Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anything special mentioned about GS2 GPU anywhere?

All I can find about its GPU is that it is quad core and has 5 times the power of SGX540 from Galaxy S1. Is there anything else ever mentioned about this phone's GPU?

I would like to know this too especially what gpu they are using (is it a powerVR?). I don't think this is the new exynos chip.

It's called Mali.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1

ROM
    Evil Fascination 3.5
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the info. I was really hoping that GSII's processor and GPU will dominate the smartphone market for another year like Hummingbird did last year, but seems like Tegra2 beats it up this time by a small margin.

Wow that's very interesting. I don't know how the GS2 scored so bad in some of those tests. In terms of sheer power, Exynos/Mali definitely beats Tegra 2. Maybe the software was unfinished?
    Current Device: HTC Glacier (MT4G)
    Rooted, Overclocked to 1.8Ghz
    Running Gingerbread 2.3.1
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    Wow that's very interesting. I don't know how the GS2 scored so bad in some of those tests. In terms of sheer power, Exynos/Mali definitely beats Tegra 2. Maybe the software was unfinished?
    That is such a good news!! If you have some information read on this, please share! I am sure if they tweak their hardware drivers, they maybe able to get better performance out of them. But will Samsung have enough time to do it if they are planning on releasing the phone this month?

Also, why Samsung is referring to GSII processor as Samsung dual-core application processor instead of calling it Exynos?

ROM
    Just Rooted, stock Rom

The GSII tested better but not by much in that test 98 points. Also LG was running 2.2 against the 2.3... Looking at the EVO scores from 2.1 to 2.2 on the same phone the difference is 5,733 .so when LG gets 2.3 on there the scores will putt LG on top...

I just looked and mean on the first test... I didnt realize or think to scoll the page lol ... LG beats out SGII from what they're showing there on those test...

Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    That is such a good news!! If you have some information read on this, please share! I am sure if they tweak their hardware drivers, they maybe able to get better performance out of them. But will Samsung have enough time to do it if they are planning on releasing the phone this month?

Also, why Samsung is referring to GSII processor as Samsung dual-core application processor instead of calling it Exynos?
    It might because Samsung has purchased tons of Tegra 2 from Nvidia to be used on their phones. The Exynos is a new brand name for Samsung so they might use it to ship to those countries that they never ship to. Well, just my 2 cents though.

ROM
    Evil Fascination 3.5

It looks like there will be two versions of Galaxy S II, one with Exynos and one with Tegra 2.

from anandtech:

"The GT-I9100 is the normal Exynos based Galaxy S II, the I9103 is the Tegra 2 edition."
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by adjangs View Post
    It looks like there will be two versions of Galaxy S II, one with Exynos and one with Tegra 2.

from anandtech:

"The GT-I9100 is the normal Exynos based Galaxy S II, the I9103 is the Tegra 2 edition."
    hmmm.. Interesting. Wouldn't that make things harder for samsung on the software update release front!!

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    hmmm.. Interesting. Wouldn't that make things harder for samsung on the software update release front!!

My question is which one is coming to the US? I'd much prefer the Exynos.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Quote Originally Posted by adjangs View Post
    That is such an atrociously horrible test it's amazing. Nothing against Anand, the test is exactly what they said it was, but people are using it as a performance comparison. Do you really thing the Mali drivers etc are anywhere near done?

Quote Originally Posted by E_man View Post
    That is such an atrociously horrible test it's amazing. Nothing against Anand, the test is exactly what they said it was, but people are using it as a performance comparison. Do you really thing the Mali drivers etc are anywhere near done?
    Nothing new here. People will interpret stuff wrongly to suit their own selfish realities. I'm not talking about Anand. That guy is great. An actual respectable tech site. Even Gizmodo likes to put up trash like their shoddy Nokia N8 speed comparison vids to drive up traffic. Well, actually it is to be expected of a Gawker site.
    phone addict

Global Posts
    3,728 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

Look at go benchmarks and it would be funny to see what beat both of these the optimus 3d that memory may be the killer
    Loving this Oneplus one!!