PenTile Display on the Galaxy S?

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
So iv'e tried to find the answer to this, and I did a search on this site, but I haven't been able to find anything one way or the other. Is the S-AMOLED display a PenTile matrix like the Nexus One or is it "normal"?

This is what PenTile is, for those who don't know: Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

I can't really tell from the pictures that engadget took. The iPhone display is obviously sharper, but I'm not sure if the "dottiness" of the GS display is due to being a PenTile or just having a lower resolution. iPhone 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S: displays at full brightness - Engadget Galleries

DisplayGeek

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
So iv'e tried to find the answer to this, and I did a search on this site, but I haven't been able to find anything one way or the other. Is the S-AMOLED display a PenTile matrix like the Nexus One or is it "normal"?

This is what PenTile is, for those who don't know: Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

That article is dead wrong. :mad: Read about what PenTile really is at the nouvoyance website:

http://www.nouvoyance.com/files/pdf...suring Display Resolution RGB L6 12-17-07.pdf

:cool:

PopsGG

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes the Galaxy S has PenTile. What I don't understand is why Samsung brags about it. PenTile is not an improvement in anyway when it comes to visual quality. I understand its cheaper to produce and draws less power, but I think those are 2 attributes people would gladly give up for visual quality.

Its passable, PenTile doesnt make the display "bad". If they did AMOLED without PenTile, it would be the best display hands down over LCD.