No Android Experience-Tempted by the S3

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Full disclosure...been a RIM user since 2006...currently have a 9810 Torch and a 9900 Bold as well as a Playbook.

After watching the S3 review on phonearena, I am sorely tempted to make the switch to Android but am intimidated by the user interface as it is so different from RIM. Has anyone else made the transition? Will the S3 synch with MS Outlook?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: jcp007

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I came to Android from an iPhone and it didn't take long to learn a new OS. My Outlook email works just fine on the One X so I'm sure it'll work fine on the S III. You do need a gmail address if you want to use the Google Play store for apps, movies, music, etc. Your unlimited plan will actually be better because since it's LTE you'll be throttled at 5GB vs 3GB on 3G data plans.

Nashstruck

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I will hit the link in a minute. Does it synch with MS Outlook? Do you have to have a Gmail address?
I forgot to add this earlier.. Also found under that Getting Started with Android link I dropped you.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ackberry-users-guide-android.html#post1482527

Yes you do need a GMail account to activate and use your Android. All you settings, contacts, calendars, apps are synced to the GMail account. But you can import your MS Outlook info into GMail.

I believe there is guides and info contained in those links about syncing up with MS Outlook.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Does it matter that I have a Comcast email account? That is where I receive all my email.

No it doesn't. You can have GMail poll your Comcast account to pull in your email or use Comcast's Xfinity app (free) from the Google Play Store. ( I have Comcast too)

K-9 Email App (free) is also a popular application for combining up your various email accounts into one place.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it matter that I have a Comcast email account? That is where I receive all my email.

Nope. In that case, you would use the phone's stock email app or a 3rd party alternative and set up your Comcast account to view emails. You don't have to use Gmail for email at all, only to run other Google services on the phone.

Google services are nicely integrated in Android though. Gmail, Calendar, Google Talk, Google Voice (not necessary but some like it), etc. all sync and operate together very well. You may find you want to migrate to Gmail for your email and calendar if you make the switch.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to offend since you guys have so nice answering all my newb questions but, on the off chance that I want to migrate back to BB, how difficult is it? I have all these questions because I like to research as much as possible before diving in. I'm actually headed to an AT&T store to try out the Galaxy S2 and the Note.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to offend since you guys have so nice answering all my newb questions but, on the off chance that I want to migrate back to BB, how difficult is it? I have all these questions because I like to research as much as possible before diving in. I'm actually headed to an AT&T store to try out the Galaxy S2 and the Note.

Back up your current Blackberry using the desktop software, then if you want to switch back you can just restore it.

Android apps and stuff won't transfer over anyway.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Just got back from the AT&T store. Having had the chance to play on the One X and the S2, I am much more at ease about getting the S3. Based upon the phonearena review video, I would still go with the S3. I know that this sounds totally ridiculous but I feel like I am cheating on RIM, though not nearly as much as if one were unfaithful to their spouse. I guess it is hard to let go of something that you have been familiar with for so many years. More input is greatly appreciated in terms of things to check in terms of functionality and build quality when the S3 is released by AT&T next month.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you find that many members here also came from BB at one point. I did.. It was a but hard at first giving up what I was so used to but after seeing what Android offers in terms of flexibility and apps (free) & paid you soon forget about the past and look into the future.

Probably the only thing I really missed with BB at first was their email system, but that was also over 2 years ago and much has changed and improved with GMail and everything surrounding Android since then.

Reactions: SM496

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android. I'm sure you'll like it. Even if you dont like the software compared to blackberrys... You'll love the various amazing hardware that comes with Android.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned, is there a checklist of things to test and check when S3 arrives in the store so that from a build quality and performance standpoint to make sure that I have confident that unit purchased does not have any defects or flaws?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing was that based only upon my own research and watching the phonearena video review, I seemed to know more about the S3 than the salesperson although he was very patient with a hands-on crash introduction to the Android environment and seemed to prefer the One X.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You probably do friend. Not bashing the sales reps but from everything I have always seen it appears as they only know what is handed out to them from corporate. If it isn't printed on their weekly sales rep update sheets then chances are they probably don't know much beyond that.

Big fail on the part of the carriers and the stores, as I would want my sales reps to be the most informed so they can answer questions and sell more phones but that isn't the way its done I guess.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there any aspect of the UI and/or hardware of Android phones in general and the S3 missing or need improvement?