TouchWiz Natural UX beats Sense 4

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Tons of new features - Direct Call, Smart Alert, stay awake, S Voice, 50GB dropbox, all the Sense 4 camera features, face tagging and sharing, AllShare Cast/Play. What does Sense 4 have - some skins and 100 clock widgets?

I've always had HTC phones so I don't have first hand experience with TouchWiz, but this looks pretty good.

Last edited:

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I agree here. I was an early fan of Sense. However recently some of the functionality seems like its going backwards. Although Sense4 looks nice too. Older iterations of TouchWiz I hated. But then again, as soon as AOSP ICS is put out for this im grabbing it from XDA and not looking back.

Reactions: Pieface

I_Am_Incredible

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. I've always has Sense UI phones with the Hero and the EVO... now I have the Gnex. And even though I've always liked Sense, the new version doesn't really do anything for me. I'm a fan of "FEATURES", and I feel like New TouchWiz is giving us a lot of interesting features that makes the phone really stand out.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree here. I was an early fan of Sense. However recently some of the functionality seems like its going backwards. Although Sense4 looks nice too. Older iterations of TouchWiz I hated. But then again, as soon as AOSP ICS is put out for this im grabbing it from XDA and not looking back.

Any custom Rom is not going to have any of the new software features. I'm not sure its worth it, after all we don't even know how heavy TouchWiz is.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Any custom Rom is not going to have any of the new software features. I'm not sure its worth it, after all we don't even know how heavy TouchWiz is.

That is true. While I might love the new TouchWiz, theres a change I might not. I like AOSP ICS better, if that means giving up some of the features im ok with that. Just me. The speed of the phone (assuming US will get the S4 from Samsung) and the looks would be plenty. You can do so much with this phone, potential is very high for Dev solutions.

Reactions: Pieface

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the real key is a true unlocked bootloader, unlike the joke that is 'HTC dev unlock'. Samsung phones have been pretty good in this regard.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I wasnt that big of a fan of TW and it was going to be one of my main determining factors between getting the SGSIII and the E4GLTE. TW has stepped up to the challenge. While I still think that TW is ugly. I love all of the features that comes with it. It was a brilliant software update. I hope they find a way that I can root and have vanilla stock ICS along with these Samsung features. Unrealistic but I can dream right?

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What's so good about TW in this phone... It looks the same as my galaxy s2 animation wise.... All the new features are good tho

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can go into the App manager and disable the TouchWiz launcher as default and use the Stock ICS launcher. I know you can on GS2 so I'm assuming it would be the same for the GS3. This way you get a stock ICS feel but with all the Touchwiz apps like the camera, dialer, messenger, etc.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Anybody listen to the podcast Phil and Alex did? If not go do it...I'll wait.

Ok. I agree with them. Looks like it's ON TOP of ICS and not PART of ICS. Some of the features are cool, though.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure you can go into the App manager and disable the TouchWiz launcher as default and use the Stock ICS launcher. I know you can on GS2 so I'm assuming it would be the same for the GS3. This way you get a stock ICS feel but with all the Touchwiz apps like the camera, dialer, messenger, etc.

This is just for the launcher though right? The launcher doesnt really matter in my opinion because we're all going to use Nova, Apex, or Go launcher anyway.

HAAS599

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
This is just for the launcher though right? The launcher doesnt really matter in my opinion because we're all going to use Nova, Apex, or Go launcher anyway.

Yeah, just the launcher. I was just giving a simple solution to get rid of touchwiz with minimal effort. I prefer my launcher to be a system app but play store launchers do the job just fine too and offer a lot of customization options.

Reactions: Tkbredx

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I do like a lot of the features you mentioned. The changes they did to the elements are pretty ugly in my opinion (especially that toggle switch...)

I'd love a themed rom I think.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The features are fine, but the skin still sucks. Sense 4 is still better based on UX alone. The new wiz features might add value, but they can't hide the ugly of the rest of the skin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering -- what's the source of this "TouchWiz Nature UX" business? As far as the Samsung people we've talked to are concerned, the new TouchWiz is just "TouchWiz". We asked a room full of Samsung execs and PR reps, and that was the name they gave us. No-one mentioned "Nature UX."

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering -- what's the source of this "TouchWiz Nature UX" business? As far as the Samsung people we've talked to are concerned, the new TouchWiz is just "TouchWiz". We asked a room full of Samsung execs and PR reps, and that was the name they gave us. No-one mentioned "Nature UX."

It said it on the screen at the launch when the woman was presenting

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RoDIxHm-5hw

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried a few launchers on my E4GT, even paid for one, but in the end I went back to TW. I don't know, it just feels more "put together right" using TW over the launchers. Something irks me when I turn the phone on and all of a sudden all my shortcuts to apps and folders went bye bye after a reboot. Either way, I wish they would have changed some of the core apps and made them prettier, like the messaging app...nothing changed there, it looks exactly the same. The icons for mail, phone, messaging all look the same as well, slightly disappointing there.

I don't think they will let you switch to the stock ICS launcher. I know it works on the leaked ICS roms for the E4GT but who knows if they will keep that in the final build.

I also like the new lockscreen. Too bad noone bothered making a video about whether the bottom 4 apps can be changed and what it looks like when you want to jump directly into those apps from the lockscreen. Do you swipe the icon upwards or how does that work?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza