Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help Identifying SII Model

I have two gt-i9100's. The stickers in the battery bay both match the IMEI on the phone.

Phone A is having issues connecting to data and phone networks, so I checked the ROM on Phone B (which works great), downloaded it, and flashed Phone A to that ROM. It still doesn't work.

I was going to swap the motherboards (Phone A body is mint, Phone B has a few nicks), so I could sell the mint one fully working, and the nicked one as not working with software issues.

When I opened them up, I found that Phone A has a stacked sim/sd card reader, while phone B has two separate reader slots. Of course, the motherboards couldn't be swapped because of that.

Both stickers say i9100GSMH, and the IMEI's match the stickers.

So, are these different versions of the same phone? Is phone A (with stacked card reader/sim slot) some other variant, that requires a different ROM?

Also, in looking at Phone B's motherboard, I-9100 is clearly stamped on one of the heat shields in the working phone. The non-working Phone A doesn't even have the same heat shields on the motherboard.

So, what is Phone A (double stacked sim/sd, no stamps, won't connect to networks).

The ROM for both is stock XWLSW, with XXMS2 baseband.

In the pics below, Phone A (suspect) is on the left, and B is on the right. The close up is of Phone A.

Thanks much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Identifying SII Model-1.jpg   Help Identifying SII Model-2.jpg  

Global Posts
    20,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Help Identifying SII Model

The only thing I can think of is were they physically made at different times? Say one six months later? You are probably right that the different hardware is dictating the ROM/software.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks - every photo that I can find of motherboard for an SII looks like the one that works. I haven't seen any that look like the one that doesn't.

The non-working phone reads the sim, and reports the network. It seems to have bars, it just won't connect. The IMEI doesn't appear blacklisted, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks

Global Posts
    20,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Not sure what else to suggest. Sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Could you post a close up of Phone B?

Thanks.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Help Identifying SII Model-3.jpgHere's a closer view of Phone B. Sorry it's a little blurry.

EDIT: Found this post on XDA-Developers: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=10

Maybe Phone A is an I9100T? Maybe the incorrect modem/baseband is causing the connectivity issues?
    Last edited by Lawrence of a Labia; 01-13-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

That could be. It's worth a try - thanks much for trying to help out!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well, the stock ROM did not work with AT&T (which I have), and I could not figure it out, so I sold it for parts. The buyer informed me that it worked perfectly with TMobile.