Qi No Longer The Standard For WireLess Power. Samsung's Wireless Group

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Alliance for Wireless Power approves its specification, edges closer to truly cable-free charging
posted Oct 30th 2012 1:13AM

Design by committee might not be the death knell for technology after all. Over four months after the Alliance for Wireless Power was founded in earnest, the coalition has already greenlit a specification for its partners to work from. The guideline lets device makers start building devices that charge through a magnetic resonance technology more forgiving of distance and material than Qi while simplifying the process through short-range wireless formats like Bluetooth 4.0. While the A4WP group hasn't made all the details public, it's holding meetings this week to speed up the commercialization process -- it's here that we'll learn whether the corporate bureaucracy is just as quick at getting wireless charging hardware into our hands as it is handshaking on standards.

Alliance for Wireless Power Rolls Out Flexible Wireless Power Specification

- Will support simultaneous charging of multiple devices with different power requirements

FREMONT, Calif., Oct. 29, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP), a global and independently operated consortium focused on bringing wireless power to the consumer electronics marketplace, today announced that the technical working committee has approved a more flexible wireless power specification that will allow consumers to charge their mobile devices on a variety of compatible surfaces.

"The Alliance for Wireless Power and its members have been focused on creating a more flexible wireless power specification that sets the stage for formal standardization in the future," said Dr. Kamil A. Grajski, president of the A4WP. "Approval of the A4WP wireless power specification establishes a true path forward for the commercialization of wireless charging that will satisfy the needs of most consumers. A4WP and its members will now set their sights on building compliant wireless applications that can be integrated by key industries including automotive, furniture and retail."

The A4WP specification is based on a concept of spatial freedom, which extends wireless power applications beyond the accessory or add-on market to fully integrated solutions in the device as well as surfaces such as furniture and automobiles. The A4WP specification brings a number of unique benefits to the wireless charging ecosystem.

* For consumers, the A4WP specification supports simultaneous charging of multiple devices with various power requirements such as handsets, Bluetooth headsets, MP3 players, GPS devices and mobile tablets
* For industrial designers, the A4WP specification leverages a loosely coupled magnetic resonance technology and provides more flexibility for charging applications to be installed into automobiles, furniture and other surfaces
* For the consumer electronics industry, the A4WP specification takes advantage of broadly adopted wireless technologies, such as Bluetooth 4.0, which will allow manufacturers to minimize hardware requirements

"We know from our own global research that wireless power is an attractive feature for consumers. But to see it proliferate into our mobile devices, into our cars or at our favorite coffee shop, the industry must see that it can be practically integrated into many different devices and charging surfaces," said Steve Pazol, vice president of business development at Qualcomm. "The A4WP specification gives integrators and manufacturers that clear path forward to integrate wireless charging into almost any type of mobile device or surface."

"Today's consumer is often running around with multiple mobile devices, and it's clear that wireless charging technology will become critical to powering these devices as they advance further," said KiHo Kim, Executive Vice President of Samsung Electronics. "We endorse the A4WP specification because it is designed from the ground up to support this multi-device lifestyle and gives consumers the best available wireless charging experience."

A4WP members will meet October 30 and 31 in Dallas to discuss strategies to bring wireless charging technology to mobile consumers and the mass consumer electronics marketplace. The two-day program will include briefings on technical specifications, certification procedures and global regulatory considerations.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
This was Approved and posted by this site. So go Boss someone else around. This was a News Release and if not interested,Leave.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Explain why Verizon's S3's are the ONLY models that have the Qi setup in Battery compartment then if you aren't buying the Words from the HORSES mouth!!!!

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
This was Approved and posted by this site. So go Boss someone else around. This was a News Release and if not interested,Leave.

I said please...

Looks like a two person conversation for now, so I'm probably not the only one "not buying" that propaganda. I'm surprised the site approved your copy/paste post, I wouldn't think you would need their approval to start a thread.

It's just normal forum etiquette not to copy/paste entire lengthy press releases, with declarative, inaccurate, and over hyped thread titles.

If you want a discussion, link the press release, maybe give a quick overview and then post your question or discussion point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Funny how people like you are quick to tell someone they are wrong when you should spend that energy researching this easy to find information, on the website of the company that this information is about instead of being Lazy and obviously getting your kicks from being a Negative responder, RESPONDING to facts that you haven't even tried to research yourself.
So I guess these fourms aren't for info, help, knowledge of any kind, just a place for you to waste others time and energy. Do the Fourms a favor by not responding to a subject that you have no clue what is going on. This isn't a new subject nor a new idea that Samsung just came up with. YEARS BOY, that's how new this subject has been in the workings.
So unless you can add to or show that Samsung, Qualcomm and others posted this info on their Wireless website that they Founded (started ) ,and decided to post untrue facts for the consumer to read and ????????? G O O G L E can help you very easily and maybe Bing it......Use your Laziness elsewhere......

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
1. I am not your "Boy" (check my avatar if you don't believe that, it's not just some cool picture).

2. Please try to make your posts more coherent, so I can respond appropriately.

3. As far as I can tell you are upset that I am not "buying" the premise that Qi is dead, just because an article you copy/pasted said so. If you notice the "article" you posted is not written by the AP, or Engadget, or any tech blog, it is from PRnewswire, which is just a firm that publicizes and distributes press releases. The press release is probably written by someone contracted by the companies involved in this consortium to present the image of a new, immutable, world standard, though it is not. I don't know if you are just naive, or didn't know, but it is normal for the companies involved to prematurely present these proposed "standards" as the next best thing to sliced bread, proclaim themselves the new king of the hill, and declare the competition dead, as an attempt to better position themselves in the market. You seem to have bought their PR, hook, line, and sinker. It is a proposed new standard that several companies are getting on board with, and may or may not come to fruition as some kind of recognized world standard. Frankly as I said before, I am not buying it as the next best thing to sliced bread, as there are several competing "standards", and this new consortium has ground to cover. I wish them the best, but it is not, as portrayed, a recognized world standard, or on the way to making all the competition obsolete.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
1. nowhere is it stated that Qi was DEAD.....There can be different Wireless Chargers on the Market. Same as using A/C Energy and D/C Energy.

2. Seriously if you would just do a little research you might be up to date on what is going on.

3. Who was the First to sell Universal induction chargers? PowerMat, now Owned by P&G, Duracell Powermat. Do you know which Consortium they are a member of?

4. Qualcomm, do you know anything about this company and what they have invested in wireless charging, Time, Money, Company they bought a while back?

5. If you know just a couple of these facts, it all falls in place. This isn't a hobbie for these 2 companies that are the Largest in what they are. Samsung, World's Largest TV Manufacture, plus other things that they can supply for their own profits.

6. Qualcomm needed a Brand Name ( Name known by Consumers) to move ahead with what they have been working on for years, so they can get it on the market. They Have been working with Samsung for a while and each has what the other needs to form a product that one makes the internal parts ( INDUCTION) THAT'S Qualcomm, while other Makes the device (Phones, TV's, Stereos, DVD,Cd etc etc etc) Thats' (SAMSUNG) that uses that Technology
7. Samsung, Qualcomm are the Founders of the A4WP Group. THEY come up with the idea, they started it, they took in other members.....See how this works. Just because Samsung is a member of the other guys doesn't mean they don't have the POWER to push a Standard their way.

8. Cause the Technology that they have is FAR more ADVANCED then the smaller group. For God's sakes, talk about something you know because this isn't it.

9. My Company here in Atlanta is 60 percent of this Technology and because of not relying on facts from this site or anything close to it, I have grown my company to 36 employees and Prime Location Dwellings. This is not bought by your regular walmart consumer nor seen daily to general public.

10. This has been in wholesale marketing for a few years.

11 Remember HD DVD? BluRay DVD.....how did one get the upper hand over the other? HD DVD had more space available on the disc, but BluRay got it. Who/What huge company made that happen?

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Here are the Groups;

Alliance for Wireless Power | Home

About the Alliance for Wireless Power
The Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP) ? Alliance for Wireless Power | Home, is an industry association open to companies interested in advancing the field of wireless power by delivering a specification that permits spatial freedom. The specification, based on magnetic resonance, goes beyond current charging methods to transfer power wirelessly through surfaces to portable devices such as mobile phones, tablets, computers, headsets, digital cameras and e-readers. A4WP combines the research and design capabilities of some of the world's leading electronics companies to promote a specification for wireless power technology, products and services.

Wireless Power Consortium - Creating the Standard for Wireless Charging
The Wireless Power Consortium published the Qi low power specification in August 2009, 18 months aftter the first meeting. The first product was certified in September 2009.

Intitally wireless charging of mobile phones required a sleeve.

The first mobile phones with integrated Qi receivers were announced at CTIA in March 2011 and by NTT-Docomo in May 2011.

Power Matters Alliance; Powermatters - Home

AT&T, Google, Starbucks Back ?PMA? Wireless Power Ecosystem and Open Standard.
Read More
We spell power PMA
The Power Matters Alliance (PMA), a growing community of forward-thinking, cross-sector industry leaders, government agencies and regulatory bodies, working together to create a better power paradigm at the consumer endpoint. Read More
Power 2.0: Charging forward
The PMA is working to advance the widespread acceptance of the wireless power paradigm by developing a suite of universally accepted standards that every player in the mobile telephony and computing device playing field can embrace. Read More

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
What a Joke it is to say no more Cut/Paste when you want/need proof of these facts that are located on the owners website.

So if you would get off that high Chair you are on and walk yourself, Your fingers to read these Informational websites on what is going on in the world of wireless charging etc, THEN you wouldn't have to complain about reading all these words on here.....

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't buy this headline either. The Qi specification (WPC) has a pretty significant head start with phones such as the Nokia Lumia 820/920 or the Nexus 4. A4WP is late to the game. Qi is also heavily supported by carriers such as Verizon, Softbank (just acquired Sprint), NTT Docomo and others around the globe.

A4WP's major "claim to fame" is the use of magnetic resonance allowing spatial xyz freedom and the simultaneous charge of multiple devices (which can be done using Qi also). The new v1.1 (or v1.1.1) Qi spec now also allows for magnetic resonance. One such transmitter design is already included. So this advantage is no more.

So we will have to wait and see which standard wins at the end. Just like VHS vs. Video 2000 vs. BetaMax or BlueRay vs. HD DVD. Unfortunately it's slowing down the initial adoption of this great technology (I used a Palm Pre for years and still enjoy my TouchPad with wireless charging).

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't buy this headline either. The Qi specification (WPC) has a pretty significant head start with phones such as the Nokia Lumia 820/920 or the Nexus 4. A4WP is late to the game. Qi is also heavily supported by carriers such as Verizon, Softbank (just acquired Sprint), NTT Docomo and others around the globe.

A4WP's major "claim to fame" is the use of magnetic resonance allowing spatial xyz freedom and the simultaneous charge of multiple devices (which can be done using Qi also). The new v1.1 (or v1.1.1) Qi spec now also allows for magnetic resonance. One such transmitter design is already included. So this advantage is no more.

So we will have to wait and see which standard wins at the end. Just like VHS vs. Video 2000 vs. BetaMax or BlueRay vs. HD DVD. Unfortunately it's slowing down the initial adoption of this great technology (I used a Palm Pre for years and still enjoy my TouchPad with wireless charging).

Heavily Supported?
Qi Public Locations
US Locations: 0, Zero
Japan Locations: 10,000

Other Guys Public Locations:
US Locations: Jay-Z Club
Madison Square Garden
Delta Airlines
Westfield, Major Owner of Malls
Facebook
Barkclay Center
GM, General Motors
Manufactures of the Products that will install the Wireless Charging Abilities

Just a Start of the List, So I guess the ones that are ahead of the game are the ones that have Zero Gain for Public Use.......

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Distribution of Video 2000 products began in 1979 and ended in 1988; they were marketed exclusively in Europe, Brazil, and Argentina. Not even in the US

anon(645340)

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Heavily Supported?
Qi Public Locations
US Locations: 0, Zero
Japan Locations: 10,000

Other Guys Public Locations:
US Locations: Jay-Z Club
Madison Square Garden
Delta Airlines
Westfield, Major Owner of Malls
Facebook
Barkclay Center
GM, General Motors
Manufactures of the Products that will install the Wireless Charging Abilities

Just a Start of the List, So I guess the ones that are ahead of the game are the ones that have Zero Gain for Public Use.......

As I wrote earlier, we'll have to wait and see which specification will make it at the end - if at all. The locations you have listed are from the PMA press release (and not A4WP). Interestingly PMA has announced their intention to develop yet another specification (under the IEEE umbrella). If this becomes reality it would be the 3rd. I guess you'd agree that having multiple specifications isn't exactly helpful to spread this fine technology to the masses.

You probably also read that Verizon announced yesterday their 2nd smart phone (HTC 8X) with WLC built-in (using Qi). Verizon stated that WLC is one of their core customer experience initiatives and they stated that interoperability is very important to them. It's hard to imagine they will offer phones with other WLC technology later on. But then again you never know.

Just today I read that T-Mobile announced that the Nexus 4 will be available soon on their network - yet another phone using Qi.

I couldn't care less which specification will win at the end. All I want to is a rapid adoption of WLC everywhere. Having one universal specification would be much better.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
LOL....From press release???? do you even know what PMA stands for???
And if it's under the IEEE umbrella, what does those 4 letters IEEE remind you of???? Look up what Qualcomm's special is, And the Wireless Technology that they OWN the Patent To.....WiPower....kinda like WiFi.......LOL...
HINT....Instead of Guessing your knowledge of any of this, Do a little leg work, well finger work, even easier for you, and Look at the Members of the two and if you have been following this for a while, prob not, you will see that in a Group, when they come to an agreement, That prob would want to go ahead and get the ball running with their own companies.

As Samsung and Qualcomm started the Group, it wouldn't make since for them to follow everybody back to their Company and be up their Butts....

Waste your time educating how business works and don't waste the Readers time on here when I'm sure they will want to do a Little Google here and there with all these company's names and follow the trails. You really don't think that they would send you daily notes on what they do and plan day by day.
This is in the Field of the Type of Business I own and have been in it since 1994 so it's not hard to keep up esp when it isn't Top Secret.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just because T-mobile will sell Nexus doesn't mean they have to have Qi or that they can have both.... T-Mobile is a member of??????
Verzion is Qi but Samsung started their own Standard.....see how it works??????

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Third one down......

A4WP Members

Broadcom
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500? company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom? products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything?.

BURY
The BURY brand is a well-known and acclaimed name and stands for innovation, highest quality and customer proximity all over the world. With creativity and passion, we develop products hand-in-hand with and for the car industry and also with qualified specialist retailers. This means quality without compromise and technological leadership in our segment are values upon which we as well as our customers can depend.

Deutsche Telekom
Deutsche Telekom is one of the world's leading integrated telecommunications companies, with approximately 129 million mobile customers, 36 million fixed-network lines, and more than 16 million broadband lines. We provide fixed-network/broadband, mobile communications, Internet, and IPTV products and services for consumers, and information and communication technology (ICT) solutions for business and corporate customers.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
http://www.a4wp.org/news/PR_10.29.12.pdf....... Less then 10 days ago....read last line below carefully. Why does a Standard have to be one set of Letters? You know like Batteries are D/C....how many types of batteries are there?

Alliance for Wireless Power Rolls Out Flexible Wireless Power Specification
? Will support simultaneous charging of multiple devices with different power requirements
? Will allow installation of wireless charging applications into almost any surface
? Will minimize hardware requirements by leveraging existing wireless technologies

^^^^^^^^^ above means something that is now, not furture....

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Report after the A4WP meeting.....see the words Spatial Freeddom and PMA ( Power Matters Alliance) all in the same Meeting??? I just did a little search and finding more and more recent reports

A4WP approves wireless power spec, promises "spatial freedom"

By Rick Burgess

On October 30, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Comments 8
intel, qualcomm, samsung, mobile, smartphone, standards, powermat, power matters alliance, all for wireless power, a4wp, qi, magnetic resonance, specifications, inducti

Following yesterday's news of AT&T, Google and Starbucks joining the Power Matters Alliance, another wireless power consortium by the name of Alliance for Wireless Power has announced today the approval of its own wireless power standard. The new specification promises flexibility, simultaneous charging of many different devices and will offer power delivery over greater spatial distances than competing alternatives.

A4WP approves wireless power spec, promises "spatial freedom" - TechSpot News

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Head over to Qualcomm's website, Qualcomm had signed Letter of Intent with POWERMAT

IDT Selected to Develop Integrated Receiver Chip based on Qualcomm?s Wireless Power Technology
Oct 29, 2012
IDT Selected to Develop Integrated Receiver Chip based on Qualcomm?s Wireless Power Technology
Oct 29, 2012
Qualcomm Signs Letter of Intent with Powermat to Investigate New Wireless Power Solutions for Consumers
Jan 6, 2011

WiPower

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae