1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default NOOB QUESTION!

Hey all,

I'm an iPhone 3G user (BOO!) and am contemplating between the Galaxy S and iPhone 4. One of the big selling points for me is the expandability potential of the galaxy but that raises a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

1) Is the Galaxy compatible with the Micro SCXC standard that allows cards up to 2TB?

2) Can one install android applications to the removable card or can it only be to the internal memory?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Dave from Canada.

1) I think android only recognizes up to 32gb cards.

2) right now galaxy s phones run android 2.1 which doesn't support infusing apps to the sd card. The 2.2 version does.

Global Posts
    3,815 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    1) I think android only recognizes up to 32gb cards.

2) right now galaxy s phones run android 2.1 which doesn't support infusing apps to the sd card. The 2.2 version does.
    To further answer:
    1) No, not aware of a phone that does currently
    2) You can on 2.1 with a custom ROM and apps2sd installed on it. Not sure why you would want to, 8-16Gb is more storage than you could possibly imagine for apps. 2.2 supports this feature natively, but app developers have to code the app to allow it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by rufflez View Post
    To further answer:
    1) No, not aware of a phone that does currently
    2) You can on 2.1 with a custom ROM and apps2sd installed on it. Not sure why you would want to, 8-16Gb is more storage than you could possibly imagine for apps. 2.2 supports this feature natively, but app developers have to code the app to allow it.
    Thanks for the feedback guys...@ Rufflez, on my iPhone I have about 5GB of apps installed...Some of the good games take up huge space!
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    N/A

I thought the 32gb limit was because there was nothing with more storage capacity to prove otherwise? Is it capped at 32gb or is there just nothing else to test with it?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

For all intents and purposes that is true. It is expected, however, that SDHC became a microSD standard, SDXC will as well.

1. allow 2 TB. I want what ever your smoking.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclipse 1.3

this photo shows what appears to be an optical trackpad. a feature that must be present if i buy and android device. i want a galaxy S phone (for the hummingbird cpu) but the trackpad is a must and none of the phones availible from US carriers have the trackpad. CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!?

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    ROM
    Aokp - Franco.kernel

Quote Originally Posted by meany105 View Post

this photo shows what appears to be an optical trackpad.
    Its just the home button. No trackpad.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meany105 View Post

this photo shows what appears to be an optical trackpad. a feature that must be present if i buy and android device. i want a galaxy S phone (for the hummingbird cpu) but the trackpad is a must and none of the phones availible from US carriers have the trackpad. CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!?
    Can't imagine why you would actually need the touch pad. I came from the Bold 9700 which has the touch pad and I don't miss it at all. The S series have a great touch screen so it isn't necessary.
    Plus if, when using Swype, you swipe from the tips icon (bottom left) too the SYM key it brings up an excellent set of cursor movement keys so you can move the cursor around as much as you want and too small increments - I really don't use this often, mainly when editing and wanting to copy text etc.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
    I am back HOME on the epic Nexus 5!!

The screens are so flawless that you don't NEED a trackpad. They're much better without it.

(Samsung Fascinate)