S2 mini can't pick up calls and other problems

Kathleen II

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I noticed my status bar was gone. I thought it was a software update, bit annoying, but otherwise harmless. Then a week ago it didn't want to open any maps/camera/... any more and just gave an "SD card not installed" error. This is true, I never had a micro-SD installed. And thinking this was again part of a now extremely annoying update, I went and got me a 16GB Sandisk micro-SD card. The phone never even recognised it and the same error message kept popping up. The SD card works btw, I tested it on another phone.

Then since yesterday, I'm unable to pick up calls. I can make them no problem and my phone does ring when I'm called. But it doesn't give me a single option to actually pick up the call. Screen stays black and any button I touch just ends the call.

I'm thinking this is more of a virus, as my father seems to have the same problems (all but the SD card one) on his LG. I've tried rebooting, taking out the battery for several minutes, a factory reset and a hard reset. No improvements however. Status bar is still gone, still can't pick up calls, SD card stays unrecognised. So, is there still hope or should I hold on till the sales and just get a new phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you did the full factory data reset, did it automatically start reinstalling apps? Try doing another reset, and this time, after finishing the Setup Wizard, go directly to My Apps in the Play Store, and stop any automatic installations that might have started. Now see if the problem persists.

You could also try Safe Mode, which prevents all 3rd party apps from starting up: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-11423

If the problems persist with these troubleshooting methods, then it's more likely that the hardware is simply failing. The S2 is a fairly old phone, so it might be nearing the end of its useful life.

Kathleen II

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I skipped the step that connects to your google play account after the hard reset so there aren't any apps on it any more. I'll try safe mode tonight and see if I can receive calls then. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll know what to ask for Christmas...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In colder weather, if you let th phone get really cold (like in an outside jacket pocket, or leaving it in the car for hours), then take it into a warm environment, especially if the humidity is above 40$ (which it usually isn't in a heated house in the winter), moisture will condense on the cold parts of the phone, mostly internally, since the case warms up pretty fast). That's the same as dropping the phone into water (except that it usually doesn't trigger the water damage patches). Unfortunately your phone is out of warranty, so you can't get it replaced for free, but even a brand new phone can suffer the same fate. Keep your phone as warm as you want to be in winter. Inside pocket, case with a short strap (to keep it under your arm), etc. It'll work down to about 0F, but bringing it into that warm mall that's humidified to prevent shock (and make it seem warmer so they can save on the heating bill) if it's at 0 degrees, will ruin it pretty quickly. (You don't want to see the insides of a phone that got "moisturized" a few weeks ago. Some of that stuff is alive, but it's not mold.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol