Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ihategoogle
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default s2 plus memory issues?

So the S2 plus has 8 gigs of internal memory, four of which are available to the user which is more than enough for what I need the phone for. The thing is, I'm now having this issue with the memory where I get the warning about there not being enough space etc... The menu shows there are 2.5gigs used up for apps and 156mb for misc. items and 560mb for pictures which is weird since I don't keep pics on the internal memory.

All my music and vids and pics are on the external card. On the internal card I have a few kb's worth of screenshots and four downloaded pics from the internet, I do have five or six ringtones and a few wallpaper pics on the internal memory accounting for no more than 5-10mb at most., so I'm wondering why it says there is 560mb of pictures on the internal card when I can't seem to find or figure out what these pics are.

Default Re: s2 plus memory issues?

Welcome to Android Central! They're probably due to thumbnails (which are probably stored in Internal Storage) and possibly images associated with apps.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I had suspected something like this, but 560mb worth of thumbs still seems high. Is there a way for me to clear them (cache or something else) just to see if it opens up the memory? At this point I'm more interested in getting to the bottom of it than saving space. THanks.

Use a 3rd party file manager app and go to /storage/sdcard0/DCIM/.thumbnails. You probably can't see that directory with the stock file manager since the period in front of thumbnails means it's hidden. Then you could delete those files, but a warning that it could potentially cause some glitches--the fact that it's a hidden directory suggests it shouldn't be messed with.

In my .thumbnails folder, the thumbnails themselves aren't very large, but there are a couple of database files that take up about 220 MB.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I tried checking the hidden files and it was indeed the thumbnails. A ton of them, showing deleted pictures as well as double or triple for certain pics which I've since deleted. I'll keep an eye on how long it takes to build up again. It's good to know where the memory was going, thanks for your input on this.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I use for memory problems the app: SD Maid - System Cleaning Tool

Ive tested a lot, but this one has found the bug which developers have when they develop apps and the log file is written somewhere where it cant removed without an extra application.

You can try it. Its a nice tool to clean up your system.