Straight Talk Galaxy S2 -- Rooting/upgrading to JellyBean?

doni49

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I was at Walmart today looking at the Straight Talk GS2. It's still got Gingerbread.

Can I root and upgrade to Jelly Bean? I like JB a lot better than GB. Is there a ROM available to flash--or would I even need a new ROM?

onick

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
S2 has already got official jelly bean rom from Samsung. So most likely you can upgrade it directly from Samsung with kies. If that failed, and the phone is international version you don't need to root it to Flash jellybean. All you need is odin and official jelly bean rom from Samsung which are widely available in sammobile. There's are also many third-party rom available like CM rom.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

doni49

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Here is a video walkthrough:
Root & Custom Rom on Galaxy S2 (SGH959G) from Straight Talk - YouTube

Read the forums too, its very important to know what you are doing and why.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1982571

Thanks. I watched the video and it does look reasonably simple. If I should want/need to revert to OOTB, does the zip that CWMRecovery created enable that? Meaning is it reverted to exactly what it was before the flash?

BTW sorry for the delayed response. I never got an email telling there had been a reply.

doni49

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
After I thought about it some more, I decided that had to be the case (the backup would enable reverting to OOTB).

So went for it. I'm now running CM10.

There are a few kinks I need to iron out. But for the most part, I like it.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781