Nike advert makes phone crash, is this a virus?

A

AC Question

Nike advert makes phone crash

When in Internet on my Samsung Galaxy S2, a Nike pop up advert stops me being able to do anything other than turn off and restart my phone. It doesn't seem to be related to a specific webpage or app and I have blocked pop ups in my settings. Is this a virus? How can I check? And how can I stop it happening?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nike advert makes phone crash

Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried different browsers? Does it look like a video ad?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I use Chrome, but it's pretty big, so your phone might not have enough space for it. Dolphin is another good one.

Try also going to the App Manager, select Internet, and Clear Cache/Clear Data. Now see if the problem persists.

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I have cleared cache and am using Chrome. Same thing happened within minutes. It is a video which I can click to play... it says 'every action has a crowd reaction, all for the game'. I haven't played the video. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, seems to be working so far. Is it just a pop up ad that's in my data then? Is there a way of avoiding it happening in the future?

On another note, all my text messages have just disappeared/been deleted. I presume this isn't related? Any advice on this? Thanks so much for all your help!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Which text messaging app are you using?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Clearing the Cache/Data for Chrome should do nothing to the Messaging app. Did you happen to Clear Data from the Messaging app as well?

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure! Unless when in the messenger app it's easy to delete all threads??
On another note the video advert is back - a Llyods bank one now. Have cleared data in Chrome again. Are there any other solutions? Is this a virus??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would seem odd for malware to advertise relatively normal companies like Nike or Lloyd's. I'd expect ads for some seedy app or ripoff game from some offshore software developer.

Try going to your Chrome browser on your desktop and clear all of the browsing data there (browsing history, cookies, everything--and select "From the Beginning of Time" to make sure you clear all of it out). Since the mobile Chrome syncs with your desktop Chrome (actually, it's syncing with your Chrome data in your Google account in the cloud), perhaps the same data keeps syncing back and causing this popup ad to appear.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad