1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM

Default US version may have Tegra 2!!

Rumor is that the US version of the galaxy S2 may have the Tegra 2 chipset.....just mind blowing we're a major tech market MAJOR, and not only does Samsung stall release of this fabulous device but now they are planning on dumbing it down to the Tegra 2. I'm definitely not hating on the Tegra chip, but the ONE thing that had me seriously foaming at the mouth was that every single review of the euro GS2 stated that there was ABSOLUTELY no lag on that phone whatsoever, and they all tried to bog it down but couldn't. Now, the Atrix, and the G2X reviews do not say the same thing in fact a couple reviews said that the phone could be sluggish at times. I am just blown away as to why Samsung is treating US consumers so poorly with this device, the other thing is that back at MWC Samsung said that the Tegra 2 versions would also have SLCD screens and if that also happens, well.......so long Sammy.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I hope that it's not true. I have a uk sgs2 and it is FAST! I can't see them going with a slower cpu.

ROM
    VillainROM+Ninphetamine

Default Re: US version may have Tegra 2!!

if its true then ill get buying the unlocked one
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

Supposedly that model is going to be released in other Markets like Russia not the US. It's called the Samsung Galaxy R.

If this is true then its total bummer indeed. Sammy and NVIDIA must have struck a pretty good deal with each other.

ROM
    VillainROM+Ninphetamine

Quote Originally Posted by cr0wnest View Post
    If this is true then its total bummer indeed. Sammy and NVIDIA must have struck a pretty good deal with each other.
    Confirmed to be in the budget galaxy s2's(galaxy R)

I bought mine from newegg.ca the .com version has the processor listed as

Processor
    Dual-core 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 processor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset

I'm waiting on delivery, I should be getting it at the end of this week.
    Considering my unit came out of Industry,CA; I would think I'm getting an unlocked American version with the stated A9 processor.

Quote Originally Posted by DenDen2012 View Post
    I bought mine from newegg.ca the .com version has the processor listed as

Processor
    Dual-core 1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 processor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset

I'm waiting on delivery, I should be getting it at the end of this week.
    Considering my unit came out of Industry,CA; I would think I'm getting an unlocked American version with the stated A9 processor.
    Well technically there is no "American" version. At least no version has been released for the US carriers yet. For all we know the US carrier versions could end up with Tegra 2s, but as said above this news started from reports of a budget GSII (Galaxy Z or R or whatever it was).

I'll admit I've been tempted lately to buy an unbranded GSII and switch to AT&T (since the stock radios play nice with their network), but man that unsubsidized price is steep. Maybe we're just spoiled in the US with our 2 year contracts.

ROM
    Omega 7.3 4.1.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox99 View Post
    Rumor is that the US version of the galaxy S2 may have the Tegra 2 chipset.....just mind blowing we're a major tech market MAJOR, and not only does Samsung stall release of this fabulous device but now they are planning on dumbing it down to the Tegra 2. I'm definitely not hating on the Tegra chip, but the ONE thing that had me seriously foaming at the mouth was that every single review of the euro GS2 stated that there was ABSOLUTELY no lag on that phone whatsoever, and they all tried to bog it down but couldn't. Now, the Atrix, and the G2X reviews do not say the same thing in fact a couple reviews said that the phone could be sluggish at times. I am just blown away as to why Samsung is treating US consumers so poorly with this device, the other thing is that back at MWC Samsung said that the Tegra 2 versions would also have SLCD screens and if that also happens, well.......so long Sammy.

There is ZERO lag on the handset. Even out of the box. One thing I learned from the Captivate..NEVER buy an ATT branded handset again. Buy the untouched original. The S1 i9000 got all the great ROMs and customizations which were ported to the Captivate.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100
    Omega v15 JB - 4.1.2