Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Importing this phone to the US

I'm aware that the Galaxy S2 international version has support for AT&T 3G. If I were to import it and stick an AT&T sim card in it, what would happen? Are there any security parameters I need to get past or codes I have to put in to unlock the sim?

I'm tired of these US carriers destroying the phones we get. In the UK you buy the phone first, then select the carrier. Here, the carriers pretty much choose which phones you can use. The Galaxy S2 is literally a piece of art, and the new Touchwiz looks VERY good. Knowing these US carriers, all of our versions will be fully loaded with permanent T-Mobile App Packs and Sprint Nascar apps. I don't want that crap on there, nor do I want a useless search button (seriously, who uses that thing?). I want the Galaxy S2 in its pure form. It will also probably be released 2 month after the international version so the carriers can squeeze their little apps on there and completely change the physical look of the phone.

Has anyone here imported the original Galaxy S i9000? What were your experiences? Also, I think the Infuse 4G and Samsung 4G LTE Smartphone (aka Stealth) are US Galaxy S2 variants even though they were announced as single-core phones.
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1

I would definitely consider this too, BUT, here's my question...How would having an international version affect being able to root here? Since the version would be different then other versions. I think there would be a different method needed.. That would be one drawback for me.

Why would you import? It will end up costing you alot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    In the UK you buy the phone first, then select the carrier. Here, the carriers pretty much choose which phones you can use.
    We actually have both options here, we can usually buy the phone sim-free and use on any carrier or buy directly from carrier on contract with some phones being exclusive to a carrier.

Although I'm not aware of the costs I can guess and agree with BitHeroes that it will probably cost too much to import for it to be worthwhile.

I had the same feelings on the Galaxy when I first purchased it and then got to know its shortcomings. However, patience and a little learning got me to running a custom rom from the sweet devs at xda based on the international version of the captivate, the i9000. I will say that without all the carrier crap on it it is one hell of a phone!
    Samsung Galaxy Captivate

>>>>Everything works<<<<

Froyo 2.2.1 via:
    OneClickRoot
    Cezars Continuum 2.2
    Hardcore Speedmod Kernel 2.6.32.9

Learn how here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=880151

Or use this tool:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post11178700

Does this support their new 4G network too if you were to import it?

ROM
    Paragon 5.1

I think that it will evebtually come to the US so we don't have to import; however Im not really worrying about the carrier implementations because im going to root it and install a custom ROM anyway as soon as I can.

Granted I don't want to have to do that, but I have a custom rom on my Captivate now and love it.

I want to import this phone as well.. I like the 3 buttons with the home clickable button better than the 4 with the search button.. I never use the search button so it is redundant for me.. But like andrew asked, will this be able to take advantage of at&t's "4g" speeds.. it says in the specs up to 21 mbps (which I know it won't get that good) but will it be able to use hspa+? thanks in advance

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I wouldn't import this device. I was going to but then I found out this whole T-Mobile garbage etc, and now I just wanna role with a CDMA carrier like Verizon, that was my plan originally. Plus the fact that the UK version doesn't have a freaking search button it kinda makes me wanna turn to another device. Although knowing Samsung, this device will hit the states 4 months later on the majority of the carriers and have different form factors. If you really want the device, go ahead and import it but I would wait to see what they do to improve the device when it hits the states.

Sent from my Xoom
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

My personal opinion is I would wait for it to come to your Country. I imported the Motorola Atrix 4G from AT&T to Canada and the voice quality sucks so bad it makes the phone unusable as a phone. I called Motorola and no warranty since I reside in Canada and its a AT&T version.

I think that maybe the same is if anything is wrong with the phone from the UK you wouldn't be able to take it back for a refund or repair work.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli28 View Post
    My personal opinion is I would wait for it to come to your Country. I imported the Motorola Atrix 4G from AT&T to Canada and the voice quality sucks so bad it makes the phone unusable as a phone. I called Motorola and no warranty since I reside in Canada and its a AT&T version.

I think that maybe the same is if anything is wrong with the phone from the UK you wouldn't be able to take it back for a refund or repair work.
    The probkem is that from the information available it's looking more and more like the US will not be getting this until july or August.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox99 View Post
    The probkem is that from the information available it's looking more and more like the US will not be getting this until july or August.
    I talked to a guy that manages two at&t stores and he said may for the S2. I wasn't in his store or anything so there wasn't much reason to lie...He even had the name that att is going to give it...but who knows. If the S2 comes in May to At&t I will definitely be sticking with them.
    BB curve, no data plan, at&t.