Otterbox vs. Ballistic

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So I had Otterboxes for my iPhones and the one problem I had was the silicon would become loose within five months. Luckily OB has great customer service. Got the S3 and liked the look of the OB Defender and liked the fact it had a better silicon retaining lip around the outside. Problem is the silicon is already coming away at the corners, not very happy. So I might start looking elsewhere.

I like the SG MAXX and the two other cases that are coming soon on the Ballistic site. My question is this; I have read countless reviews for AND against the removable screen protector in the Ballistic SG MAXX. Some say it's cloudy, it's too thick, etc. while others say the opposite. So which is it? Maybe I should just wait for the other two cases to be released?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the Defender and the fact that OB sent me a case and holster when all I needed was the holster? No question. I generally change phone every 12 to 18 months so longevity beyond that window is not as much of a consideration. You can't go wrong with either. I believe that the Defender provides more protection while my son likes the Ballistic Maxx on hid GS3 because it is lighter.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the Defender and the fact that OB sent me a case and holster when all I needed was the holster? No question. I generally change phone every 12 to 18 months so longevity beyond that window is not as much of a consideration. You can't go wrong with either. I believe that the Defender provides more protection while my son likes the Ballistic Maxx on hid GS3 because it is lighter.
Have you looked at the screen protector to see if it's as grainy as everyone claims?
Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

foxforce5

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had the Ballistic before I got the extended battery (Hyperion) and extended back, case & holster (Seidio). The first Ballistic case was OK, and I guess I just got used to having the thick/cloudy screen protector. But when the clip on the holster broke, AT&T made me return the entire case/holster setup...new everything, screen protector and all. Well, the new screen protector didn't fit as perfectly as the original. It was a little too big, I think, and the plastic sheet "bowed" (created a gap between the protector and the screen itself). This created a real issue, as I had to press pretty hard on the screen (couldn't just tap) when trying to engage the center portion of it. Needless to say, this sucked. So, I kept the case on the phone (the Ballistic case is wonderful - I accidentally dropped the phone from approx. 4 feet off the ground with the Ballistic, onto ceramic tile, and didn't have a single issue afterward), but discarded the screen protector. When I did that, I realized just how cloudy the screen protector was, and was thrilled with how vivid and sharp the real screen is without that protector dimming and blurring it.

I have no screen protector on my G3 now, with the Seidio Active case on it, and am very happy with it. If you don't think you'll subject yours to considerable abuse, I would avoid the Ballistic case...or get the case and do away with that screen protector.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Odd my question didn't post from before. But the previous poster answered my question. Thinking I might get the Maxx and see how the protector is and if not just get a removable one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mannuke

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Had the Ballistic Every1case and did not like it at all. Screen protector was pixilated, the kick stand is really cheap and the plug covers look like they were cut to form with scissors.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon