[Review] Inexpensive Dock Cable

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yesterday, I received one of these: Car Aux Audio Output Cable USB Charger Cable for Sam Sung S3 i9300 i9220 I9100 | eBay .

$(KGrHqZ,!lYFDe!Ng)D0BQ-T4pNz(!~~60_3.JPG

The cable is supposed to tell the phone it's docked, and launch car mode apps if you configure them properly. And, if you check the Audio Output Mode option

EC002114.jpg

it is supposed to direct sound to the 3.5mm cable output instead of the headphone jack. This might be a solution for those who can't seem to get the headphone jack and Bluetooth to work at the same time.

So this morning I gave it a try on my way to work. It does, indeed, tell the phone it's docked. In fact, even if the USB end isn't plugged into a charger, just plugging the micro-USB plug into the phone triggers car mode. And it does route audio out the USB port. So far, so good.

The downside, however, is the audio output contains a great deal of noise. Not hiss, but strange, random squeeks, whistles, and so on. I don't know if it's the cable, the phone, or maybe the other apps I had running. I'll play around with it some more over the next few days and see what's what.

The upside is that if you already have a car cradle of some sort, and want to make it work as a dock, this will do that, and do it cheap. $7.15 shipped to the U.S. compares pretty favorably to a $40 dock. And yes, it does charge the phone, too (as long as you plug the USB end into a charger. :) )

If I can figure out the audio issues, this thing is a steal. Even without the audio function, I think it's worth the money just to put it the phone in dock mode.

Edit: I've done some more testing, in a couple of different cars, using two different USB chargers, three different accessory sockets, and one car's built-in USB jack.

The noise is coming from the car's own electrical system. If I use the dock cable without plugging it into a charger (or built-in USB socket) it works fine, with no noise in the audio output. Unfortunately, if you're using the phone in car dock mode, you're probably going to want it charging. It appears that the cheap cable just isn't shielded well enough, and noise from the DC line bleeds into the audio line.For less than $8, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Still for some purposes, it may still be fine. If you crank the volume on the phone up to max, and turn the volume in your car stereo down some, the noise in the audio output isn't as noticeable, and it's not as distracting when using it for GPS voice instructions as it is with music. Oh, if your choice in music tends towards rock and pop without much in the way of quiet passages, you might not notice the noise at all, except between songs.

Last edited:

Detonation

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought one of these cables and just wanted to post that I do not get any noise when using it in my car. Audio sounds at least as good as it does coming straight from the 3.5mm jack. Good deal for $5 I paid for it.

sure why not

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
If the car is the problem I might suggest tapping a capacitor (noise suppression condenser) in the feed to the power port, or a ferrite bead on the cable itself.

Since the bluetooth in my stereo is dead I will be looking for one of these soon.

morten hagen

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello meyerweb,

I just got the same kind of cable, but I cannot make it work. I already got a similar cable to my Iphone and here it's just plug and play. On my Padfone 2 (android 4.1.1), I cannot find a setting for dock mode. I've installed the SoundAbout app, and I have tried to change different settings with no luck .... do you have an advise?

Manuel Zuleta

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
im having the same issue.
I bought the cable from amazon for my Tmobile note 2 while running 4.4.2 Kit Kat and it didnt work
i just updated to 5.0, also wont work. (custom AOSP rom)

i tried it on my galaxy tab 4 running stock KK 4.4.2 (touchwiz as of stock) and no luck either

if you can email me or respond to this comment if you find an answer, would be greatly appreciated