4600mAh Extended Battery for Galaxy S3

jason1984

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just watched this review about this 4600mAh extended battery:
galaxy_s3_xl.jpg

The reviewer does not really answer the pricing question.
I don't really care how expensive it is, I can see it goes for 87.95$ at the Mugen web-site but just out of curiousity, why is it so expensive? I can see other batteries like Hyperion for cheaper price, but I'm always biased by the price. I just don't trust cheap stuff, so my question would be to those, who could shed light on pricing here.
Why do some batteries for for 20$ and Mugen for example goes for 80$ and higher?

Attachments

• galaxy_s3_xl.jpg
    galaxy_s3_xl.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 366

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think 4200mah is perfect for a phone and its size is good enough...I have the Hyperion 4200mah battery and I think its just right...the 4600 size is pretty big but I like the kickstandand im sure the price owuld be expensive...Id just get the 4200

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Cruise over to gorillagadgets.com and check out their 4500 mAh extended battery. It's on sale now, and comes with backplates in 4 colors. I have one and love it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

longus catus

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
You are correct!

After being scammed by QCell using short batteries and plastic shims to fill in the space, I bought 2 battery analyzers (CBA-III & CBA-IV) and a bunch of extended batteries and tested them. I wanted to answer the question, "What makes Mugen's $88 battery so special?" Well, let's start off with a look at the results:
ezopower anker hyperion onite gorilla gadgets mugen seidio qcell composite.png

Nothing special about the Mugen battery, it tested at 4190mAh, 91% of advertised capacity. Notice how other batteries surpass their advertised rating, and some much cheaper batteries outperform Mugen. Let's take a look at the inside of the Mugen battery:
20121010_213115.jpg

The writing on the battery is SWB495060AR/12F25001 +4.35V.

I've seen the Gorilla Gadgets and the Hyperion batteries have the same inscription... I'll just include one picture so I don't waste too much space:
Hyperion:
hyperion-4200mAh-battery-cell-part-number.jpg

That writing too says SWB495060AR/12F25001 +4.35V. There has to be more to the story than just the numbers being the same, because the Gorilla Gadgets has the same thing, but has significantly more capacity. More details on all that are scant at best.

I had that same question... What makes Mugen so special? I hope I've answered it!

frazicl

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm not here to convince people one way or another about their choice of extended battery, but after doing my own homework, I chose the Gorilla extended 4500mah battery. I too had the same concern about the price ($24), but couldn't find info that warned me away so I tried it. ALmost 3 months now and I've been extremely happy with the Gorilla. I don't worry about my battery life from using my phone for anything, anytime. Using my phone with TuneIn and Bluetooth, listening to music most of the day, the phone is easily good for 2+ days. If I'm not playing with battery eating toys and just using the phone for a phone, battery is discharging at about 15-20% a day. AND I always keep my screen on its brightest.

The only complaint I have with Gorilla is with the case itself. I love the fact that the Mugen's extended battery case seems as tight to the phone (not any bulkier than it has to be) and especially that it has a kickstand. If I can't buy the Mugen cover by itself, I'll buy the battery and keep it charged as a backup, just to get the cover. From what I've read, the Mugen battery won't disappoint me either.

longus catus

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
The mugen battery is only 4200mah and ridiculously overpriced. I bought tested, and reviewed the battery. The back case is disappointingly shoddy for the price. If you want a cool case, try the seidio one... but you'll have to call them up and order a "replacement"

Ricky20

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the gorilla gadget battery with the case for 25 bucks.. Really good deal. I'll let you know how much I like it/hate it when I receive it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ghostobzen

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
the fact that you got a faulty battery does not give you the right to spit over the brand. when I had S3, this battery saved my **** every day, and it lasted longer than they advertised it actually. If this one did not work for you, contact them and report your issues, they will send it to the factory to improve the battery. I've done that with the iPAQ battery a long time ago. Mugen is very responsive, so instead of feeding your pride, be of help to them - also read this thread, dude. Battery tests can only be conclusive if you use at least 40-50 samples to collect your data, otherwise if based on 1 sample they mean nothing. Also, we don't know where you got it. If you got it from Amazon where they sell tons of fake Mugen, I'm not surprised you got a bogus battery.
Mugen 4600mAH

Test Times: 5Hrs 58Min
Purchase Date: November 2012
Test Date: February 2013
NFC: Yes

Anker 4400mAH

Test Times: 5Hrs 19Min
Purchase Date: July 2012
NFC: No

Hyperion 4200mAH

Test Times: 5Hrs 10Min
Purchase Date: July 2012
NFC: Yes

longus catus

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
I bought the battery directly from Mugen's website, and used a transparent, unbiased, calibrated, repeatable, minimal variable test to analyze the battery, along with opening it up and showing it had the markings of a lesser capacity battery, and performs like one too.

My tests are more accurate than any other methods used for testing, and the physical evidence is undeniable. It only seems fair that if you're trying to rebut my analysis with somebody else's test results, that they match the requirements you put forth for mine and be the average of a 50 sample set.

Being blamed for a poor test result, or told that it was merely an anomaly or defective product with company x's battery is nothing new to me. Illogical arguments are used in the defense of company x, and impractical requests or demands are made, among other things.

If there is a result that doesn't make sense at all, I would consider that the product is defective, but my experience says the result here is not because of a defective battery.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03