Various cases - mini review

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Seeing how I have this problem with finding the right case (for all my phones), I thought I would post up some of my findings from the various cases I have bought. Most of these I have either sent back or sold at this point but I will continue to update this as I get new ones.

1) Otterbox Defender series: Amazon.com: OtterBox Defender Series for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Retail Packaging - Atomic: Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Very durable case composed of a plastic inner layer, built in screen protector, outer silicon layer, and a durable holster. Also comes in various colors: Black, White/Black, Green/Black, Purple, Teal, and Camo.
b) Pros: Top notch protection, built in screen protector, outer silicon has been improved over previous defender series, not so big it won’t fit in the pocket, best customer support available.
c) Cons: Built in screen protector decreases clarity a lot, big, little pricey
d) Tip: I installed the Spigen ultra nano screen protector found here: Amazon.com: SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S3 Steinheil Ultra Nano CLEAR 3-PACK Screen Protector Cover: Cell Phones & Accessories. This reduced the gap between the otterbox built in screen protector and the phone itself which in turn helps with the reduced sensitivity.

2) Shell Holster combo: Amazon.com: Shell Holster Combo Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 with Kick-stand -At&t, Verizon, T-mobile, Us Cellular and Sprint: Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Excellent cheap case that gives minimal to medium protection. Almost identical to the shell holster combo from Verizon stores at a much cheaper price
b) Pros: Excellent feel, can be pocketed, kickstand, stays secure in the holster, price!
c) Cons: potential to break around power button, kickstand is flimsy, top and bottom of phone are unprotected
d) This is a great case for the money. Even if you don’t use the holster for the price the shell is great. Highly recommend this.

3) BoxWave Blackout TPU: Amazon.com: BoxWave Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3 Blackout Case - Durable, Slim-Fit Black Galaxy S3 TPU Case with Stylish Dual Glossy and Matte Finish - Samsung Galaxy S3 Cases and Covers: Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Had a $10 off coupon code (BWS3HALF) for BoxWave cases so thought I would try this.
b) Pros: good size, price, matte back
c) Cons: cheap, none of the ports lined up, what I received wasn’t the actual BoxWave case despite it being sold on amazon from BoxWave
d) Would not recommend this. Was disappointed with this case and it was unusable because nothing lined up correctly.

4) Black Aluminum Bumper: Amazon.com: HHI ReElegant Aircraft Aluminum Bumper Case for Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3 - Black (Package include a HandHelditems Sketch Stylus Pen): Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Wanted to give this a go but I knew there would be signal degradation being that it is aluminum
b) Pros: tight fit, decent protection for being a bumper, looks great
c) Cons: went from -83 asu to -91 asu, sliding design can peel up screen protectors and scratch the phone, price is a little high for the quality, camera still exposed when laying the phone on its back
d) The signal degradation was too much for me with this case. When you loose that signal then the battery life will suffer. Sent this back right away.

5) OEM Flip cover in pebble blue: Amazon.com: Flip Cover EFC-1G6FBE for i9300 Galaxy S3 - Blue: Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Purchased this in the Verizon store. Felt it was over priced but I wanted to give it a try.
b) Pros: looks great, different, OEM quality, covers the screen for protection
c) Cons: expensive, hard to use the camera, can’t see notification light with the flap closed
d) I returned this mainly because I could not bring myself to spend that much for what you get. With my discount in the store it was still $30. This isn’t a bad option if you need to change batteries frequently as it replaces the battery cover.

6) Incipio silicryic double cover: Amazon.com: Incipio SA-302 Silicrylic Hard Shell Case with Silicone Core for Samsung Galaxy S3 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black/Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Also purchased this in the Verizon store. I believe the blue version is exclusive to Verizon stores.
b) Pros: great feel, great protection, easy install, fairly priced (on amazon)
c) Cons: too expensive in the store ($25 with discount), included stand is worthless, buttons press too easy
d) This is a great case. If you need simple, good, light protection this is a great choice. Recommended.

7) Otterbox Commuter: Amazon.com: OtterBox Commuter Series - Retail Packaging - Atomic: Cell Phones & Accessories
a) Slimmed down version of the popular defender case, the commuter for the S3 has also been improved over previous commuter versions. Comes in green (atomic), purple, blue, black, and white.
b) Pros: great medium to heavy protection, includes screen protector (rather than a built in), slides easy in the pocket, silicon has been improved (much tougher), fairly priced, covers for ports
c) Cons: buttons are REALLY hard to press as noted in other reviews, I heard the screen protector wasn’t good quality
d) This is a great case. Gives you really amazing protection without being too big. Slides easy in and out of the pocket. I would have kept this case if I wasn’t given the defender as a gift.

8) Thin back cover: 0 2mm Thin Black Matte TPU Back Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S3 SIII i9300 s 3 | eBay
a) Just mentioning this to steer others clear but this case is garbage.
b) Pros: price maybe?
c) Cons: feels paper thin, fits loose, came off the phone in my pocket
d) Don’t bother with these. I was curious so thought I would try it but you’re better off without a case. The ebay seller did refund me and I sent it back.