Jellybean Upgrade - DON'T DO IT

Derek63

May 7, 2013
Visit site
My advice is DON'T DO IT!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago i accepted a firmware update to Jellybean. I think i had Gingerbread before that and I regret it big time and I am very angry about it. I have rang Samsung and been to their service centre demanding to have it rolled back to Gingerbread and they said it can't be done because once you update to Jellybean it writes a piece of software on it that means you cannot roll it back to a previous software version.

The reasons i hate Jellybean are as follows:
1. Everything is now so much slower to respond. There is a lapse of a second or two before things open after you click on it.
2. How DUMB IS THIS? You now have to click on the ballon of the latest incoming message to get rid of the notification on your messages icon. Who is the ***** that thought that was a great idea?? Do a software update and now have to do an extra couple of clicks to do a basic thing like reading text message.
3. Doing a firmware update completely changes the personal layout you previously created. It is like having a new phone you have to get used to and learn all over again. I f-cken hate it. I lost a wallpaper i liked and can't find it again.
4. The Accuweather.com widget has changed in size (about twice the size) so i can't fit it on my home screen anymore and it used to show the min and max temp of the day and the current temp. Now you can't see the min and max temp of the current day, even when you click on the app to expand on the whole week.
5. Previous version had a Home button, not anymore!!

Firmware upgrades should come with a WARNING. They (Samsung) told me they give you these warnings in the Terms and Conditions. Well every app download comes with terms and conditions and it is something we are just conditioned to accept without reading them. I will strongly consider buying a different brand next time around.

pufulete

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Finally someone agrees with me.

Heres a little tip:
Odin - is the name of the software that you need to find, study and use...

Duane Pickett

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded my galaxy s2 to jellybean and it works great...the only problem I had was my picture mail wouldn't work so I had to get my msl number from boost mobile and change up a few numbers to get it working... There's a video on you tube that shows you what to change and add to make picture mail work...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Ummm jellybean is 100% better then gb. I wouldn't even touch a GB phone anymore not only can u swipe away to get rid of notifications u can expand them now. And since when could u have done that in gb anyway? And response to the slowness its because jb uses animations to open apps and such but u go to settings development settings and turn all animations to .5 or 0.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

Derek63

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Finally someone agrees with me.

Heres a little tip:
Odin - is the name of the software that you need to find, study and use...
I Googled and found some links to this before but it looks like quite a process but does this actually work? Samsung told me a piece of software is written with an upgrade to Jellybean that means it cannot be downgraded to a previous version.

Derek63

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Ummm jellybean is 100% better then gb. I wouldn't even touch a GB phone anymore not only can u swipe away to get rid of notifications u can expand them now. And since when could u have done that in gb anyway? And response to the slowness its because jb uses animations to open apps and such but u go to settings development settings and turn all animations to .5 or 0.

What about text messages? The only way you can get rid of text message notifications is to click on the specific balloon of the incoming text. That means a tedious extra click and a couple of seconds I don't have to spare. Why the hell have they done this?

On a positive note, the new Calender in Jellybean is far superior to the old one. I just tried voice command and it is very good and accurate. My only complaint there is it appears you still cannot use Voice Command to make a calender entry like you can on iPhones. You have to open Calender and click on the voice command on the keyboard. I want a one click service so i can make an appointment while i'm driving.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What about text messages? The only way you can get rid of text message notifications is to click on the specific balloon of the incoming text. That means a tedious extra click and a couple of seconds I don't have to spare. Why the hell have they done this?

On a positive note, the new Calender in Jellybean is far superior to the old one. I just tried voice command and it is very good and accurate. My only complaint there is it appears you still cannot use Voice Command to make a calender entry like you can on iPhones. You have to open Calender and click on the voice command on the keyboard. I want a one click service so i can make an appointment while i'm driving.

No just swipe the message away. That's it that's all.

amaniomis

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I think learn how to use JB first before going into a Rant.

All your problems are fixable (not really a fix just learn how to use)

There are also loads of new features which are great, especially the eye that pops up to see you are looking at the phone screen so don't dim the page.

Its not perfect but then nothing is which is why updates are incremental.

I do currently have a bug though with my Google contacts and calendar not synchronizing since update

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

Derek63

May 7, 2013
Visit site
No just swipe the message away. That's it that's all.

I'm not talking about in the Notifications window, I am talking about the Messages icon, it shows a red number showing the number of text messages you have. Previously you only had to open the message and see the whole conversation and the notification disappeared, now you have to tap on the specific message (or balloon) for the notification to disappear. It is a pain in the arse and totally unnecessary!!!

Stuart Piper

May 13, 2013
Visit site
have to agree with Derek, had JB on my Tab so i know how to use it. Both mine and my wife's phones got updated to JB a few days ago, what a pile of rubbish. Everything is now slow, apps crash or refuse to load, apps run without permission or being started, NO email notifications, what good is a smart fone that does not check or let you know you have emails!!! Totally unbelievable that this is so bad. I was full of praise for the S2, reliable and fast, did everything i wanted, now they destroy it all. Probably to force us all to upgrade to a new phone, well if i do.......................it ain't gonne be to a Samsung thats for sure!

Derek63

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Stuart, the lesson i learn from this is don't do a firmware upgrade in future no matter who the manufacturer is without at least first doing some research such as this on forums and maybe visiting the manufacturer website to view the changes and ring customer service to ask what effect an upgrade will have on the phone. Must admit i had experienced this before with previous firmware upgrades with Samsung and also my previous Nokia phone. I haven't had the problem with email notifications not working thank god! Maybe check your settings or give Samsung a call.

Here is another problem I have had since upgrading to JB. One of my apps I use often is called mSecure (which i recommend to anyone by the way). It password protects all my username and password information as well as anything else i want to record securely. Since upgrading to JB the app has just disappeared, fortunately when i download it again my saved information is still there but a day or so later it disappears again. I emailed mSecure and they said this was a common problem with JB and they said it was due to part of the app being saved on the phone and part on the SD card. They gave me instructions using application manager to shift the app from the SD card to the phone. I did that a couple of days ago and it seems to have solved the problem.

If your apps are disappearing go to application manager and shift the app from the SD card to phone. I agree with you, i think they (Samsung) are trying to get people to upgrade their phone. I think the reason JB is slower on the Samsung Galaxy Sll is it is a bit fancier and requires a faster processor. In other words it is not designed to run on the Galaxy Sll which is a dual core processor. I have also had other applications freeze up on me like Words with Friends, which runs noticeably slower on Jellybean.

My next phone will not be a Samsung.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
With most electronic device I had u have to reset after an update. Not just android my PC too.

onick

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Have any one tried reseting their phone after upgrading to jelly bean? I did a factory reset after upgrading to jb and have none of the slowdown. It actually feels smoother than ics. So next time when you face slowdown or errors do a factory reset first and see if it's fixed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

Derek63

May 7, 2013
Visit site
With most electronic device I had u have to reset after an update. Not just android my PC too.

I was loath to do this as that means having to re-download all your apps again, log into accounts and generally set up your phone again the way you like it. After talking to Samsung again, i was told I could have my phone flashed at the service centre in Sydney (the Perth service centre cannot do it) but he told me to back up my phone first and do a factory reset. I had all sorts of drama's backing up and had to uninstall Keis and reinstall it because even though it said back up was successful, the files were not there. After reinstalling Keis I was able to back up successfully and performed the facotry reset and I am glad to say it has solved most of my complaints listed in my opening post, mostly being the speed of the phone since upgrading to JB.

The message notification problem went the other way where i wasn't getting one at all so i rang Samsung this morning and they said because I am using a 3rd party message application the new firmware allows more control and therefore the message notification is now overridden so i uninstalled the third party message app and notifications now works as it used to before the firmware upgrade and also the new firmware allows you to send a much larger text message before it is converted to MMS. This was the primary reason i used a 3rd party message app previously. If anyone wants to be able to send larger text messages just go to messaging, settings, creation mode and select "restricted". That allows you to send up to 3 x 160 character messages in one message before it converts to MMS.

If I had my time over again I still would not have done this upgrade because it has cost me so much time and frustration and for little gain, something software manufacturers should take into consideration when recommending firmware upgrades.

AgerB

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree, Samsung maybe a mistake when they released the Jelly Bean update for our phone. I have the Galaxy II HD LTE from Bell and with the recent update of Jelly Bean my phone is a piece of junk. I have all kinds of problems with this thing now, its slow as molasses, freezes at least 4 times a day, restarts itself, is non responsive causing me to restart it or pull the battery, cannot answer phone calls, shall I go on...

I have done several resets and they have not helped with the operation of the phone at all. I have also been on the phone with Samsung and they cannot do anything for me, they claim that there is something wrong with the phone and it needs to be sent in for repair. I find that a little hard to believe since everything worked perfect and was fast when running Ice Cream Sandwich. They should at least have an option to roll back to the previous version (Ice Cream Sandwich).

alanhayward

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, it's too late for me, i took the upgrade (didn't 'upgrade' used to mean better?) and do I regret it. I was so p*ssed off, that I've actually switched to the Windows phone platform and I love it. My Nokia Lumia 620 is easy to use and I won't be returning to Android after this experience.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci