Bizarre S2 Problem rendering phone unusable.

Philip Wilson1

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has come across the same problem I have, I've searched the web high and low and found no-one complaining of the same thing so thought I'd finally take the plunge and ask for some expert opinion.

I have a GT-i9100 and I think that I must have removed a battery whilst something fairly critical was happening. now whenever I put in a battery it will automatically turn itself on (much slower than it would have done previously) and load to the pattern unlock screen which would freeze entirely with a message along the bottom stating "Currently unable to download. Please try again later." which I understand to be a problem with receiving mms. The hard buttons appear to be non functioning and the two soft buttons are constantly illuminated.

I have tried replacing the battery and preformed soft and hard resets (http://androidforums.com/3240969-post170.html) all to no avail. The phone will not boot into recovery mode but will boot into download mode and I believe that I could install another ROM to fix the issue instead (although I'm not precisely sure how to go about that I found plenty of guides online) however there are certain files (namely photos, contacts and memos) that I would really like to recover.

I also tried connecting the phone to the computer to grab files off of it but it neither shows up in kies or explorer and occasionally comes up with an error alerting me that the recently added usb device has malfunctioned. I believe that the phone is reasonably up to date with firmware unless vodafone have released one very recently. and I have tried everything I can think of/ find online to try.

Any help or pointers to help would be unbelievably appreciated.
many thanks

Phil.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone has come across the same problem I have, I've searched the web high and low and found no-one complaining of the same thing so thought I'd finally take the plunge and ask for some expert opinion.

I have a GT-i9100 and I think that I must have removed a battery whilst something fairly critical was happening. now whenever I put in a battery it will automatically turn itself on (much slower than it would have done previously) and load to the pattern unlock screen which would freeze entirely with a message along the bottom stating "Currently unable to download. Please try again later." which I understand to be a problem with receiving mms. The hard buttons appear to be non functioning and the two soft buttons are constantly illuminated.

I have tried replacing the battery and preformed soft and hard resets (http://androidforums.com/3240969-post170.html) all to no avail. The phone will not boot into recovery mode but will boot into download mode and I believe that I could install another ROM to fix the issue instead (although I'm not precisely sure how to go about that I found plenty of guides online) however there are certain files (namely photos, contacts and memos) that I would really like to recover.

I also tried connecting the phone to the computer to grab files off of it but it neither shows up in kies or explorer and occasionally comes up with an error alerting me that the recently added usb device has malfunctioned. I believe that the phone is reasonably up to date with firmware unless vodafone have released one very recently. and I have tried everything I can think of/ find online to try.

Any help or pointers to help would be unbelievably appreciated.
many thanks

Phil.

Welcome to the forums!
You can try to connect to Kies on a PC and see if you can recover the ROM.

Philip Wilson1

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
it won't connect to kies at all but I have no managed to get it into recovery mode. I had a look at using adb to take my files back but it doesn't seem to want to do anything on my computer and frankly I don't understand it :|

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
it won't connect to kies at all but I have no managed to get it into recovery mode. I had a look at using adb to take my files back but it doesn't seem to want to do anything on my computer and frankly I don't understand it :|

You can try to flash the stock ROM via Odin.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae