Galaxy S2: How can I turn off e-mail notification sound

polarbeart

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a SGS II X that I just updated to ICS and now I am getting constant audible notifications for e-mails received and it is super annoying. This is for the standard e-mail app (i.e. for exchange accounts, etc). I can't find any notification settings in the application or anywhere to change the audible tone to silent. I have changed my Gmail and SMS audible tones to silent, but in the native e-mail app there is no audible choice.

Is there anyway to turn this off other than turning the phone on Silent?
Any help is appreciated as this is very annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On my S2 running ICS I can do this in the email app as follows:
Settings.
Tap on the name of my account

Notifications
Ringtone
Sounds.
Silent.

Not sure how the S2 X differs from the S2 but hope this helps a bit. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

briannewl

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: How can I turn off e-mail notification sound

I have a SGS II X that I just updated to ICS and now I am getting constant audible notifications for e-mails received and it is super annoying. This is for the standard e-mail app (i.e. for exchange accounts, etc). I can't find any notification settings in the application or anywhere to change the audible tone to silent. I have changed my Gmail and SMS audible tones to silent, but in the native e-mail app there is no audible choice.

Is there anyway to turn this off other than turning the phone on Silent?
Any help is appreciated as this is very annoying.

I'm having the same exact problem and wondered if you found a solution. What is ICS?

Fabricatore

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

I have the same problem with Motorola Triumph. Everytime I get an email, the phone buzzes twice.

If anyone has a solution to resolve this annoying problem, I would be most grateful.

Thank you

anon(284786)

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Are you guys using the gmail app or the stock e-mail client? If it's the gmail app you can turn the vibration on/off and change the notification message by doing the following:
- open gmail app
- press meny button
- click settings
- click the account you want to change settings for
- you can turn off all notifications (sound and vib) by unchecking the 'email notifications' box.
- If you want to adjust one and not the other, select 'Ringtone & vibrate' and then you can change the settings there.

Hope that helps. Not sure how to change it in the stock email app since I never got around to using it.

Mclouatre

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

If its the same as the samsung galaxy s 3 then you have to go to accounts and sync, then touch your email account and then it gives two options, settings and your account, click on your account and there will be a box to check or uncheck for notifications. It took me forever to figure this out! lol. Hope this helps!

BrianDL923

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site

I ran into this problem as well. Try...
Settings > Language and Input > Text-to-speech output > Uncheck "Driving mode"

Hope this helps!

Karentran

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site

ICS = Ice Cream Sandwich Version. I was having the same problem and it was so annoying. But I finally figured it out. For my phone, the Samsung Galaxy S2, I clicked onto my gmail app and clicked on the menu key, then to go Label Settings, Email Notifications, and unclick the box. Hope this helps. :)

Helen_1234

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I recently bought a Samsung Note 2. I tried setting the email notification to silent, but it doesn't work. Does anybody know why?

This email is making a sound notifications, especially overnight, I want to kill the phone!

Christian McClain

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Thank you! My phone drives me crazy when it has to ding in the middle of the night to let me know that I've just received another piece of junk mail. Now I can finally turn it off.

More2Say

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

If its the same as the samsung galaxy s 3 then you have to go to accounts and sync, then touch your email account and then it gives two options, settings and your account, click on your account and there will be a box to check or uncheck for notifications. It took me forever to figure this out! lol. Hope this helps!

This is a Perfect how to - Quick results...Thanks!

PJ Crittenden

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I did not want to receive emails on my phone at all except when I decided I needed to check an email, when I was out and I was expecting an urgent message. Why receive emails on my phone when I am sitting in front of a computer all day?

So I clicked on the bottom left on the phone (not on the screen), pressed "Settings", then on "More...". Down the bottom of that list is "Mobile Networks", press that and make sure "Use packet data" and "Data roaming" are off.

I receive calls and texts, no problem. But I am not not connected to the internet at all. It should make the battery last longer too. (If I need to check emails when out and about I just turn it back on for a while.)

Stoutwoman

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site

I've had my new phone only a few days and love it ... but very puzzled. Seems I was able to turn off the annoying notification sound for Yahoo Mail the first day. Now it's back and I can't find the option to turn it off again. Did something change?

Pat Smith1

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site

Ok, I think this works, after many hours of trying to figure it out. Go to the email, then click the menu, settings. THEN, CHECK the email notifications box. This will give the ringtone option right under it to select the ringtone notification for the sound you want. CHECK SILENT!

Hope this works!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15