Signal shown, but no service?

kahj1975

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
This is weird. I've noticed that sometimes my phone shows I have a great signal, but when I try to do anything data related, it says I have no service. It seems like an indicator is whether I see orange arcs appear over my "4G" sign. When I do, I have no problem. When I don't, then I have the problem. When it happens I end up having to turn it off and back on again. Anybody know what can be done for this issue? Thx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AC Forums mobile app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What wireless provider do you have? I'd ask them, since it might have to do with their service. You could also experiment by comparing your device with another device on the same network side by side to see if the other device gets reception while yours doesn't.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I haven't heard of this occurring before. These orange lines show that data is being transferred from the tower to your phone, so that would make sense the phone would work when it was doing that. However, these should automatically be switching on (you should see the waves go up and bounce back down when you try to use data). Is it doing this? Or is it just freezing and not doing anything? It may be a power saving feature within the radios of the phone. Does it only occur when using a certain app? Or is it across the board?

kahj1975

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
At least once a day it will do this (ie, it will show I have bars of service, but no orange arcs, and no data is getting transmitted) and I notice it across the board. Sometimes if I go to Airplane mode and then out of Airplane the arcs come back, but not always. Worst case is that I have to cycle power on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AC Forums mobile app