Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did I brick my Galaxy S2 ?

Hi,

I'm a little nooby at all this, trying to learn better.

I started with a fully working, Galaxy S2, which I rooted ages ago. I did a factory reset on it, then the phone would not boot - it goot stuck at the Samsung Logo. (Probably due to the battery running out during the new user set up).

So I installed slimbean ROM 4.3 build 1 (put it on the SD card, installed by holding volume up+ power+ menu button).

After that, it still won't boot. This time, it got stuck on the SlimBean logo, instead a Samsung Logo.

So I installed Siyah-v3.3.2-CWM kernel. Now, after the first boot screen, it goes blank (no ROM boot screen).

Umm. Maybe I'm making more of a mess. But the most important thing is that I understand how this all works. Please don't send me to a guide, I've already read lots (they make a lot of assumtions about knowledge level, and are often really wordy which muddles things up in my mind.

I probably installed the wrong kernel for the version of slimrom I have.... hopefully I didn't brick the phone. (It still boots to the initial samsung logo, then shows the ICS Siyah Kernal screen, then it goes blank).

Help ! ?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-28-2014 at 01:07 AM.

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Did I brick my S2 ?

Welcome to Android Central
    Can you still boot into download or recovery mode?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I can. I thought I put that. Anyway, yeah.

Yeah, the Siyah kernel is really old and incompatible with JellyBean (4.3), so that's why it's doesn't boot all the way. It's not bricked. You just need to reflash.

Prior to that, did you do a factory reset after flashing SlimBean?

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by UK_Techhead View Post
    Yes I can. I thought I put that. Anyway, yeah.
    I don't see that anywhere
    Anyway, if you can still boot into download mode, just flash a stock ROM and you should be good. This doesn't look like a hard brick

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence of a Labia View Post
    Yeah, the Siyah kernel is really old and incompatible with JellyBean (4.3), so that's why it's doesn't boot all the way. It's not bricked. You just need to reflash.

Prior to that, did you do a factory reset after flashing SlimBean?
    I did a factory reset both before and after flashing SlimBean.

If the SlimBean ROM is good, then it's the kernel that's the problem. So I just need to flash a kernel that works with slimbean? Can someone give me a link?

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I did a factory reset both before and after flashing SlimBean.

If the SlimBean ROM is good, then it's the kernel that's the problem. So I just need to flash a kernel that works with slimbean? Can someone give me a link?
    Why do you want a different kernel? The stock SlimBean one is great. Battery life is exceptional from my experience

Global Posts
    20,767 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

The most updated kernel should be packed with the ROM. Where did you get the download? Have you gone directly to Slim's website?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

yes. slims website.

I have reinstalled slimbean. however, the phone seems still stuck at the Slimbean logo.

EDIT: I wiped the cached, reflashed. Fixed. Thank you android central. would not have done it without you!
    Last edited by UK_Techhead; 03-01-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

yes. slims website.

I have reinstalled slimbean. however, the phone seems still stuck at the Slimbean logo.

EDIT: I wiped the cached, reflashed. Fixed. Thank you android central. would not have done it without you!
    Yeah, before flashing any new ROM you should wipe data, cache and Dalvik cache.
    Glad you got it fixed

Global Posts
    20,767 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

yes. slims website.

Glad you got it working. See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here