S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Great review Oli! As always I enjoy watching them.

I have had this case now about a month and I enjoy it! Works very well for me. Also the uninstalling of the case to clean it is much better than the commuter case.

Oli2k

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Great review Oli! As always I enjoy watching them.

I have had this case now about a month and I enjoy it! Works very well for me. Also the uninstalling of the case to clean it is much better than the commuter case.

Thanks and yeah it is so much easier to get on and off than the commuter

Reactions: cgardnervt

pjoet

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have issues with the screen protector being blurry/fuzzy? I have tried 2 different cases with the same problem, I will be returning.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
When I did my review, I had to stop the camera so that I could finish taking the Commuter off. One great thing about both the Commuter and the Defender is that they won't come off when dropped and not too much bulk.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have issues with the screen protector being blurry/fuzzy? I have tried 2 different cases with the same problem, I will be returning.

The screen protector is not HD clear but is much clearer than most non-adhesive ones. When inatalling, you need to clean your device and avoid any prints on the interior of the screen.

Gunnyh

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I am new here but not new to cell phones and forums.
My name is Gunny and I am a recovering CrackBerry Addict, until I got my S3.

I have used Otterboxes for years for many other devices. I knew right away that I would have to get something for the S3. I went with the Defender, as I had one on my last phone. I was concerned about the screen protector vs response. I also had some reservations about the bulk etc with the defender from posts here and elsewhere.

My review:
Bulk is not a problem at all, I think a lot of folks never had an Otter box and were use to plain cases that form fitted the phone. The Defender has minimal bulk and weight.

The fit is perfect and install was simple. Pieces were spot on.

The response and the overall display with the screen protector is not noticeable what so ever. Looks and feels the same.

Volume and power buttons just need a little bit extra pressure when using them, but nothing to complain about.

The clip/holster is great. Very secure. The S3 is not coming out without assistance. Just a bit of lifting up on the release tab when you want to put the S3 in with screen facing out. The belt clip mech works great. Really appreciate the clip being not only swivel 360 but being able to extend it all the way so the case can be used as a viewing stand.

Like all Otter Box products, they are not cheap. However, the warranty is lifetime and the guarantee they give is bar none. A lot of folks don't know that not only do they guarantee the case for life but they will replace your phone, tablet etc if it gets damaged.

Well that about sums it up. I give the Defender a 9 out of 10.

Hope everyone enjoys the holiday. Stay safe!:cool::cool:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I can definitely vouch for their guarantee. They honored it for my holster clip and the silicone lining for my wife's case. Thanks, Gunny, for your post and you service. I don't know too many manufacturers that will stand behind their product the way OB does.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So I just got in my third defender series case. First one was the green one and the screen protector got scratched all to hell from a plastic ID card. OB sent me a brand new one no questions asked. I decided to order the black one to give it another try. I am convinced they revised the screen protector. It is completely different from the other two, much improved. I immediately noticed this feint "grid" on the screen protector when I took it out of the package. Reminds me of the Trident cases with their built in protectors. So far I am much happier with it. Screen protector still gets dust under it but it works much better and is MUCH more clear.

I also noticed it was very tight. Just putting the phone in bottom plastic portion was quite a chore. Took me about 10 minutes to get the entire phone snapped together and it was VERY tight. I suppose this was to help prevent the "creaking" many people noticed.

I don't see a revision number anywhere but perhaps I am looking in the wrong areas. My only complaint is the belt holster is almost too tight. The clip that holds the phone in the holster is overly tight but hopefully this will loosen with use.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Bond32 the holster being too tight and virtually not being able to remove my device from it is partly why I don't currently use my Otterbox Defender...

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Bond32 the holster being too tight and virtually not being able to remove my device from it is partly why I don't currently use my Otterbox Defender...

I could see how this would be an issue for many. Weird thing is my other two defender cases didn't have this holster issue. Not a big deal to me personally because I don't use a holster.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have started carrying my OB Defender occasionally without the holster. It feels really weird putting it in my pocket.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well crap. Turns out I broke the tabs on my brand new defender. The darn thing was so tight it they just snapped whe I tried to put it together after cleaning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

SDQB17

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the review..I just ordered my phone yesterday...and then one of these based on this review. So you all know...these are almost half off the price at newegg...with free shipping too, I ordered one for 26.00.

On a side note...what docking charger should I get ...is there a preferred one that most purchase? I also like to use my phone as gps on my truck..so will be looking for a car dock also.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I have used an Akron car dock for about 2 years which plugs into a 12v port. I just got my S3 and am deciding which case to buy so the phone I used was a Galaxy I (AT&T Captivate) with a Body Glove case that has a detachable beltclip. The S3 does fit in the Akron. The Akron mount is capable of holding a fairly substantially sized case and is adjustable for the particular vehicle application. I originally used it in a Mustang and am now using it in a Fusion. The phone sits just to the right of the shifter when it's in the park position in the Fusion and sat above the center console in the Mustang owing to the different locations of the 12v accessory ports. I've had no problems with the Akron mount and highly recommend it, excellent customer service by telephone too.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Any of the expensive cases like otterbox, ballistic, etc are always cheaper on Amazon, newegg, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Any of the expensive cases like otterbox, ballistic, etc are always cheaper on Amazon, newegg, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Their stock is super low. Perhaps from holiday shopping. A few weeks ago you could get the defender new from amazon seller for $20. Now its over $30.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance