Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By cjones
  • 1 Post By Premium1
  • 1 Post By elvisgp
  • 1 Post By sooby77
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default First official 4.0.3 update video

The first and only video I have been able to find just posted hours ago for what appears to be an unmodified official update. The guy doesn't seem to know what differences to look for but it doesn't appear too much has changed in appearance. I was expecting to see more blue font throughout the phone and nexus style icons but I guess the added functions are what really matters

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

Default Re: First official 4.0.3 update video

I updated mine and it works wonderfully. It was unstable at first due to PhoneWeaver not being completely compatible. Once i update PhoneWeaver, everything else works. I was on XWKK5 and I did an update without wiping. Works great. Thrilled to be rocking ICS finally!

I watched that video and now I'm never gonna get that time back again. What a terrible video. He should be banned from youtube.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    I watched that video and now I'm never gonna get that time back again. What a terrible video. He should be banned from youtube.
    Agree, that was by far one of the worst videos I have ever watched.
    phantom701 likes this.

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Here's a much better video showing off the features of the new ICS update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    mehmednaim likes this.

How do i update to official ICS

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Quote Originally Posted by kjawaid View Post
    How do i update to official ICS
    If you are not rooted, go to settings. About phone, check for updates. Make sure u have good battery life and possibly connected to wifi so it can download faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    I agree, It's incoherent, amateurest and should be given credibilty.

I think the battery is the bigest problem for its short llife when i bought my first tablet pc i can ues it for 10 hours after being charged after one month it can only ran for 5 hours then 2 hour at last it shoud be charged all the time to keep it ran.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

is this for just the sg2? or also the skyrocket?

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

There you go, professional video:
    Thanked by:
    cjones 
    cjones likes this.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how folders work in the GSII ICS update? I can't find any videos or info about that. Does the update offer stock 4.0 folder functionality where you can simply combine two apps together to create a folder with a lovely icon or do they keep the ugly manila folders of sense?

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Can you switch to the ICS launcher instead of using touchwiz? You switch by going to manage applications, looking for twlauncher and removing the default. Then hit the home button and the phone will give you the choice which launcher to use. This worked in the leaked builds, does it work in the official still?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Can you switch to the ICS launcher instead of using touchwiz? You switch by going to manage applications, looking for twlauncher and removing the default. Then hit the home button and the phone will give you the choice which launcher to use. This worked in the leaked builds, does it work in the official still?
    Just checked, if find twlaucher, but remove the defult is disabled..... but thats maybe because i don't have 2nd launcher installed

Quote Originally Posted by razgri5 View Post
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know how folders work in the GSII ICS update? I can't find any videos or info about that. Does the update offer stock 4.0 folder functionality where you can simply combine two apps together to create a folder with a lovely icon or do they keep the ugly manila folders of sense?
    Nope, it seams is stack ics exclusive launcher feature.... and i think you mean touchwiz
    Thanked by:

Awesome. You're saying they stack like ICS?

Ah snap. Yeah I did mean touchwiz. Heh, sorry. Had just gotten done reading a sense 4.0 preview and wondering if HTC was worth looking back into since jumping ship from my EVO to my GSII...

thats realy good operation system we all need it.

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blkdrgn613 View Post
    is this for just the sg2? or also the skyrocket?
    This is the I9100 International version for select countries update.

The AT&T I777 SG2 is still gonna be a while. Skyrocket could be longer or the same time.

Hi, could anyone help to confirm that upgrading will not wipe all our previous data? I could easily backup sms/contacts, but those chat history in google talk, viber, and other apps' data would be nearly impossible to backup except on a rooted phone.
    Thanks..

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    Just checked, if find twlaucher, but remove the defult is disabled..... but thats maybe because i don't have 2nd launcher installed
    So you're saying you can't do this....?

Grrrrr!

Thanks for checking....and, maybe double checking after watching that video

I always thought the GS II was an awesome phone. Watching the vid's it looks like everything almost looks and acts the same so I am wondering after upgrading to ICS what additional functionality is provided? Does the phone work faster, is there better multi tasking, better use of the GPU? What are the improvements?

Global Posts
    4,491 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    I always thought the GS II was an awesome phone. Watching the vid's it looks like everything almost looks and acts the same so I am wondering after upgrading to ICS what additional functionality is provided? Does the phone work faster, is there better multi tasking, better use of the GPU? What are the improvements?
    Most of the changes are under the hood, and unfortunately Samsung is covering the now rather pretty ICS with a almost unmodified version of Touchwiz. GPU acceleration for the OS was one of the biggest talking points when ICS was launched, and if you look in the settings, you will that it indeed is present. The GS2 is so fast a phone though that it really doesn't seem to make a difference, you can't make super smooth even smoother. On other phones, mainly HTC ones that had Sense 3.0 and Sense 3.5, you can clearly see the difference, those phones run much smoother after the ICS update. The task manager is different, you can swipe apps off the screen to close them. The browser is new and improved and I believe they finally added a rotational transition when going from portrait in landscape mode, which is mostly noticeable in the browser since Touchwiz still doesn't support landscape mode. You get face unlock as a security feature, seems more like a gimmick if you ask me, would love to see someone unlock their phone in the dark. Another nice added feature is to be able to log and see your data usage. ICS has a nice way of making folders, iPhone style, just drag one app over another to create a folder, but from what I have seen Samsung took that out since it has it's own build in folder feature already built into Touchwiz.

On every leak you were able to remove the default setting from Touchwiz from within "manage applications", but apparently this ability doesn't exist in the final official build, keeping us from using the default ICS launcher instead of Touchwiz.

I am sure there are a lot of other features in ICS that I didn't mention, but that's all I can think of from the top of my head.