Stuck in CWM-recovery; Can't mount sdcard or restore

pl4cebo

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,
I kind of did a really dumb thing to my phone, I blindly followed this guide to upgrade to KitKat 4.4 with CM 11 without actually knowing what i was doing.
The dumb thing is that I actually know nothing about modding android like this an I thought I could get it done just by following the steps.
Anyway when I tried to install CM from the zip it gave out an error that ended with 'aborting installation'.

Now the phone boots straight into the CWM-recovery-screen, I can't install zip from sdcard because it won't mount the sdcard, when I try restore my backups from internal sdcard it says 'MD5 mismatch!'.
Also I cant turn off the phone, it will boot straight into that cwm-screen even if I take out the battery and put it back in. I can however boot into download mode if I'm fast enough.

Device is I9100, I had it rooted with odin before so it wasn't on stock firmware.

I'd appreciate any help, as I said I'm a complete newbie to this and I have no idea what to do.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey there,
I kind of did a really dumb thing to my phone, I blindly followed this guide to upgrade to KitKat 4.4 with CM 11 without actually knowing what i was doing.
The dumb thing is that I actually know nothing about modding android like this an I thought I could get it done just by following the steps.
Anyway when I tried to install CM from the zip it gave out an error that ended with 'aborting installation'.

Now the phone boots straight into the CWM-recovery-screen, I can't install zip from sdcard because it won't mount the sdcard, when I try restore my backups from internal sdcard it says 'MD5 mismatch!'.
Also I cant turn off the phone, it will boot straight into that cwm-screen even if I take out the battery and put it back in. I can however boot into download mode if I'm fast enough.

Device is I9100, I had it rooted with odin before so it wasn't on stock firmware.

I'd appreciate any help, as I said I'm a complete newbie to this and I have no idea what to do.

Welcome to the forums.
I am retracing your steps. Hang on.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't know how or why these steps were wrong but a buddy of mine said whoever wrote that guide is clueless and isn't helping anyone. :(

The majority of the comments at the bottom of the page are about failed attempts, nearly bricking and how its an unsafe method. Besides, just downloading it shows that its meant for the Note and not your device.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey there,

Here is what i have been able to find. There is no CM 11 on Cyanogen's website. Hence, there is no official 4.4 ROM. I took a look at your link. The steps are for the most part correct, but the file provided was for the Galaxy Note. The ROM may have been ported, but it must have been done so incorrectly. Essentially, what happened was an improper ROM was flashed to the wrong device.
Not your fault. This is a result of poor research.

Right now your only hope is to see if a JTAG service can help.
JTAG Unbrick Service « Bricked my Phone
Now, I have not dealt with this site/service before so I can not verify how well it works. But right now as far as I know it is your only option.

Lawrence of a Labia

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually, according to the OP, the rom never flashed, which is actually a good thing. Although the N7000 pretty has much the same hardware as the i9100, no one should be flashing the that rom except for those with experience. Whoever wrote that article is an irresponsible *****. However, if the flash went through, it wouldn't have hard bricked the phone.

**EDIT: OP, have you selected reboot system now in recovery? Since the rom didn't flash, the phone should boot back normally.

Because you are able to get into download mode, you can "ODIN" back to stock. Follow the guide in this link: [GUIDE][ICS/JB] 26/12 - Flash Stock firmware/ROM + Root & SIM Unlock[AIO] - xda-developers

From there, you can try out OmniROM if you still feel like trying out 4.4 KitKat. The rom is maintained by several developers who used to used to maintain CyanogenMod for Exynos based devices (Team Hacksung).

Last edited:

pl4cebo

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
first of all thanks for your responses!

About the thing being for the Note: I thought so too at first but the filename of the download was "cm-11-20131113-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip", so I assumed it was just a typo in the article, they also linked this as a source and the download was labeled correctly in there.

Im going to try what Lawrence suggested now, thank you for the Link though Golfdriver, If I can't get it to work at all I will try this service.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
first of all thanks for your responses!

About the thing being for the Note: I thought so too at first but the filename of the download was "cm-11-20131113-UNOFFICIAL-i9100.zip", so I assumed it was just a typo in the article, they also linked this as a source and the download was labeled correctly in there.

Im going to try what Lawrence suggested now, thank you for the Link though Golfdriver, If I can't get it to work at all I will try this service.

Best of luck! Let us know what happens.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

pl4cebo

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Yessss! It worked, awesome! :D

Thank you guys sooo much, I got it to work again using the guide Lawrence posted. No problems whatsoever!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yessss! It worked, awesome! :D

Thank you guys sooo much, I got it to work again using the guide Lawrence posted. No problems whatsoever!

Glad you are up and running again. If you have any questions or doubt's about ROMs, by all means, ask.
See you around the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Knoxy00

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
From there, you can try out OmniROM if you still feel like trying out 4.4 KitKat. The rom is maintained by several developers who used to used to maintain CyanogenMod for Exynos based devices (Team Hacksung).

This thread has been hands down the best information I have found all weekend on installing the 4.4 kitkat ROM on the i9100. I spent the entire day yesterday researching, installing, troubleshooting, flashing, re-installing and in the end I still had issues. I, like pl4cebo, installed the fake Cyanogen CM 11 ROM and was having major issues with mounting the SD card and also the battery percentage display.

This morning I found this thread and downloaded the ROM in this link and in less than half an hour had my Galaxy SII running kitkat smoothly.

Thanks for all your help.

marioaj

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Seems like I need these same instructions but for the T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 please!

I did a factory reseat settings after backing up my data, because my phone was too slow.. but never boot up again, it shows the Samsung Logo, then an animation of an android "rocketing" and then stucks and reboots, over and over.

I tried recovery, but keep getting the "Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure!" message, if I try to mount the SD Card it says "Error mounting /sdcard!", I can mount/unmount everything else, but the SDCard, so this steps seems to be what I need, but for my phone.

Appreciate your help!

Biboy Alis

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Re: Stuck in cwm recovery v6.0.5.0 in GALAXY YOUNG GT S5360

Ineed help pls pls !!!
PROBLEM:
I found a site that has cm 11 to description to install and after i scrool down i found step by step and the step 1 is to download the CWM TOTORO.zip and i download it because i thought it will update my cwm.zip v5.0.2.6 after downloading i install it via recovery then when i boot up it work i enter the cwm v6.0.5.0 but after that i cant mount sd card ,factory reset not working and when i shutdown my phone and turn it on again it keeps booting in the recovery mode

PLZ HELP.....I dont know what to do

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad