Samsung Kies 2.0 available!

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I see it when I go to Samsung site but if I have the existing 1.5x kies check for updates. It says I have the latest version. dahhhh, can't rely on that now. I am downloading it. Its not as big as the previous version and it will be interesting to see if it updates the existing install or I may have to manually remove it first.

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Oh oh, it detected and removed the previous version itself. The new version is knowhere near the same as previous application. No Contacts or other widgets on the bottom and appears to only be looking at/for media. I did not have my phone connect but it shouldn't be necessary. I saw a Free Cybervoice app but the phone I have is not one I can select to download load it.

I'll have to look into it further or see what others find out about this.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the 1.5 ver. In the 2.0 version there is no ability ti manage your notes and contacts and calendar you cant keep them from syncing automatically.

Sent from my GT-I9000M

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I am still getting a handle on the software. I did not think the other version sync'd anyway nor does this. You read from Mobile into Kies or from PC, then you save to one and/or the other. That's not syncing in my opinion. Palm desktop did true syncing for over 10 years. What every you changed on either sided got updated when you sync'd.

As for 2.0 the Contacts definitely appears as does other areas of multimedia after you connect to the Galaxy. the selections appear much like it does in the ITunes interface and the device shows there the same way. It does handle managing and importing data much better (VCF files anyway). Cleaning them up on the PC is not to bad. I kept a backup since I am not certain if its merging correctly the one time did it. It appears to be a full re-write of the software. Too bad there is no manual for it.

HTC has no such software and a good PC Desktop PIM is very important to me having used one for 15 years or more from the 1st Palm PDA 128k and I still use it all be it updated version of the software but the data started way back then. Hopefully it will improve in time. I will have to look to see the calendar etc is there as well.

PS: Thanks for your comment, I am primarily on the Telus Fascinate thread now but posted here as well since this should be the same for others as well.

tripplec

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Kies 2.0 is a joke!

Kies 1.5 won't tell you 2.0 is available, not for me too. I thought 2.0 would be better, but it's not.
Yes, I checked that as well a while back. I saw it listed at Samsung but the existing install did not detect and update was available. Probably because is not an update so much as an entirely difference build. The look is pretty bland but works much better for building contacts data and importing which I am not finished with from my Old Palm Treo.

A bit surprising. I may call support and see what the scoop on this is later.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc