Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I was a bit late getting this case but I thought I'd post a review for you anyway



    Any feedback or questions are more than welcome.
    cgardnervt and jcp007 like this.
  2. #2  
    cgardnervt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,463 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    Carrier
    None Yet...

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Great review Oli! As always I enjoy watching them.

    I have had this case now about a month and I enjoy it! Works very well for me. Also the uninstalling of the case to clean it is much better than the commuter case.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Great review Oli! As always I enjoy watching them.

    I have had this case now about a month and I enjoy it! Works very well for me. Also the uninstalling of the case to clean it is much better than the commuter case.
    Thanks and yeah it is so much easier to get on and off than the commuter
    cgardnervt likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Anyone have issues with the screen protector being blurry/fuzzy? I have tried 2 different cases with the same problem, I will be returning.
  5. #5  

    Default

    I noticed a slight pixelated look with certain backgrounds, doesn't really bother me anymore.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    When I did my review, I had to stop the camera so that I could finish taking the Commuter off. One great thing about both the Commuter and the Defender is that they won't come off when dropped and not too much bulk.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Quote Originally Posted by pjoet View Post
    Anyone have issues with the screen protector being blurry/fuzzy? I have tried 2 different cases with the same problem, I will be returning.
    The screen protector is not HD clear but is much clearer than most non-adhesive ones. When inatalling, you need to clean your device and avoid any prints on the interior of the screen.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I found the Defender easy to get on and off but the Commuter is very hard to get on
  9. #9  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Has anyone had any success removing the built in screen protector without any resulting issues?
  10. #10  

    Thumbs up Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I am new here but not new to cell phones and forums.
    My name is Gunny and I am a recovering CrackBerry Addict, until I got my S3.

    I have used Otterboxes for years for many other devices. I knew right away that I would have to get something for the S3. I went with the Defender, as I had one on my last phone. I was concerned about the screen protector vs response. I also had some reservations about the bulk etc with the defender from posts here and elsewhere.

    My review:
    Bulk is not a problem at all, I think a lot of folks never had an Otter box and were use to plain cases that form fitted the phone. The Defender has minimal bulk and weight.

    The fit is perfect and install was simple. Pieces were spot on.

    The response and the overall display with the screen protector is not noticeable what so ever. Looks and feels the same.

    Volume and power buttons just need a little bit extra pressure when using them, but nothing to complain about.

    The clip/holster is great. Very secure. The S3 is not coming out without assistance. Just a bit of lifting up on the release tab when you want to put the S3 in with screen facing out. The belt clip mech works great. Really appreciate the clip being not only swivel 360 but being able to extend it all the way so the case can be used as a viewing stand.

    Like all Otter Box products, they are not cheap. However, the warranty is lifetime and the guarantee they give is bar none. A lot of folks don't know that not only do they guarantee the case for life but they will replace your phone, tablet etc if it gets damaged.

    Well that about sums it up. I give the Defender a 9 out of 10.

    Hope everyone enjoys the holiday. Stay safe!
    CDay1008 and jhsu123 like this.
  11. #11  

    Default

    I can definitely vouch for their guarantee. They honored it for my holster clip and the silicone lining for my wife's case. Thanks, Gunny, for your post and you service. I don't know too many manufacturers that will stand behind their product the way OB does.

    Sent From My Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
  12. #12  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    So I just got in my third defender series case. First one was the green one and the screen protector got scratched all to hell from a plastic ID card. OB sent me a brand new one no questions asked. I decided to order the black one to give it another try. I am convinced they revised the screen protector. It is completely different from the other two, much improved. I immediately noticed this feint "grid" on the screen protector when I took it out of the package. Reminds me of the Trident cases with their built in protectors. So far I am much happier with it. Screen protector still gets dust under it but it works much better and is MUCH more clear.

    I also noticed it was very tight. Just putting the phone in bottom plastic portion was quite a chore. Took me about 10 minutes to get the entire phone snapped together and it was VERY tight. I suppose this was to help prevent the "creaking" many people noticed.

    I don't see a revision number anywhere but perhaps I am looking in the wrong areas. My only complaint is the belt holster is almost too tight. The clip that holds the phone in the holster is overly tight but hopefully this will loosen with use.
  13. #13  
    ivantwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    1,500 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,012 Global Posts

    Default S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Bond32 the holster being too tight and virtually not being able to remove my device from it is partly why I don't currently use my Otterbox Defender...
  14. #14  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Bond32 the holster being too tight and virtually not being able to remove my device from it is partly why I don't currently use my Otterbox Defender...
    I could see how this would be an issue for many. Weird thing is my other two defender cases didn't have this holster issue. Not a big deal to me personally because I don't use a holster.

    Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I have started carrying my OB Defender occasionally without the holster. It feels really weird putting it in my pocket.

    Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
  16. #16  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Well crap. Turns out I broke the tabs on my brand new defender. The darn thing was so tight it they just snapped whe I tried to put it together after cleaning.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  17. #17  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Thank you for the review..I just ordered my phone yesterday...and then one of these based on this review. So you all know...these are almost half off the price at newegg...with free shipping too, I ordered one for 26.00.

    On a side note...what docking charger should I get ...is there a preferred one that most purchase? I also like to use my phone as gps on my truck..so will be looking for a car dock also.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I have used an Akron car dock for about 2 years which plugs into a 12v port. I just got my S3 and am deciding which case to buy so the phone I used was a Galaxy I (AT&T Captivate) with a Body Glove case that has a detachable beltclip. The S3 does fit in the Akron. The Akron mount is capable of holding a fairly substantially sized case and is adjustable for the particular vehicle application. I originally used it in a Mustang and am now using it in a Fusion. The phone sits just to the right of the shifter when it's in the park position in the Fusion and sat above the center console in the Mustang owing to the different locations of the 12v accessory ports. I've had no problems with the Akron mount and highly recommend it, excellent customer service by telephone too.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Any of the expensive cases like otterbox, ballistic, etc are always cheaper on Amazon, newegg, etc.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  20. #20  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Quote Originally Posted by zapfrog View Post
    Any of the expensive cases like otterbox, ballistic, etc are always cheaper on Amazon, newegg, etc.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Their stock is super low. Perhaps from holiday shopping. A few weeks ago you could get the defender new from amazon seller for $20. Now its over $30.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyh View Post
    I am new here but not new to cell phones and forums.
    My name is Gunny and I am a recovering CrackBerry Addict, until I got my S3.

    I have used Otterboxes for years for many other devices. I knew right away that I would have to get something for the S3. I went with the Defender, as I had one on my last phone. I was concerned about the screen protector vs response. I also had some reservations about the bulk etc with the defender from posts here and elsewhere.

    My review:
    Bulk is not a problem at all, I think a lot of folks never had an Otter box and were use to plain cases that form fitted the phone. The Defender has minimal bulk and weight.

    The fit is perfect and install was simple. Pieces were spot on.

    The response and the overall display with the screen protector is not noticeable what so ever. Looks and feels the same.

    Volume and power buttons just need a little bit extra pressure when using them, but nothing to complain about.

    The clip/holster is great. Very secure. The S3 is not coming out without assistance. Just a bit of lifting up on the release tab when you want to put the S3 in with screen facing out. The belt clip mech works great. Really appreciate the clip being not only swivel 360 but being able to extend it all the way so the case can be used as a viewing stand.

    Like all Otter Box products, they are not cheap. However, the warranty is lifetime and the guarantee they give is bar none. A lot of folks don't know that not only do they guarantee the case for life but they will replace your phone, tablet etc if it gets damaged.

    Well that about sums it up. I give the Defender a 9 out of 10.

    Hope everyone enjoys the holiday. Stay safe!
    Think you might want to read up on their warranty again it is now a one year limited and they don't guarantee your device remains unscathed


    http://m.otterbox.com/warranty/warranty,default,pg.html


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  22. #22  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I have spent about 15 hours now trying to find a case that offers a reasonable level of protection and has a beltclip that allows the phone to have the screen facing outward so I can see who is calling without having to remove the phone from a holster. I would also like a kickstand. I originally dismissed the Defender because another thread about it on this forum has posts claiming the built in screen protector is terrible for finger print smudges (I use anti-fingerprint screen guards). Because I can not find a case that meets my criteria I was going to try the Defender and went to Otter's website to familiarize myself with their cases. Many of the user reviews on Otter's website state the rubber outer back case becomes too loose in 2-3 months and that this case does not meet the quality standards the users have experienced with previous Otter purchases. There are also many complaints about dust getting into the case and various other problems, only 29 of 46 reviews would recommend it to a friend so I'm passing on it.

    The only other two cases I can find offering reasonable protection that have a beltclip allowing an outward facing phone are the Rokform Rokbed which I dismissed because of the 13 reviews of the beltclip (which is sold separately) on Amazon, almost every one is negative for various reasons and the Griffin Survivor which I haven't been able to find any reviews on.

    Before I order a Seidio Active probably the extended battery version which does not face out in the holster does anyone have any suggestions for a case with a reasonable amount of protection that has a beltclip that will allow the phone to face outward?
  23. #23  

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    So far so good with my rubber case not becoming loose although the one for the iPhone did and had to get a replacement.

    For a protective case with a kick stand try one of the ballistic HC series.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  24. #24  
    ivantwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    1,500 Posts
    Global Posts
    18,012 Global Posts

    Default S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    I have to say, I don't like the 'feeling' and 'use' of the home button with the Otterbox Defender case on.

    Just saying...
  25. #25  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: S3 Otterbox Defender Case Review

    Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I have to say, I don't like the 'feeling' and 'use' of the home button with the Otterbox Defender case on.

    Just saying...
    I agree. The screen protector makes it feel weird...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions