Help! My phone restarted itself to factory but it didn't really :/ Samsung T989

aimeeejean

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
My device is a Samsung Galaxy S2X (T-989) on Telus Mobility network in Canada.

So I am on instagram and all of a sudden my phone shuts off and sticks on the Samsung start up screen. I hold power, home and volume up to restart. It comes to the welcome screen as I if I had just opened it from the box asking me to sign in to gmail and so forth. Nothing is on my phone no apps, contacts, pictures nothing! When it started to install apps again it came up saying insufficient storage :/ So I plugged it into kies on my desktop computer and looked in the file explorer and low and behold everything is there!!! But it still won't show up on my phone.

Is there a way to get my stuff to show back up on my phone, or do I have to do a real factory reset? I can save photos from my computer to my desktop, but I am not sure where to locate contacts, which is what I really care about. I have a backup from about 4 months ago that should have contacts there. I dunno what to do?? Any Help please.

Thank you! :confused:

Edit1: So I removed all my data from phone to my computer through explorer and i'm doing a factory reset right now ... I have backup of contacts from 4 months ago .... just waiting let see if it works :O

Edit 2: So I was able to reinstall my apps without the full storage error, only thing is I go into Kies on desktop and all my files are still on my phone it shows through the explorer (but I still don't see on my phone) if anyone has experienced this before or how to delete those files as I do have it all backed up now. Thanks.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My device is a Samsung Galaxy S2X (T-989) on Telus Mobility network in Canada.

So I am on instagram and all of a sudden my phone shuts off and sticks on the Samsung start up screen. I hold power, home and volume up to restart. It comes to the welcome screen as I if I had just opened it from the box asking me to sign in to gmail and so forth. Nothing is on my phone no apps, contacts, pictures nothing! When it started to install apps again it came up saying insufficient storage :/ So I plugged it into kies on my desktop computer and looked in the file explorer and low and behold everything is there!!! But it still won't show up on my phone.

Is there a way to get my stuff to show back up on my phone, or do I have to do a real factory reset? I can save photos from my computer to my desktop, but I am not sure where to locate contacts, which is what I really care about. I have a backup from about 4 months ago that should have contacts there. I dunno what to do?? Any Help please.

Thank you! :confused:

So I removed all my data from phone to my computer through explorer and i'm doing a factory reset right now ... I have backup of contacts from 4 months ago .... just waiting let see if it works :O

Welcome to the forums!
Sorry, I just saw your thread now.
A reset should do everything you need it to. It kinda sucks, but sometimes those are the breaks.

BeeJonge

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
This has just happened to me. I sent a text, drove to work and when I got there the phone had reset itself. I have all my pictures but nothing else. No contacts, apps, texts etc. Is there any way I can get it back without doing a factory reset? I have had issues with Kies since I got the phone so my back up is from a long time ago and it is not cooperating now either. When I try to use it like a USB mass storage device it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting itself so I cannot transfer anything (also a problem I had before this happened). Is there anything I can do?