Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does original Galaxy S has gyroscope or six-axis accelerometer?

I guess all US versions of the phone have six-axis accelerometer. I havent read about this being present in original Galaxy S (European version). Can anyone confirm??

I read somewhere earlier today that it has 6 axis. Is that confirmation enough for you or are you looking for a link?

Note: Not sarcasm.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by TreyDaPrince View Post
    I read somewhere earlier today that it has 6 axis. Is that confirmation enough for you or are you looking for a link?

Note: Not sarcasm.
    No I dont need a link. I just needed some confirmation.

BTW, one more question, how is six-axis different than a gyroscope or they are one and same thing??

ROM
    Stock

one in the same. Typical G-sensor is 3-Axis, but the one in the Samsung is 6-Axis.

Normally, you have a 3-Axis accelerometer measuring linear acceleration (surprise! ) in the three dimensions. A 6-axis accelerometer does not measure linear acceleration in six dimensions, that would be very hard. Instead the three "extra" accelerometers gives the angular acceleration which in the end means that you can measure acceleration in the 6 degrees of freedom a normal phone haves. I think the name 6-axis accelerometer is very confusing.

A gyroscope measures the angular SPEED, not acceleration, so combining a 3-axis gyroscope with a 3-axis accelerometer is not the same as a 6-axis accelerometer. However, the difference should be quite small for the end user.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

As a pilot, all this technical talk is confusing the hell out of me. I might start questioning my instruments.

Glad to see they have a 6-axis gyro (ehhh?) and hope we as the end user see some benefit to it.
    </awesome>

Pilot, meet Air Traffic Controller. =)

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Quote Originally Posted by TreyDaPrince View Post
    Pilot, meet Air Traffic Controller. =)
    I am a newbie, still training. But am still one at heart. You're the reason I prefer controlled airports to uncontrolled.
    </awesome>

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yourdogsdead View Post
    I am a newbie, still training. But am still one at heart. You're the reason I prefer controlled airports to uncontrolled.
    I bet he is going to just be sitting around on his Epic a month from now, so don't trust him too much

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Only US has Gyro from what I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by taylormah View Post
    I guess all US versions of the phone have six-axis accelerometer. I havent read about this being present in original Galaxy S (European version). Can anyone confirm??
    No, I think it was this website but it's down right now. http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/m...=specification

or this one under specs. http://galaxys.samsungmobile.com/

First time I heard of gyro was iphone, because Samsung never mentioned six-axis gyroscope in their Euro/Asia Galaxy S till AT&T announced their Galaxy S.
    Last edited by jhnstn00; 07-10-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added 2nd link
    Treo 750 WM6/6.1/6.5 > Palm Pre Plus > Samsung Captivate