Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Otterbox Defender Case for the SIII (Video)

So here you have it guys! My first look at the Samsung Galaxy S3 Defender case by Otterbox!

Let me first start off by saying that I don't do a lot of youtube videos. So please take it as you will! I am by no means a pro at video editing but I thought I would share my first look with the Otterbox case with you all!

Enjoy...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxGtQePNjE&feature=plcp[/YT]
    My Video...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHNkgN8YND4[/YT]
    Drop Test (Not mine but enjoy it anyways!)

Build - The build quality is just amazing! It feels rock solid in the hand and even better if you have big hands.

Screen Protector - I love it. It doesn't hold you back like I thought. Over all its a great addon!

Access to the ports and buttons - Very good for the most part. The home button can be tricky to use at times but I got used to it so now I am no longer annoyed with this.

Thickness - Yes its bulky and thick! The way that I like it! (Not to be dirty here or anything.) Its a great trade off as it will protect your device from drops.

Dust flaps - They do as they should. Cover us the holes in the case where your USB port is and your headphone jack.

The bad?

Menu and back button - It sits a little low on the case. I did however get used to it. JUst give it sometime. In no time you will get used to it.

Up keep - As I said before you may wanna clean this one time a week or so.

Anyways if you have any questions or anything guys please feel free to ask! I will answer them here or simply inbox.

Cheers!
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Otterbox Defender Case for the SIII (Video)

Thanks for the review! I just ordered mine from SmartphonePedia, hopefully it gets here before the end of the week (how did they end up getting them before anyone else?)
    Thanked by:
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,462 Global Posts

Nicely done. I ordered mine from the same person on Amazon. It should be here between 20-25th July...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,114 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Thanks. Glad you like it. Looks pretty tough
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

I don't see any video links
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
    Direct link:

Global Posts
    2,114 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Quote Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
    are you on an iPad? I realized a while back you can't see video links on there. At least not all the time

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts

Yep on iPad thanks for the vid I will use the direct link.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    15,462 Global Posts

I just watched it from my iPad. Just click on the image...

Awesome review..you did great...I am hoping mine shows up by Friday.
    Thanked by:

Nice write up/video's. I'm gonna get the camo one when available just to be different.

Nice vids.... I'm tempted to get one but idk if I want to pay $50...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Thanks for all the feed back guys!

On Amazon, you can get one for less. The protection is so worth it. Please see the Drop Test video above.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3 Handheld Device

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Hello guys,

Its my first post. I just ordered a Galaxy S3 and also need a case. Does this case make too big or what? Do you guys have any other suggestions, perhaps less bulky (and therefore less protective of course)?

Thanks!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Yes this case makes the phone more bulky. BUT I think its a fair trade off for the protection and I can grip the phone a lot better too! I have pretty big hands too.

If this one happens to be to big I'd look into this case.

Amazon.com: Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

It offers protection and it still covers the whole phone. No screen protector though. If the Otterbox defender case didn't work out I would have personally gone with this as well.

Good thing about cases are there are 142341564564564 of them! There is one for everyone! Keep on looking. The accessories forums have some nice reviews as well. Oli I think is his name has a ton of good videos on youtube for cases for the S3.

If you need anymore help just reply and let us know! Sure others will have other options too.

Cheers...

CJ

Hate to sound like a broken record....the GS3 is a large phone to begin with. The Defender will add bulk, some of it real and some perceived. It will still fit in a back pocket. When your phone is doing cartwheels down concrete steps, the tradeoff between protection and appearance is well worth it.

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Yes this case makes the phone more bulky. BUT I think its a fair trade off for the protection and I can grip the phone a lot better too! I have pretty big hands too.

If this one happens to be to big I'd look into this case.

Amazon.com: Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

It offers protection and it still covers the whole phone. No screen protector though. If the Otterbox defender case didn't work out I would have personally gone with this as well.

Good thing about cases are there are 142341564564564 of them! There is one for everyone! Keep on looking. The accessories forums have some nice reviews as well. Oli I think is his name has a ton of good videos on youtube for cases for the S3.

If you need anymore help just reply and let us know! Sure others will have other options too.

Cheers...

CJ
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Just one more question: is the part with the holdster to attech to your belt optional or do you have to use it? From the images it looks like that part is the real bulky part...I wont be using my belt with it, I would look like some old tourist.
    What other accessories do you recommend, like extra battery, etc?

cheers.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by badelhas View Post
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    Just one more question: is the part with the holdster to attech to your belt optional or do you have to use it? From the images it looks like that part is the real bulky part...I wont be using my belt with it, I would look like some old tourist.
    What other accessories do you recommend, like extra battery, etc?

cheers.
    The clip case pops on and off. It can also work without a belt as well if you don't use one.

As far as charging and batteries go....Take a look at this...

Amazon.com: Samsung EDD-D200BEGSTA Galaxy S3 Multimedia Dock - Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Keep in mind this case will not work with this cradle because of the bulk. I only use it at home when I remove the case. That cradle comes with another battery and it can charge both at the same time!

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Youve been very helpfull, thanks again.
    From the photos I would never tell it brings an extra battery and that we can charge both at the same time. Its not even expensive, the Otterbox case costs way more. I think I will also buy this...
    I am thinking about watching some movies with subtitles (with this phone it s possible do read MKV or AVI Divx with subtitles without converting the file, correct?) but for that I will need and SD card (each 720p movie file takes at least 3Gb). I was thinking about a 32Gb one, this way I can set the photos directly to it also.
    Can I buy the cheapest, class 4 or is there any downside to it? The class 6, 8 and 10 are rather expensive in comparison...

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 jelly bean

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    The clip case pops on and off. It can also work without a belt as well if you don't use one.

As far as charging and batteries go....Take a look at this...

Amazon.com: Samsung EDD-D200BEGSTA Galaxy S3 Multimedia Dock - Desktop Charger - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Keep in mind this case will not work with this cradle because of the bulk. I only use it at home when I remove the case. That cradle comes with another battery and it can charge both at the same time!
    A user review says that "it does not come with a spare battery nor a compartment for one but it does have a battery of its own." Does it mean it dosent have a spare battery like you said?
    Regarding SD cards, can I buy a cheaper and slower class 6 or are there downsides to it? I want to watch movies with subtitles (is it possible without converting the MKV or Avi Divx?) and set the photos directly to it.

I cant seem to find the Otterbox Defender case in my country. Are there any other good alteratives?
    Thanks once more for you help!

Cheers

For the current owners, would this case be OK for keeping sand out of my S3? I'm going on vacation the week after next and need something to protect my phone while sitting on the beach. Thanks!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by LMychajluk View Post
    For the current owners, would this case be OK for keeping sand out of my S3? I'm going on vacation the week after next and need something to protect my phone while sitting on the beach. Thanks!
    Yes and no! Its not dust prof. So sand could get inside. As a rule of thumb when I go to the beach I leave my phone at home...Plus lets be real! We are at the beach to relax right!?