Wireless charging... What in the world happened to that?!

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe someone asked this very same question the other day

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I asked Samsung support about it, and they were a bit vague about when. My own suspicion is that Samsung wanted to make sure the same charger would work with the Note 2 as well as the S3, so they decided to hold off until the official Note 2 launch, which is the 24th. We will find out if I am correct on Wednesday...

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Bleh, I'm not super down to drop $90 on an induction system I still have to set my phone on. Seems like a waste of money when this thing comes with a 6 mile long charging cable lol.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Bleh, I'm not super down to drop $90 on an induction system I still have to set my phone on. Seems like a waste of money when this thing comes with a 6 mile long charging cable lol.

Sent From My Rooted/Modded SGSIII - If I've helped you please click 'Thanks'!

same lol.
it seems like madness to me.
fair enough having inductive charging for an electric toothbrush because theres water involved but a phone??

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion wireless charging was one of those "look at this feature!" and they realized it was kind of pointless since you had to place it on something to charge.. So even though there was no cable to charge it still had to be on a pad. I haven't heard about wireless charging in awhile.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Lucky You!!
Let us know what you think!

I don't know I loved it on my palm pre. Once you start using it going back to plugging in a charging cable is like taking a step back in technology.

It's certainly not a must have but it is nice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It's one of those things.... if you don't know.... then you don't know! Sure it might seem kinda pointless, but it's far from pointless. He only reason I haven't modded my SGS3 to work with my 4 Touchstones is the Otterbox.. Those Palm branded Touchstones go for under $5 on Amazon... Well worth the money, Imo.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
doesnt it waste a lot of electricity? (i understand how inductive transfer of electrical current works but surely theres more waste than using a wired charger?)
a normal charger/transformer, has to induct electricity once but this does it twice..

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion wireless charging was one of those "look at this feature!" and they realized it was kind of pointless since you had to place it on something to charge.. So even though there was no cable to charge it still had to be on a pad. I haven't heard about wireless charging in awhile.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

If you've ever owned a Blackberry with charging pins and the dock you'll know. My bold 9700/9780/9900. All of them had it and auto bedside mode once I placed it on the charger, oh how I miss that. You don't have to look for the the usb cord or be afraid of you're plugging it in incorrectly at night, just place it on the pod and it turns the screen into a clock and dims the screen significantly. That is definitely a few of the things RIM did very well with their line up of phones.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

lemonoid

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
When I can charge my phone three to five feet from the charger with no cable, that's Eden I will really bee concerned about wireless charging. otherwise I'm fine using a cable and having the extra money in my pocket

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I had issues with one of my previous phones where the cable pins got damaged.... This may not happen with 2/3 year phone turn over rate...but still this is a positive for wireless charging.

jmcging

May 14, 2010
Visit site
When I can charge my phone three to five feet from the charger with no cable, that's Eden I will really bee concerned about wireless charging. otherwise I'm fine using a cable and having the extra money in my pocket

Having a TouchPad with the inductive charging and having had a Pre with a Touchstone, I can say it's like the change from a manual shift to an automatic. You don't need it but once you've got it you wonder why it didn't happen sooner. And it's great for at work; throwing your phone on a pad without a wire means you can put it down to charge and grab it to run out without thinking.

n8cs

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't want that much electricity radiating in my space. Besides you would end up overcharging much easier.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If you've ever owned a Blackberry with charging pins and the dock you'll know. My bold 9700/9780/9900. All of them had it and auto bedside mode once I placed it on the charger, oh how I miss that. You don't have to look for the the usb cord or be afraid of you're plugging it in incorrectly at night, just place it on the pod and it turns the screen into a clock and dims the screen significantly. That is definitely a few of the things RIM did very well with their line up of phones.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

a dock is fair enough mate... inductive charging is a whole different thing ;)

n8cs

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think all android users and developers should play with a palm pre a little. So many amazing things that should have been game changers. Inductive charging (coupled with everything else) makes me want the S3.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I think all android users and developers should play with a palm pre a little. So many amazing things that should have been game changers. Inductive charging (coupled with everything else) makes me want the S3.

i wish Web Os had hit it off in the UK but the truth is, ive never touched or knowingly saw a Palm device lol. i was probably into Symbian at the time.
ive read a lot of love for the OS though so im sure someones gona buy it and make it their own?

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Being an ex-Pre user, induction charging holds a special place in my heart. I still whip my original Palm Pre out just to play with it. Every time I see one of my 3 induction charger bases for it, I just wish someone would make a new phone use them out of the box. I LOVE the idea!

My idea of a "smart" induction charger would be a combo of NFC and induction charger. The charger pad would sit idle, drawing absolute minimum power until an NFC/Induction capable phone was put on it. The phone would send a message to the pad via NFC to turn on the charger, which it then starts to charge the phone. Every 60 seconds or so, the pad would poll the NFC connection to make sure the phone is still there, if it is, keep charging. If the phone isn't found, go to back to sleep.

The phone would also have the ability to send a message via NFC to say that its fully charged and put the pad into a trickle charge mode (but still poll for no phone every so often).

In addition, the charging pad could be programmed just like any other NFC tag so you can make one pad be the "bed side" pad and another be the "office desk" pad. This would allow you to make your phone react to each pad in a unique way, like turning on the screen to a minimum brightness with a clock on it for the bed side.

If someone was to make this, you better believe I would buy it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith