To ROOT or not to ROOT....That is the question.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I will never, ever root my phone. Are you kidding? No way.

You just lost some man points!! Cause it takes BOLLAS (balls in spanish, lol) to root and when you do, it becomes like a spiritual awaken!! Yeah I said it!!!

..........:D

Just Flash It!!! ;)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
This phone + rom = heaven.

Think of what you can do with all of that ram when it's not inundated by TW!

To root or not to root is never actually a question; the question is....when, not if, to root? :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope they made a Nandroid backup!

****Remember to always backup***********

I don't believe they even got this far... It flashed via Odin method as we have done in the past but when rebooting recovery was borked and it was stuck on boot.

Soft brick obviously in need of a stock recovery option which isn't available yet :p

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Being my first venture into the Android world after 7 years of BlackBerry usage, I'm going to just enjoy and learn the S3 in stock form for a while, but will be reading from the experts here and learning the hows of rooting as well as the capabilities it will bring me - so that down the road a bit I can make an intelligent decision.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Reasons I rooted my current phone:
1. Screen shots
2. Remove or Freeze Bloat
3. Tether (occasionally)

I have not tried ROMS as this is my business phone and I am hesitant to mess around with ROMing because I rely on my emails (not sure how changing roms affects the email program?).

ICS lets you take screenshots, and disable bloatware. So that leaves tethering as an unknown. Also, there are tweaks that I would like to try that necessitates rooting. With that said, I figure I will root my phone anyway. Will you be rooting and why?

Personally, I would root it according to the instructions you already have, making sure you use TB to back up. However, you can accomplish all three of those things without rooting if you really want to. ICS takes care of 1 and 2 and you can download FoxFi to take care of the tethering. It is free to download from the Play Store.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Being my first venture into the Android world after 7 years of BlackBerry usage, I'm going to just enjoy and learn the S3 in stock form for a while, but will be reading from the experts here and learning the hows of rooting as well as the capabilities it will bring me - so that down the road a bit I can make an intelligent decision.
Probably some of the smartest characters I've seen typed on here in a long time :)

Too many inexperienced users dive into rooting and hacking after doing very little research and before they know it they are lost, caught in the middle of rooting the device and/or bricked and then they stop and ask questions...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I would root it according to the instructions you already have, making sure you use TB to back up. However, you can accomplish all three of those things without rooting if you really want to. ICS takes care of 1 and 2 and you can download FoxFi to take care of the tethering. It is free to download from the Play Store.

I wouldn't attempt any rooting at this point, nothing has been laid out yet for the US variants...

See my post
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...005-root-not-root-question-2.html#post1874147

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Probably some of the smartest characters I've seen typed on here in a long time :)

Too many inexperienced users dive into rooting and hacking after doing very little research and before they know it they are lost, caught in the middle of rooting the device and/or bricked and then they stop and ask questions...

Absolutely, 100% agree. Regardless of your confidence level, you must always, always, always read. Learn as much about the process as possible, and for the love of God Almighty--HAVE AN EXIT STRATEGY. If you screw up X, know how to do Y. If you do Z, know you have a backup ready to roll.

While it may be exhilarating to just "go for it," it's even more exhilarating when you know what you're doing and boot up without complications :).

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

Absolutely, 100% agree. Regardless of your confidence level, you must always, always, always read. Learn as much about the process as possible, and for the love of God Almighty--HAVE AN EXIT STRATEGY. If you screw up X, know how to do Y. If you do Z, know you have a backup ready to roll.

While it may be exhilarating to just "go for it," it's even more exhilarating when you know what you're doing and boot up without complications :).

Hehe, thanks! In addition to being an electrical engineer by degree, I'm also a private pilot, and in a way its a lot like flying. We pilots have a couple sayings that I think could equally apply here:

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots - but there are VERY FEW old, bold pilots!

and (relating primarily to marginal weather)...

"Its a whole lot better to be down here wishing you were up there, then to be up there wishing you were down here!"

:)

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

I have seen this over and over and over..........Unfortunately, we will see it repeated here again.
:confused:

Bullfrog1337

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
troyp.jpg

Root it ! Root it !

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You guys are making it hard for me not to root this baby. But ummm, I dont know why I would root.

All I really know is that you can...
-change the launcher
-install themes
-tether
-clock the phone?

Everything except for clocking can be done without rooting right?
And is there something like installous for jailbroken idevices when you root? Makes everything in the appstore free. Dont really download pirate apps but sometimes its necessary. Lol

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Reasons I rooted my current phone:
1. Screen shots
2. Remove or Freeze Bloat
3. Tether (occasionally)

I have not tried ROMS as this is my business phone and I am hesitant to mess around with ROMing because I rely on my emails (not sure how changing roms affects the email program?).

ICS lets you take screenshots, and disable bloatware. So that leaves tethering as an unknown. Also, there are tweaks that I would like to try that necessitates rooting. With that said, I figure I will root my phone anyway. Will you be rooting and why?

Ad blocking is another reason to root.

I got my first Android device last March when I picked up my TBolt on launch day. Stayed stock for the first month until I felt knowledgeable enough to root. My Galaxy Nexus was stock for just two days. Will definitely be rooting my SGSIII. :D

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
You guys are making it hard for me not to root this baby. But ummm, I dont know why I would root.

-change the launcher
-install themes
-tether
-clock the phone?

And is there something like installous for jailbroken idevices when you root? Makes everything in the appstore free. Dont really download pirate apps but sometimes its necessary. Lol

Personally I would not download Pirated apps..................That is just me though.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

-change the launcher
-install themes
-tether
-clock the phone?

Most full themes will require root. The exception being themes for replacement launchers such as go launcher.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae