Galaxy S II - I'm stumped... Unable to charge while turned on, only original charger works at all...

flyingdroid

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, :)

I'm not sure how this happened, but for the past couple of months I haven't been able to charge my phone while it is turned on. It shows the charging animation but the battery still drains, even with all radios off and screen off. I can leave it charging all night and end up with a nearly flat battery. Plugging it in to any wall socket seems to only slow the draining, and plugging it in to a fully powered USB socket (many tried) keeps it at the same battery level, or very slowly charges it if I don't use it. If I turn it off however, I can charge it until full in the normal time with the original AC charger.

Here's the really strange part: I've tried several new chargers of different brands including samsung and it makes no difference. Not only that, but they won't charge it when powered off either making them completely ineffective. It just doesn't initialize the charge properly - the screen either shows a battery with a progress circle over and over again without getting to the charging animation, or displays the charging animation over and over and never charges at all, but nevertheless gets hot.

The chargers I've tried are:

Cygnet for samsung phones including SGS-II
Belkin for Samsung phones including SGS-II
Premium blackberry travel charger
Premium 10W 2A Samsung travel adaptor
One charger that did seem to work while plugged in was from a new Sony Xperia Windows phone charger I borrowed once.

I've exchanged at the store 3 times now with the same result! It must be something wrong with the hardware or software...

I've calibrated the battery, I've had a new battery for a couple of months and normally still lasts all day and more on a full charge. It is a 3rd party high quality Anker battery. The problem is the battery is getting a lot more taxed now that I'm using 3G over the portable hotspot, so its not quite lasting the day anymore.

I've had countless custom ROMs on there now, current ROM is CyanogenMod 10.1 stable. Would returning to stock then reinstalling help?

Something that shouldn't matter is I've moved from the UK to Australia. I'm still using the English charger as its the only one that works. And the Xperia charger that seemed to work was Australian too.

Before it got this bad I think it was getting slower and slower to charge. I had to replace the old USB cable that eventually broke and i've tried several with no difference in effects.

In the attached screenshot, you will see on the left the AC charger is plugged in while battery level goes down, then on the far right its plugged in to a computer and is kept level.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-21-12-50-55.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-21-12-50-55.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

davidwal83

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
My friend had this problem with her Boost S2. She ended up getting a aftermarket battery and external charger off of Amazon. She just charges the old battery and new battery on the external charger. I hope this info is useful, you probably have moved on from this phone to another.