A noobie wishes to root his GSII

Bilaal

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So, I've heard some good things on why rooting an Android phone is beneficial in a lot of ways. However, coming from BlackBerry, I'm CLUELESS in where to even start :-[

Custom OS? ROMS? Kernals? Baseband Versions? I need a definitive guide, because each guide seems to say different things.

Here is the info from my phone:

Model Number = GT-I9100
Android Version = 4.0.3
Baseband Version = I9100XXLPS
Kernel Version = 3.0.15-I9100XWLP7-CL340913-dpi@DELL134 #3
Build Number = IML74K.XWLP7

Does it matter if I install a different basedband version/Kernal and Build?

ANY info will be appreciated. Thank you.

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I used this site to root my GS2 (ICS) yesterday. I'm a total noob. It was a lil tricky to start (finding extracted zip files). Once I got that down, it was easy! Have fun! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

BCwrangler

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Go through the rooting guides on this site and reputable links posted. and just be sure you have a good understanding what's happening with rooting and flashing kernels

SwtBlueEyes

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded this teetherin program & it's not working. Please help.

Its saying not root. Sorry but your kernal doesn't have all necessary features for running this app. Then it says tethering showing errors. Then asked if rooted.

Do I need 2 download again??

BCwrangler

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded this teetherin program & it's not working. Please help.

Its saying not root. Sorry but your kernal doesn't have all necessary features for running this app. Then it says tethering showing errors. Then asked if rooted.

Do I need 2 download again??

You need too do some reading on rooting and hopefully then you can explain what you've got installed on your phone or computer?...because your post is pretty confusing

gxgs

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
So, I've heard some good things on why rooting an Android phone is beneficial in a lot of ways. However, coming from BlackBerry, I'm CLUELESS in where to even start :-[

Custom OS? ROMS? Kernals? Baseband Versions? I need a definitive guide, because each guide seems to say different things.

Here is the info from my phone:

Model Number = GT-I9100
Android Version = 4.0.3
Baseband Version = I9100XXLPS
Kernel Version = 3.0.15-I9100XWLP7-CL340913-dpi@DELL134 #3
Build Number = IML74K.XWLP7

Does it matter if I install a different basedband version/Kernal and Build?

ANY info will be appreciated. Thank you.
Easy ways,
You need an insecure kernel flashed via odin and then use superoneclick to root. Or, use odin to flash cfroot and thats it. Or, I think you can flash cfroot via the recovery of the stock android OS, not sure, never tried it.

Dont worry about custom OS or ROMs or baseband. What you need is a rooted kernel.

In a ROM package you have kernel, os with apps, modem (baseband) and regional information. You can use any baseband you want with a ROM (unless specified contrary). Kernel can be any compatible one for your android version (unless specified contrary) and build number is just a number.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This may be a good place to Start
galaxys2root.com
;)
This is where I went to root my GS2. Definitely the most detailed instructions with videos. I didn't even lose any data on my phone when I rooted it. Took about an hour total to do it. But most of that time was reading and watching everything 5 times to make sure I did it right. For the most part it was pretty easy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums