Why don't extension mic audio cables don't work with S3?

zoomiest

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I have mounted my S3 on a tripod, and plan to take a lot of video - BUT, to bring a mic closer to the subject being recorded, I have tested many audio extension cables, that I have, and NONE work, except the standard mic, included in the ear buds.

Why is that? How can I get around that? I would like to have better quality than across-the-room, echoing, audio. I am using standard audio cables...

Can anyone help me?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For the mic to work you can't just use a mic cable, you need a headset cable. And that separates both audio output channels, the microphone in audio channel, and the control signal (headset button). Unless you're using another headset to record audio, your only option would be to strip a headset cable (like the one from your included ear buds), figure out the right line and ground connectors and solder that to your microphone cable. BUT I'm not sure if that'll work either, since the phone needs to go into 'headset mode' to use that microphone as the line input, and I'm not sure if only having the microphone line connected would actually trigger the phone to go into this mode.

zoomiest

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Wow.
That makes sense. I have Googled it, and see that people actually sell them...

(Wouldn't it be nice if there was an app that kicked it into headset mode, so I could use my mic extension cables... )

THANK YOU SPOOKDROID!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That would be nice, or I guess you could also use a BT microphone, if such a thing exists. Anyway, hope it works for you :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781