Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S2 display dying on me - what are the options?

*delurk*!

OK, so my 2 years+ old S2 is showing its age (and the number of times it's been dropped) - I have a problem that suddenly appeared today where the display won't come on, except intermittently, but it quickly flickers off again. I.e. the OS is still running, and touch sensitivity even seems to be fine, so I can actually do things "blind". Sometimes it stays on for longer periods, but basically it's obviously on the blink. The local phone repair guy has already told me it's going to be a new screen (he didn't even bother opening it up) and that's about a 100 quid in these parts, he reckons.

So what are my options - is there really no possibility it's some kind of loose connection that could be soldered (he reckoned not, but could be just lazy)?

If I went for a new screen, I assume they are all after-market and inferior to the original Samsung AMOLED? I could probably just buy and replace it myself, but how do you even know what you are getting with these aftermarket screens, as prices seem to vary between about 35 quid and 100 quid?

I REALLY wasn't planning on springing for a new phone (well, or a new screen for that matter) right now... Ta for any advice.

Default Re: S2 display dying on me - what are the options?

What going is the LED used to light up the display and it is embedded in the screen so yes the whole screen unit has to be replaced. A loose connection would just blow out the LED.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    What going is the LED used to light up the display and it is embedded in the screen so yes the whole screen unit has to be replaced. A loose connection would just blow out the LED.
    Ahhh... Rats. Thanks

Really doesn't seem worth it - what is your take on the screens that are out there on eBay etc? How the heck do you know what you're getting..?

I have never trusted ebay enough for parts just whole units. But with how old the S2 is an upgrade now would be real nice.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have never trusted ebay enough for parts just whole units. But with how old the S2 is an upgrade now would be real nice.
    Ha, of course it would be nice Just wasn't really planning it, as it was doing the job (i.e. not playing the latest 3D games!) just fine!

Anyway, having looked around, my conclusion is that original Samsung screens aren't even available, just aftermarket ones, so I am thinking it's not really worth it...