Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 Randomly Broke, no service providers, cant text or call

ok, im wondering if anyone on here can please help me, my phone has been fine since i got it last year, and yesterday it was in my pocket and i could hear it turning off and on but thought nothing of it, then when i took it out of my pocket later it had factory reset to german which it has done before, i'm guessing I must have pressed a load of buttons while i was sitting down, anyway, i got my phone on and changed the language to English, but this time was different to last time, i had no signal, I can only get the WiFi to work, i cant text or call or receive texts or calls to my phone, and all this text displays in front of the screen no matter what im doing! its driving me crazy, i've factory reset it twice since yesterday and it didn't fix a thing, so my phone is basically useless at the minute, if anyone has a clue what i've done or how i can fix it, id appreciate any help, thanks

Galaxy S3 Randomly Broke, no service providers, cant text or call-screenshot_2014-03-10-12-57-28.png

Default Re: Galaxy S3 Randomly Broke, no service providers, cant text or call

In the 'About' section of the settings, can you see your IMEI?

Once I dropped my old S2 and WHAMMO! only WiFi worked. Turns out the fall fried the motherboard's radio chip for some reason and the phone lost all cell info, so no matter what I did in software, the hardware was suffering from amnesia and wouldn't give out an IMEI so you can't connect to the network.

Also check if you can still read the SIM card (maybe try to read a contact or copy one to it). If you can't, then something probably shorted out in the SIM reader.
    Thanked by:
    dean storey likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thanks a lot, and yeah i think my sim card works, i managed to download all my contacts from google and the little bars show up at the top of the screen as if im connected to a network but when i go into networks and search for providers it just searches forever, and i dont understand though i havn't dropped it, it was just sittle nicely in my pocket :P
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

yeah i see my EMEI it's grayed out, why do you ask??

is it just greyed out with the actual IMEI in there or just blank? When mine failed the IMEI showed nothing, no numbers, nothing... that's when they said it had turned into a nice iPod. But if you have 'bars' maybe you just need some network configuration from your carrier? Have you tried using a different SIM card?
    Thanked by:
    dean storey likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

o yeah all the numbers are in there and stuff, its just grayed, dunno if its supposed to be, i honestly dont know what could be wrong with it, normally a factory reset fixes all of my problem haha :P do you have any idea why that message is on my screen too thanks again for your support
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

and no i havnt tried a different sim card, mine is jammed in there somehow :P i'll have to wait until tomorrow so i can buy a pin and pull mine out, then i'll try my friends sim card, so that fact that the IMEI is filled in is some good news then?

It's better news haha don't know if 'good'... Probably your phone is stuck in some service mode or something? Have you tried going into 'safe mode'? I think it's activated (with the phone off) by pressing and holding Power + Home Button + Volume Down until it reboots... I can't remember if it's Volume Down for safe mode and Volume Up for 'recovery' or the other way around... just try both.
    Thanked by:

So, did you get it to work?