1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is The Galaxy S 2 The World’s Most Powerful Smartphone?

Moderator edit:

Don't not copy paste from other sites. Have the decency to just supply a link so that the original author gets attrition as they are due.

I will do it for ya this time

Last edited by Preach2k; 04-18-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Samsung itself revealed some details, and one of them is that Galaxy S2 will have “Retina” screen – it’s the second “Retina” after iPhone 4.According to Samsung, Galaxy S2 will have Super AMOLED Plus display, which is even brighter than Super AMOLED screen and it also has a regular RGB matrix instead of “Pentile” matrix, which was used in Galaxy S. Also S2 is going to have screen resolution with over 300 ppi (pixels per inch) and that means it can be called as “Retina” – when human’s eye is unable to see separate pixels. I really like this phone so much I think next coming year will launch some super computer pocket PC.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

This is the handset I really have my eyes on. I said it in another thread that the only other device that can stand toe to toe with it this year is the LG Optimus 3D.

These 2 handsets (LG and Samsung) are the powerhouses of 2011. You want specs, these are the phones to get.

I would say that when you make what is scheduled to be the most powerful phone of the year, as well as all of the components inside of it save the baseband chips, it had better have flawless firmware. If it does, I don't anything anything will be able to touch it until next year. I REALLY hope Samsung has corrected the software issues that initially plagued the first Galaxy S, and I also really want to see an LTE version to market sometime this summer. Considering its first international release was much earlier this year, I don't think its unreasonable to hope for a VZW LTE version well before September.

Global Posts
    10,396 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

That's a hot phone for sure. On my short list. Worlds most powerful? Certainly some aspects seem to fit that bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra18 View Post
    ... Also S2 is going to have screen resolution with over 300 ppi (pixels per inch) and that means it can be called as “Retina” – when human’s eye is unable to see separate pixels. ...
    This is false. The DPI is nowhere near 300. In fact, the DPI is even lower than on the Galaxy S1. Same 480x 800 resolution, but now on a bigger screen. The S2 screen will still look better in just about every way than the S1 (mostly due to increased sub-pixels), but its pixel density is actually around 218 DPI or so ...

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiserdude View Post
    I would say that when you make what is scheduled to be the most powerful phone of the year, as well as all of the components inside of it save the baseband chips, it had better have flawless firmware. If it does, I don't anything anything will be able to touch it until next year. I REALLY hope Samsung has corrected the software issues that initially plagued the first Galaxy S, and I also really want to see an LTE version to market sometime this summer. Considering its first international release was much earlier this year, I don't think its unreasonable to hope for a VZW LTE version well before September.
    Except were talking about American Telecom. Carriers here control the market very tightly. If Verizon is being cautious with its schedule of phone releases, they could put off the release of the sgs2 if they don't want it to interfere with the release of another phone, one that may be given special treatment due to contractual terms (e.g. Droid moniker phones).

I'm on the verge of getting the Thunderbolt but am worried that a dual core LTE will be out soon.

Sent with my thumbs.

ROM
    Rooted AOSP JB on all

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra18 View Post
    Samsung itself revealed some details, and one of them is that Galaxy S2 will have “Retina” screen – it’s the second “Retina” after iPhone 4.According to Samsung, Galaxy S2 will have Super AMOLED Plus display, which is even brighter than Super AMOLED screen and it also has a regular RGB matrix instead of “Pentile” matrix, which was used in Galaxy S. Also S2 is going to have screen resolution with over 300 ppi (pixels per inch) and that means it can be called as “Retina” – when human’s eye is unable to see separate pixels. I really like this phone so much I think next coming year will launch some super computer pocket PC.
    That would be incorrect. It has 217ppi. To have 300ppi on a 4" screen, you need somewhere between 1024x600 (276ppi) and 1280x720 (341ppi). I'm not sure there is a real screen resolution in that range, though they can always make one up.

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    but its pixel density is actually around 218 DPI or so ...
    I am disappointed that they didn't change the resolution but still 480x800 on a 4.3 inch screen with 218 DPI is still pretty damn good

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

I was leaning towards the HTC Sensation (because I love the look of Sense 3.0), but when I saw the video of the SGS II, that blew me away. If Verizon does not get the SGS II my second choice is T-mo because of T-mo's new unlimited plan.
    HTC One
    Google Nexus 4
    Google Nexus 7

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

Quote Originally Posted by sheba611 View Post
    I was leaning towards the HTC Sensation (because I love the look of Sense 3.0), but when I saw the video of the SGS II, that blew me away. If Verizon does not get the SGS II my second choice is T-mo because of T-mo's new unlimited plan.
    I'm glad I'm on sprint so I get the best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Officerpolabear View Post
    I'm glad I'm on sprint so I get the best of both worlds
    Is Sprint getting the Galaxy 2?

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

Quote Originally Posted by iastonish View Post
    Is Sprint getting the Galaxy 2?
    Well it's just speculation. Why would Samsung ditch making the samsung galaxy s2 if it was so successful when they did it with the first one?

Acording to Engadget:

See the Phone Comparison chart thread.
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - KeyboardsFolders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓
    Panda Motherfrinkin King

Global Posts
    371 Global Posts
    ROM
    PandaRom 12.5% Faster!!

I have a unit (on att) and I have to say that this device is seriously fast. having just sent back the G2X to LG I think I have a good comparison and the SGSII just feels a tad bit faster. As far as gaming its about the same with the Sammy seeming a lil more powerful running games with stuff going on in the background.

Screen is AMAZING! I have a charge so Im used to the samoled+ but it bears noting.. Att's network is what it is.....

I will be sending it back soon but I may keep it a lil while longer as its a damn fine device...
    Sent from my unreleased thingamagig using Tapatalk

follow me at www.twitter.com/black_man_x

Will def keep an eye on this phone. The specs and the assesment blackmannx has made make this phone the one to beat.
    Just hope if / when this comes to vz, it will be lte.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmannx View Post
    I have a unit (on att) and I have to say that this device is seriously fast. having just sent back the G2X to LG I think I have a good comparison and the SGSII just feels a tad bit faster. As far as gaming its about the same with the Sammy seeming a lil more powerful running games with stuff going on in the background.

Screen is AMAZING! I have a charge so Im used to the samoled+ but it bears noting.. Att's network is what it is.....

I will be sending it back soon but I may keep it a lil while longer as its a damn fine device...
    Cool to hear your opinion. I just bought a White 32gb Iphone on contract to sell, then use the money for the S2. I'm very ansy to get it in the U.S. Maybe you could just send me yours blackmannx?
    BB curve, no data plan, at&t.

hypothetically, (and perhaps a dumb question but I'm still getting my feet wet in this whole thing) would it be possible to purchase an unlocked GS2 online (from where ever, most likely somewhere in Europe) and take it to t-mobile to buy a sim and a plan? Or would it just make more sense to wait it out and see if/when the GS2 itself comes to t-mobile and just purchasing it then? Take into consideration that I had planned originally buying the charge full retail.. would an unlocked GS2 be a comparable purchase $$ wise? The delays on the Charge and the $$ committed to it on retail cost has made me look back at the Galaxy2 possibilities .. that and a cheaper plan

Quote Originally Posted by ragdoll08 View Post
    hypothetically, (and perhaps a dumb question but I'm still getting my feet wet in this whole thing) would it be possible to purchase an unlocked GS2 online (from where ever, most likely somewhere in Europe) and take it to t-mobile to buy a sim and a plan? Or would it just make more sense to wait it out and see if/when the GS2 itself comes to t-mobile and just purchasing it then? Take into consideration that I had planned originally buying the charge full retail.. would an unlocked GS2 be a comparable purchase $$ wise? The delays on the Charge and the $$ committed to it on retail cost has made me look back at the Galaxy2 possibilities .. that and a cheaper plan

The current Galaxy S2 only works with At&t. Many have ported it over form Europe and are using it on Att, but unfortunately the bands that the S2 is compatible with doesn't cover T-mobile yet
    BB curve, no data plan, at&t.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmannx View Post

Why are you send it back?

I just ordered the Galaxy S2 and it will be here next Tuesday and will be running it on the AT&T network in Jacksonville, FL

Global Posts
    4,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I think he has an eval unit, at least that would be my guess.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

In some areas, in others....not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by aDroidtoRemember View Post
    The current Galaxy S2 only works with At&t. Many have ported it over form Europe and are using it on Att, but unfortunately the bands that the S2 is compatible with doesn't cover T-mobile yet
    It will work on T-Mobile. Just not on 3G or 4G. Only edge.
    Ecstatic Samsung Galaxy S II Owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Preach2k View Post
    Moderator edit:

Don't not copy paste from other sites. Have the decency to just supply a link so that the original author gets attrition as they are due.

I will do it for ya this time

Attribution?

Damn that autocorrect!