Notification LED actually IS on the Galaxy S II?

yazadd

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
So I had just made a call on my Galaxy S II, I pulled the phone away from my ear and guess what I saw? The ambient light sensor (or whatever sensor is closest to the front facing camera) was flashing...RED :eek: This happens very often now, usually when I'm using NoLED (free on the Android Market). It's not nearly as bright as the notification LED's on many other Android phones (and some Blackberry's) but it technically could be used as a notification LED. So my questions are as follows:
1. Does your Galaxy S II do the same thing? (I have the international version, 16GB, Black)
2. Is there a developer out there who can create an app to utilise this 'hidden' feature of the Galaxy S II?

P.S. I'm new to Android Central and so far I think it's great :)

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
That is the proximity sensor. Its the sensor that detects when you move your phone away from your ear and the screen automatically lights up. Blinking red just means it's waiting to see what you're going to do, kind of like on hold. It isn't connected to noled. Yes, I wish Samsung phones had a notification led. Maybe they'll offer an OS update that will provide this functionality at some point. I'm all for that!:)

I don't think developers can utilize that or, even better, the camera led for notifications unless the OS is open source and I don't think it is. I use noled. I think it's the only game in town.

Last edited:

gsainath4u

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
As tunie above explained, it is the proximity sensor to detect the closeness of the display with any object. This detection is used to turn off the display when you put the mobile to your ear, and turn it on once you remove from the ear.

The setting to enable/disable this feature can be found here...
Settings -> Call -> "Turn on proximity sensor".
By default, it is checked. And it works only during calls.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance