Fix for AT&T User's Slow Data Speed's! (Correct APN settings)

locust43#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
This is a Fix it guide I wrote for AT&T user's. These are the correct settings for your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II

I hope this helps everyone who has been possibly experiencing slower speed's on AT&T Mobility.

1'st, make sure you are on the CORRECT data plan.

1. HSPA+ 4G 2GB plan OR for Unlimited Customer's

2. Smartphone Personal Data plan with 4G SOC code : HSDPPB

Then under your APN settings, I have found personally that WAP.CINGULAR is not the right APN. When your tethering you can tell what the correct gateway you should be connected to by visiting speedtest.net tethered to a PC and seeing when you run the test by your IP, it should show SERVICE PROVIDER and NOT AT&T GLOBAL NETWORK SERVICES.

Wap.Cingular connects you to the older gateway made for 7.2 phone's. I found in real world AT&T testing it caps/throttles you at around 7.5Mbit/s or slower.

FIX:

Under you Access Point Settings create a new APN.

Menu Key, New APN.

Name : AT&T HSPA+

Important step: tap APN and enter exactly : phone

That's it! It's literally just "phone", not kidding. Leave everything else blank including Username and Password!

Scroll down to APN Type, Select Internet only

Hit the Menu Key, and hit SAVE
Your will return to APN settings, go to the APN you just created called AT&T HSPA+, tap the dot next to the APN and make sure it turns green!

Now for the MMS settings

Step 2 : MMS Settings

At the APN settings hit the menu key again and create a new APN, call it MMS

Under APN again just type : phone

go down to MMSC and fill the fields as follows

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410

APN type: MMS only

Now again hit the menu key and save. This will be your default MMS setting and you will not need to select it.

Once your back at the APN menu with the fields you just created, make sure AT&T HSPA+ still has a green got by it.

Now hit the home key, then turn your phone off and back on.

You should have full internet access if you have the correct data plan. While you may not experience faster data speed's in every area. This APN will allow you to have more consistent and through speed's, especially in an AT&T "4G" HSPA+ enhanced backhaul area.

Here show's the difference in the two APN's. The first SpeedTest is the Wap.cingular, the second is the one we just created.

Old APN:

1326034736.png

New APN: Better ping and better speed, Notice Service Provider vs. AT&T Gobal

1326030327.png

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me in the forum or PM me.

I really hope this help all of you Galaxy S 2 users on AT&T!!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Since this has worked for at least one person, I'll make it a sticky. Hopefully it will work for others as well.

locust43#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Tried these changes and approximately the same as before (multiple tests). Interesting concept, but see no real change.
It really depends on your market. What are your speed's now? If they are really low you likely wont see a change until they have enabled "enhanced backhaul" in your area.

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on your market. What are your speed's now? If they are really low you likely wont see a change until they have enabled "enhanced backhaul" in your area.

2760/1500 to 3059/1550 with pings 122-150 both before and after the change to your suggested settings. I am in NJ and the speeds are constant with either APN.

This is with the Android app speedtest (OOkla).

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Darn. My Smartphone unlimited plan doesn't seem to work with those APN settings. Oh well will just have to deal with the 3-5mbps peak download and the frequent 100-200kbps speeds that plague Chicago.

geekaren

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
APN settings from my Infuse

I copied these APN settings from my Infuse, posting here in case they're helping to folks having problems.

Note: These settings are copied *exactly*... same capitalization (or not), etc.

1st APN (all fields not listed should be left at default setting)
Name: ATT PHONE
APN: Phone
APN Type: internet

2nd APN (all fields not listed should be left at default setting)
Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular (note: does not include .com)
PROXY: wireless.cingular.com
PORT: 80
MMS PORT: 80
APN TYPE: mms,supl
(I realize our SGS2s only have internet or mms available to select for APN type, so I selected mms -- I'm able to send mms successfully)

Zaatour36

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
hey thanks for sharing, i really do appreciate that :)

i changed my iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S ii, so do I need to call AT&T and change the plan ? cuz I have the unlimited, and i did called to register the IME # but it couldn't be accepted my Galaxy S II IME in the system!! (couldn't find it or register it) :mad:

the reason why i did this, it because of the terrible speed i get ( around 500kb ) even though i have H+, H (a lot), and 3G all the time, rarely Edge. :(

I did the setting you mention, shutdown my phone and started it again, but:'( still bad download speed!

btw, do i call AT&T again and tell them i want "2. Smartphone Personal Data plan with 4G SOC code : HSDPPB" ?? cuz i did mentioned i wanted the Infuse 4G plan, but they couldn't do it for some reason!

any solution ???

Please help me
:'( :'( :'(

Zaatour36

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I copied these APN settings from my Infuse, posting here in case they're helping to folks having problems.

Note: These settings are copied *exactly*... same capitalization (or not), etc.

1st APN (all fields not listed should be left at default setting)
Name: ATT PHONE
APN: Phone
APN Type: internet

2nd APN (all fields not listed should be left at default setting)
Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular (note: does not include .com)
PROXY: wireless.cingular.com
PORT: 80
MMS PORT: 80
APN TYPE: mms,supl
(I realize our SGS2s only have internet or mms available to select for APN type, so I selected mms -- I'm able to send mms successfully)
@geekaren

thanks for the help

after I add the configuration from the ur Infuse, PING dropped from ~190-250 to 89-110 !!

and now after about 5 test on Speedtest.net on , GS2 i got some improvement from 500kb to 1.7MB BUT it still sucks as a 3G phone and worst as H+ :'(

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm supposed to get my GSII tomorrow and plan to add these same settings (the infuse 4G) b/c I saw that many other GSII users were having problems with the APN settings the OP posted.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I just finished putting the infuse 4G wap. Cingular settings and it seems to work knew and Internet.

Sent from my GT-I9100

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I need help, I just put the APN settings the OP posted, and now I'm getting very slow speeds.

Sent from my GT-I9100

robsw

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
SO, if I'm on an old AT&T unlimited plan, will these new settings work or do I need them to change the plan to a "4G" plan? Also, I assume I have to delete the "Cingular 410/wap.cingular" APN. If I do and need to go back b/c these don't work for me, how do I do so, not knowing the password to re-enter? Thanks in advance?