Is Rooting "Permanent"?

Leonne

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys.
I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy SII with an insecure kernel (using one of these)
I'm doing all this because I want to install CyanogenMod. My question is, is this Rooting method permanent? Before I install CyanogenMod, I want to have my phone clean - That is, I want to restore it to factory settings cleaning up absolutely all my apps and all (y'know, like formatting) - Will that kill the rooting I just did?

ataraxia89

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
No, backup entire phone using CWM, you can install Cyanogen after this. When you restore the backup, it restores the entire system so will get rid of Cyanogen. After resetting you'll be able to un-root

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mredfern79

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys.
I just rooted my Samsung Galaxy SII with an insecure kernel (using one of these)
I'm doing all this because I want to install CyanogenMod. My question is, is this Rooting method permanent? Before I install CyanogenMod, I want to have my phone clean - That is, I want to restore it to factory settings cleaning up absolutely all my apps and all (y'know, like formatting) - Will that kill the rooting I just did?

I suggest going to xda and finding a thread by intratech.
Download the firmware that came on your phone. Keep this in a safe place as this will be your restore to factory settings if you develop a hardware fault.
On xda find another thread this time by Chainfire.
Download and flash one of these kernels. It is advisable to flash a kernel that relates to your current firmware though it is not a necessity.
Now boot into recovery by pressing and holding volume up + home + power. Using the hard keys run a backup.

Download cm7 and push to your internal sd card. Reboot into recovery.
Wipe data, cache and dalvik cache.
Flash the cm7 zip twice. Yes twice then reboot.
The last nightly is more stable than the stable build. Long story but definitely go with the latest nightly. There are still issues with sound through headphones and video playback.
Development has stopped as teamhacksung is working hard to bring ICS goodness to the SGS2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk