Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Blackberry-Type app notifications application

Hello!

Althought i just recently registered to androidcentral, ive been actively following this and crackberry site for over a year now. Ive been a BB user for many many years, and knew how to use my BB in anyway you put it.

Recently i switched from BB after so long, and its undeniable that the BB does a good job in the notificacion department.So now that i got my brand new S2, im a complete noob with android. which is why i am now venting on these forums a little confusion i ran into:

is there any way to make my S2 notify me the way the BB does? not talking about the led notification, but the red asterisk that pops over an app when you get a msg? i know the top bar shows notifications, but sometimes they dont all show up at the same time or after some time they just go away, even if you never read the msg.

also i heard thet even though there is no led, you can use your screen for showing a led-type notification. is that true?

cant find any apps for either of these.

thanks!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Default Re: Blackberry-Type app notifications application

no one? thats a cold welcome

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

I'm exactly in the same boat with you. Same BB experience.

The S2 has a led but it's only used to show that it's charging.

Another thing that I miss from BB is the custom sounds for just about anything that makes a chirp on the device.

Not a deal breaker for me, but sure are missed functions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

same with me bro!

i like android being full customizable....visually...but in the notifications department it falls a bit short...i gotta say i expected more for a very complete OS, but like you said, not a deal breaker for me either.

i guess you cant have the best of both worlds hehe

Try "noled" from the android market,(its free) works great for me. Displays an icon on the black screen.
    Thanked by 2:

ROM
    Huh? - Not that technical

I tried 'noled' on my S2 but was never able to get it working.

Another option I read about I think, but didn't try, is if you install Cyanogenmod that there was a hack or something to control the lights in the return and menu button icons at the bottom of the screen... basically you could light them up as a notification.

I think the only high end Android phone that gets an notification light is the Motorola Atrix... Hopefully they add it to the S3 as it is something I miss. You really feel disconnected when you don't know what is going on but maybe that is a good thing as I look at my phone a lot less now.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

true that. i tried noled, and it was working as intended EXCEPT that when locking the phone it would start blinking to "notify" me that beejive was still connected in the background basically i had to lock it once, get that notificacion, unlock it, and lock it again.

im an android noob what exactly is cyanogenmod been looking for that but still not sure what it is.

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

I use go sms for txt messages. It has a pop up window for txt.

As far as email, the notifications for gmail will not go away unless you acknowledge it. You can configure it within the app to notify you every time you get a mess our just once.

I like a lot of users on here came from the BB world and missed the sounds. I use whoisit. You can get it in the market.

Let me know if this helps. I have a lot of apps to customize this phone.

Sent from my SHW-M250K using Tapatalk
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2