Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default The all important question, will it get Ice Cream??

    Do you think the Galaxy s II will get ice cream? (The one that mixes gingerbread and honeycomb features)
  2. #2  

    Default

    Judging on previous upgrade history, no. I'm gonna be optimistic though and say I think Samsung has learned its lesson.
  3. #3  
    E_man's Avatar

    Posts
    493 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

    Default

    If it comes out in September, I think it will.

    Quote Originally Posted by egginator View Post
    Judging on previous upgrade history, no. I'm gonna be optimistic though and say I think Samsung has learned its lesson.
    What previous history? The Galaxy S1 launching with Eclair, and if your not in the US getting Froyo? We don't even know that the Galaxy S1 won't get gingerbread (I'd be surprised if we didn't) since not a single phone has gotten that upgrade.
  4. #4  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E_man View Post
    If it comes out in September, I think it will.



    What previous history? The Galaxy S1 launching with Eclair, and if your not in the US getting Froyo? We don't even know that the Galaxy S1 won't get gingerbread (I'd be surprised if we didn't) since not a single phone has gotten that upgrade.
    But we ARE in the US. The reality is that Samsung has only delivered an official Froyo update to one version of the GS1 on any of the major carriers. And IMHO that's only because they came out with a newer version. All conspiracy theories aside (because I don't care if it's Sammy's or the carriers fault) they haven't been updated.

    I would love to think that this phone will have a good update cycle because I'm honestly very interested in it. The processor is fast (any dual core is fast) and the screen is amazing. The one thing that keeps me away from Samsung is there track record with support AFTER the phone has been released.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    E_man's Avatar

    Posts
    493 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    But we ARE in the US.
    You ARE on Android Central
    You ARE an enthusiast
    You ARE running a custom rom

    Every single version of the Galaxy S has had full release quality builds of froyo out for some time (possibly barring the fascinate) that haven't released yet. Those builds are complete, with roms galore and easily flashed. So what's your point? Samsung has the releases done, I don't blame them. If you bought the phone, you'd flash them too.
  6. #6  

    Default

    The first froyo release for any android phone wasn't too far off from the release of the galaxy s phones. Ice cream is predicted to be in august-september. If the S2 gets released next month, optimistically, that would mean a good six months at least before even the Nexus S gets Ice Cream. I don't see an update that is even more far ahead, past six months, being on Samsung's radar or something they would consider worth their time.
  7. #7  
    Naris's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default

    If they follow their old MO I'd imagine that the international versions will receive the upgrade early 2012 and the US carriers will probably see it... oh maybe summer of 2013?
  8. #8  
    Ronindan's Avatar

    Posts
    364 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    Most likely it will get ice cream. Samsung might take their time but they will get it out. Beside the issue of the updates seem to be centered around the four major US carriers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint and VZW).
  9. #9  
    grayfox99's Avatar

    Posts
    180 Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    But we ARE in the US. The reality is that Samsung has only delivered an official Froyo update to one version of the GS1 on any of the major carriers. And IMHO that's only because they came out with a newer version. All conspiracy theories aside (because I don't care if it's Sammy's or the carriers fault) they haven't been updated.

    I would love to think that this phone will have a good update cycle because I'm honestly very interested in it. The processor is fast (any dual core is fast) and the screen is amazing. The one thing that keeps me away from Samsung is there track record with support AFTER the phone has been released.
    I'm not sure why you're being so hard on Sammy for it's update track record when considering it was mainly a carrier delay, and also when you're running a custom ROM, even if they updated in a more timely manner wouldnt you yourself just run a custom ROM? :-D
  10. #10  
    caliskimmer's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    ROM
    N/A

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egginator View Post
    Judging on previous upgrade history, no. I'm gonna be optimistic though and say I think Samsung has learned its lesson.
    We all thought that for the Galaxy S gen 1 phones too and the situation seems to be a mess. Although the US Galaxy S phones are supposed to get an update soon (excluding the Vibrant which already did), Samsung simply does not to appear to be as efficient as other companies with managing their phone models.

    I just don't trust Samsung that much anymore, especially since they took away some of the interesting features of the Galaxy S from the Epic. I have an EVO now, but hey, isn't there always a time to start over?
    Last edited by caliskimmer; 02-19-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarification
  11. #11  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E_man View Post
    You ARE on Android Central
    You ARE an enthusiast
    You ARE running a custom rom

    Every single version of the Galaxy S has had full release quality builds of froyo out for some time (possibly barring the fascinate) that haven't released yet. Those builds are complete, with roms galore and easily flashed. So what's your point? Samsung has the releases done, I don't blame them. If you bought the phone, you'd flash them too.
    Correct me if I'm wrong (because that has been known to happen) but Froyo ROMs didn't start showing up until a leaked version of the update came out, right? And the Fascinate has one of (if not THE) best Froyo leak to happen yet. It's stable and makes it seem like everything's ready to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by grayfox99 View Post
    I'm not sure why you're being so hard on Sammy for it's update track record when considering it was mainly a carrier delay, and also when you're running a custom ROM, even if they updated in a more timely manner wouldnt you yourself just run a custom ROM? :-D
    Because in order to get all of the features of the latest version of Android you need to have a stock version of the ROM to work with. Otherwise it's kinda just a cobbled together version that will have some big issues.


    I'm running Cyanogen 7 right now. I have an HTC made myTouch 4G. As long as I keep running Cyanogen I will have the latest version of Android soon after Google releases source. Heck the Nexus 1 still doesn't have an official version yet. So for me right now updates aren't important. That wouldn't be the case if Samsung makes the GSII the same way as the original. Cyanogen isn't officially porting to it yet for reasons beyond my understanding (something about the weird bootloader I think) which makes official updates EXTREMELY important for me. Yes, I will root and flash what I want to get what I want, but I need a phone that's capable of that in the first place.

    And to be fair I would be just as hard on any manufacturer (I'm looking straight at you Sony) for not updating phones that were promised an update. Actually in that particular case Sony is worse than Samsung. Motorola isn't terrible but HTC has by far the best track record with getting official updates out.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  12. #12  
    E_man's Avatar

    Posts
    493 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (because that has been known to happen) but Froyo ROMs didn't start showing up until a leaked version of the update came out, right? And the Fascinate has one of (if not THE) best Froyo leak to happen yet. It's stable and makes it seem like everything's ready to go.
    You are correct, they didn't start until a leaked version came out (October 1st for the captivate, earlier for the international). Shortly after that, it officially came out for the international version. The captivate, the vibrant, and the international have been rock solid for quite some time, with several leaks. I cannot say for sure about the other two, as I don't have them, and the roms aren't cross compatible like the other three. They may or may not be so solid.

    Because in order to get all of the features of the latest version of Android you need to have a stock version of the ROM to work with. Otherwise it's kinda just a cobbled together version that will have some big issues.


    I'm running Cyanogen 7 right now. I have an HTC made myTouch 4G. As long as I keep running Cyanogen I will have the latest version of Android soon after Google releases source. Heck the Nexus 1 still doesn't have an official version yet. So for me right now updates aren't important. That wouldn't be the case if Samsung makes the GSII the same way as the original. Cyanogen isn't officially porting to it yet for reasons beyond my understanding (something about the weird bootloader I think) which makes official updates EXTREMELY important for me. Yes, I will root and flash what I want to get what I want, but I need a phone that's capable of that in the first place.

    And to be fair I would be just as hard on any manufacturer (I'm looking straight at you Sony) for not updating phones that were promised an update. Actually in that particular case Sony is worse than Samsung. Motorola isn't terrible but HTC has by far the best track record with getting official updates out.
    CM still isn't a daily driver for the SGS, but that's not saying that the other roms are "cobbled together" with "big issues". Until 2 months ago, I was running a non-CM rom with the latest OS and features.
  13. #13  
    thebizz's Avatar
    phone addict

    Posts
    3,578 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,730 Global Posts
    ROM
    mean

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    I'm running Cyanogen 7 right now. I have an HTC made myTouch 4G. As long as I keep running Cyanogen I will have the latest version of Android soon after Google releases source. Heck the Nexus 1 still doesn't have an official version yet. So for me right now updates aren't important. That wouldn't be the case if Samsung makes the GSII the same way as the original. Cyanogen isn't officially porting to it yet for reasons beyond my understanding (something about the weird bootloader I think) which makes official updates EXTREMELY important for me. Yes, I will root and flash what I want to get what I want, but I need a phone that's capable of that in the first place.
    More like due to rfs breaking the build for to many phones while I like the sgs line samsung did mess up with rfs and the other mods they made to android. Their not supporting the Motorola line other than the d1 due to the encrypted bootloader
    Loving this Oneplus one!!
  14. #14  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,950 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,153 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E_man View Post
    You are correct, they didn't start until a leaked version came out (October 1st for the captivate, earlier for the international). Shortly after that, it officially came out for the international version. The captivate, the vibrant, and the international have been rock solid for quite some time, with several leaks. I cannot say for sure about the other two, as I don't have them, and the roms aren't cross compatible like the other three. They may or may not be so solid.



    CM still isn't a daily driver for the SGS, but that's not saying that the other roms are "cobbled together" with "big issues". Until 2 months ago, I was running a non-CM rom with the latest OS and features.
    Cobbled together was a poor choice of words. But from what I hear without an "official" leak (if that makes any sense LOL) it's extremely difficult to develop for it. Maybe I should've said "patched together" instead. I've had enough conversations with enough dev's to know that sometimes it's all trial and error and sometimes things don't work the way they are supposed to because of something the manufacturer did.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  15. #15  
    E_man's Avatar

    Posts
    493 Posts
    ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Cobbled together was a poor choice of words. But from what I hear without an "official" leak (if that makes any sense LOL) it's extremely difficult to develop for it. Maybe I should've said "patched together" instead. I've had enough conversations with enough dev's to know that sometimes it's all trial and error and sometimes things don't work the way they are supposed to because of something the manufacturer did.
    It doesn't seem to be difficult to develop for froyo. The issues that are being had now are getting AOSP to work. That's a lot of trial and error. The official froyo builds (which are out to anyone with the know how to type in xda-developers.com/forum) are out. No trial and error for that, I remember flashing it the day it was leaked. The trial and error comes with things like AOSP with we don't have available.
  16. #16  

    Default

    We are victims of our own succes. So many updates so fast yet we are only concerned for the one they just anounced even if it is still in the works. The fact is the galaxy S 1 is a great piece of hardware that helped push the envelope on the market and helped bring foward a bunch of new phones and pessure on the manufacturers to make advances in order to keep up with the new hardware demands. That competition brings us the Galaxy S 2 wich is a great improvement over the first whithout triying to compare it whith any other company. It will be my next phone regardles of how far in the future android operating sistem goes or how many new phones they show because there is always next year.
  17. #17  

    Default

    With the international S2 having all of at&t's bands, I would think it would be a little easier getting an update. Hopefully at&t's won't be much different from the international version. Unless we fall under a region that gets a different processor.
  18. #18  
    ls377's Avatar

    Posts
    1,594 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong (because that has been known to happen) but Froyo ROMs didn't start showing up until a leaked version of the update came out, right? And the Fascinate has one of (if not THE) best Froyo leak to happen yet. It's stable and makes it seem like everything's ready to go.



    Because in order to get all of the features of the latest version of Android you need to have a stock version of the ROM to work with. Otherwise it's kinda just a cobbled together version that will have some big issues.


    I'm running Cyanogen 7 right now. I have an HTC made myTouch 4G. As long as I keep running Cyanogen I will have the latest version of Android soon after Google releases source. Heck the Nexus 1 still doesn't have an official version yet. So for me right now updates aren't important. That wouldn't be the case if Samsung makes the GSII the same way as the original. Cyanogen isn't officially porting to it yet for reasons beyond my understanding (something about the weird bootloader I think) which makes official updates EXTREMELY important for me. Yes, I will root and flash what I want to get what I want, but I need a phone that's capable of that in the first place.

    And to be fair I would be just as hard on any manufacturer (I'm looking straight at you Sony) for not updating phones that were promised an update. Actually in that particular case Sony is worse than Samsung. Motorola isn't terrible but HTC has by far the best track record with getting official updates out.
    I think the problem with CM7 is that they are working with a manufacturer they haven't dealt with before. The issues seem to be with hardware stuff (camera, internal SD mounting). They have a pretty usable version out for the I9000, but none of the US versions have a reorient kernel ready yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger4j View Post
    With the international S2 having all of at&t's bands, I would think it would be a little easier getting an update. Hopefully at&t's won't be much different from the international version. Unless we fall under a region that gets a different processor.
    If I get this, I'm getting the international version. Keep AT&T's hands as far away as possible.
  19. #19  

    Default

    will it get android Oreo
    doesn't even matter now
    We don't even know what it is
    Nothing but nexus even has gingerbread
  20. #20  

    Default

    And my captivate haas been on workingfroyo since october
    Took me all of 5 minutes
  21. #21  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    897 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I really can't wait til this hits T-Mobe, very beautiful device... I think this device will get Ice Cream... after all it does have a front facing camera and assuming Google is smart... part of Ice cream could be Google Video Chat... and dual core support... by the way this isn't Samsung's fault, it was never Samsung's fault, these devices never got Frigid because the carriers got lazy, the Galaxy S in the UK got Froyo after about two months of release. Samsung gave the carriers the finished product, they just needed to add their bloat updates etc. Which I don't understand what took them so long.

    Sent from my Nexus S
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Posting Permissions