Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ok, now i'm confused...

Well, its official my head hurts. I used to be a iphone user until i got fed up with apple. I had decided long ago to switch over to android, but i was just waiting for the right phone to come in. Eventually i ended up buying a Samsung galaxy S II and i am very very happy. Ok thats it for the background check.

Ive been reading up on the forums but somewhere down the road i got confused. I just needed to know a few things.

1. I've read somewhere that the Samsung Galaxy S II is already rooted. But when i checked up on it using the tutorial here in the forum to check if my phone is rooted or not it seems its not. I checked it using the terminal and i had a $ instead of a # as the prompt. and when i type "su" i just get the msg :not found. So is the Galaxy S2 rooted on release or do i need to do something else so that it gets rooted.

2. Also, while checking the forums, there are 4 sub categories. The Galaxy S2 for Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and the Galaxy S II. Are there any differences with these phone models? I'm from Asia, Philippines, and i bought the phone directly from Samsung, and it is not locked to any telecom here. Will that make any difference in the way i root the phone?

3. Considering the first question. If my phone needs to be rooted. i found this link Method to Root Samsung Galaxy S2 but i haven't tried it yet. Do i need to root my phone, and is this the right procedure to do it?

4. If after i discover that my phone is already rooted, of i have finished rooted it, can anyone suggest any custom UI that i can add to it? The UI of samsung is ok, but i would like to customize it myself. Secifically i want to change the lock screen, keyboard, sms look, ect. Can anyone suggest any that i could use?

5. Also, If i root my phone, will it be possible to revert back to the stock samsung UI? can anyone post a link to it?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Jekmyster; 07-11-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

Default Re: Ok, now i'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Jekmyster View Post
    Well, its official my head hurts. I used to be a iphone user until i got fed up with apple. I had decided long ago to switch over to android, but i was just waiting for the right phone to come in. Eventually i ended up buying a Samsung galaxy S II and i am very very happy. Ok thats it for the background check.

Ive been reading up on the forums but somewhere down the road i got confused. I just needed to know a few things.

1. I've read somewhere that the Samsung Galaxy S II is already rooted. But when i checked up on it using the tutorial here in the forum to check if my phone is rooted or not it seems its not. I checked it using the terminal and i had a $ instead of a # as the prompt. and when i type "su" i just get the msg :not found. So is the Galaxy S2 rooted on release or do i need to do something else so that it gets rooted..
    To my knowledge they don't come rooted, original pre-release sample were, but not retail. See here on methods to root:
    [GUIDE] And then there was ROOT ! - xda-developers

2. Also, while checking the forums, there are 4 sub categories. The Galaxy S2 for Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and the Galaxy S II. Are there any differences with these phone models? I'm from Asia, Philippines, and i bought the phone directly from Samsung, and it is not locked to any telecom here. Will that make any difference in the way i root the phone?.
    If you bought it from the samsun direct then likely it's a stock Galaxy S II, the others are carrier specific versions. Follow the root stuff from the link I posted above.

3. Considering the first question. If my phone needs to be rooted. i found this link Method to Root Samsung Galaxy S2 but i haven't tried it yet. Do i need to root my phone, and is this the right procedure to do it?.
    Not sure, I thought that was the old method pre-retail. I would compare with the link I provided from XDA.

4. If after i discover that my phone is already rooted, of i have finished rooted it, can anyone suggest any custom UI that i can add to it? The UI of samsung is ok, but i would like to customize it myself. Secifically i want to change the lock screen, keyboard, sms look, ect. Can anyone suggest any that i could use?.
    Sorry can't help here, I'm actually happy with the standard touchwiz (I know I'm a freak...)

5. Also, If i root my phone, will it be possible to revert back to the stock samsung UI? can anyone post a link to it?
    Thanks.
    Check out XDA, but if you are just rooting it, that shouldn't change the UI. If you install other launchers you can always revert to the stock one, the new launchers don't replace the stock, they just take over it's job while it remains dormant. The only time it get's hard to go back to stock is if you flash a custom rom to the device, and then it's just a matter of flashing back to a stock rom.
    Thanked by:
    tunie 

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

1. I've read somewhere that the Samsung Galaxy S II is already rooted. But when i checked up on it using the tutorial here in the forum to check if my phone is rooted or not it seems its not. I checked it using the terminal and i had a $ instead of a # as the prompt. and when i type "su" i just get the msg :not found. So is the Galaxy S2 rooted on release or do i need to do something else so that it gets rooted.

2. Also, while checking the forums, there are 4 sub categories. The Galaxy S2 for Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and the Galaxy S II. Are there any differences with these phone models? I'm from Asia, Philippines, and i bought the phone directly from Samsung, and it is not locked to any telecom here. Will that make any difference in the way i root the phone?

3. Considering the first question. If my phone needs to be rooted. i found this link Method to Root Samsung Galaxy S2 but i haven't tried it yet. Do i need to root my phone, and is this the right procedure to do it?

4. If after i discover that my phone is already rooted, of i have finished rooted it, can anyone suggest any custom UI that i can add to it? The UI of samsung is ok, but i would like to customize it myself. Secifically i want to change the lock screen, keyboard, sms look, ect. Can anyone suggest any that i could use?

Thanks.
    1. They are not manufactured rooted. If you bought from Samsung it is not rooted.

2. There currently are no GS2s from Sprint, Verizon or AT&T. Those forums are there in anticipation of carrier branded versions being released later. You have a stock GS2. Any root instructions that you find on xda or any other site should be applicable.

3. You do not need to root your phone unless you want to install custom ROMs or applications that require root, such as SetCPU, Titanium Backup and the like. I suggest going to the development section of the GS2 forum on xda for instructions.

4. There are several custom ROMs on xda. I've not tried any of them yet. I'm waiting for Cyanogen 7 to be released for it.

5. Yes, again, there are threads on xda that can give you guidance.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

>robsw - Yes, i am waiting for the Cyanogen 7 to be released to. But i'm still in the testing mode of owning a phone. Trying different stuff until i settle on a mode that fits me. So far i've drained my battery soo many times going to the market and trying out apps, and personalization apps. I'm done with that. Wanted to try out custom roms. But i wanted to know if i could revert back to the original if something goes wrong.

>D-Caf - the touchwiz is nice. But there are a few things that dont really set right with me. Primarily the keyboard. How the sms screen looks. I Also dont like the swipe to sms or swipe to call. but there are a few things i like, the video player for one. damm thing plays anything. I also like the gallery. So right now i'm mix and matching until Cyanogen 7 comes out

Thanks again guys. Really Big help.