Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    ROM
    None yet

Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

I have had this case for a few months and the rubber casing is very loose. In fact, it doesn't even clip at the bottom. I haven't beaten down my phone or anything either. I will be looking for something else and I don't think it will be an Otterbox.

Otterbox Defender is king.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    Before I order a Seidio Active probably the extended battery version which does not face out in the holster does anyone have any suggestions for a case with a reasonable amount of protection that has a beltclip that will allow the phone to face outward?
    Sorry if I missed it if you gave your reason for wanting the phone to face outward, but unless that's an absolute dealbreaker, I highly recommend the Seidio Active. It's generally better/safer to have your phone facing inward anyway...now I'm curious why you want it facing out.

Reason for outward screen placement in belt clip is so I can see who is calling before answering without having to remove the phone from the belt clip. I use my S3 for business and need to know if the call needs to be immediately answered or can wait when I am meeting with a client because answering the phone or even having to remove it from my belt clip to see who's calling is an unnecessary distraction under those circumstances. Also, when I'm running errands or grocery shopping there are multiple calls to the house and I can make those calls from the home screen shortcut (I use a Bluetooth earpiece) again without having to remove the phone from my belt clip. It's much more convenient for me to have the screen facing outward.

I ended up getting a BodyGlove ToughSuit which after 35 hours of research was the only case that offered reasonable protection (actually more than reasonable, it's military spec) that allowed screen outward belt clip placement. I just got it several days ago and after I've used it for awhile I'll post a review. At this point I like it a lot and highly recommend it. It is a relatively new (last couple of months) model and that's why it was so difficult to find. Another poster on the xda forums made me aware of it. It also allows the phone to stand up in landscape mode on my desk when the belt clip is on, a feature BodyGlove really doesn't promote.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Good Customer Service, but Thumbs down on OtterBox Defender case, imo.

Was very displeased with my last OtterBox Defender case, on my iPhone. Notwithstanding how it adequately protected the iPhone from over 20 drops onto concrete & pavement , all the drops were due to the OB Defender belt clip failing to hold the OB Defender case! The slightest brush or bump would send the case to the ground! The OtterBox Co. sent me a brand new $50. case w/ belt clip, which of course was very nice customer service, but I never used it, as I didn't want to trust it anymore.
    Moreover, the Otterbox Defender case actually damaged the iPhones' paint finish on the iPhones' back by causing two deep scratches (from the Defenders hard plastic case interior), plus several (10~12) deep and unsightly little pit-marks. Possibly all due to the OB Defender case bouncing across the pavement over 20 times, but nevertheless, the damage to the iPhones exterior finish resulted in a devaluing of the iPhones resale value.

I have had the same Defender case for my GS3 since it first became available. Not crazy about the holster and it's workmanship. However, no issues with damage to my GS3. I have yet to put the case to the test but I am certain that the case will live up to its reputation. No issues with the silicone lining but if you remove it frequently, it will stretch just by the sheer nature of the materials. OB will stand behind it and send a complete replacement free in a vast majority of cases.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

My only complaint has been with the silicon casing stretching.

The first time I had to have it replaced, I kind of understood as I took it off a few times to clean dust out from under the screen protector (which I love having a built-in screen protector personally).

The second one seems to have lasted a bit longer. Have not taken it off the phone since putting it on, but again, it started stretching out. Not only are they sending me another replacement Defender, they are sending me one of the new Reflex series cases to try out.

I really wish a company would put out a simple, minimalistic, snapshell case with holster and built-in screen protector.

I'm new to the Android scene with a Galaxy S3 and the first thing I found was that it was way to thin & slippery so we decided to buy Otterbox Defender Series cases.

I like the design of this case when I first got it with the exception of the screen protector, it introduced distortion due to finger smudges on outside (I had thoroughly cleaned the S3 screen & inside before assembling). The distortion bothered me so much that I decided to remove the screen protector which is easy to do if you very carefully pry it out at the edges (it's only held in with light adhesive strip).

All was good with the case until this week. After ca 2 months of use where the case has not been removed (it's been on since the day I assembled it), I noticed this week that the silicone case is separating at the bottom (right side). It seems to be expanding (due to heat?) and is getting to the point where it's not attached to the inner casing.

I guess I'll try contacting the company for a warranty replacement if this is a known issue.

I'm puzzled about the comments re the clip on this case being extendable so it can be used as a kick stand, mine doesn't have that feature at all (it can only rotate 360 degrees). Or was someone talking about a different model case?

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

My GS3 is also separating between the silicone and plastic on the lower right corner and a coworker has had his GS3 less time than I have and is experiencing the same thing. I contacted OB and they said to submit a warranty claim. I guess if they get enough warranty claims because of the separation issues, they may try to improve the silicone fit.

The newer material is thicker and stiffer. No issues now...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12