Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    Hey guys.

    1.) I'm wondering where I can buy a good USB/Wall charger for the S3? I've looked at a number of local stores. Future Shop, London Drugs, The Source.
    None of them carry a charger like the one that shipped with the S3. (Wall plug with a detachable USB cable.) I also like the length of the cord.

    Anyone know where I could find a good charger locally or what your recommendations would be if getting one online? Someone mentioned something about "rapid charge" on the US S3 forums. Also why does the wall plug charge the S3 quicker than a USB port?

    2.) Also I notice when texting / writing - sometimes I'll see lines across the screen above where I'm texting. It'll just be a flash of lines about an inch thick which only stay on the screen for about a second.
    This is a little concerning for me as this phone is about a month old. I also notice distortion on the screen / lines in these two games I've downloaded. - "SuperLaser" and "iFighter 1945" A friend of mine in the UK said his model doesn't do that. A local friend said hers does do that in these games. So I'm wondering if It's just our model.....If anyone in Canada feels like testing that out I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    693 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by FennecTheFox View Post
    Hey guys.

    1.) I'm wondering where I can buy a good USB/Wall charger for the S3? I've looked at a number of local stores. Future Shop, London Drugs, The Source.
    None of them carry a charger like the one that shipped with the S3. (Wall plug with a detachable USB cable.) I also like the length of the cord.

    Anyone know where I could find a good charger locally or what your recommendations would be if getting one online? Someone mentioned something about "rapid charge" on the US S3 forums. Also why does the wall plug charge the S3 quicker than a USB port?
    To answer the first part of your question. Here is a link to the Rapid Charger specifically for your S3
    Samsung Micro-USB 1A Rapid Travel Charger - Android Chargers & Cables

    Second part. USB Ports only have SO much power they can provide to charge, hence way slower than what an electrical outlet can produce.

    Quote Originally Posted by FennecTheFox View Post

    2.) Also I notice when texting / writing - sometimes I'll see lines across the screen above where I'm texting. It'll just be a flash of lines about an inch thick which only stay on the screen for about a second.
    This is a little concerning for me as this phone is about a month old. I also notice distortion on the screen / lines in these two games I've downloaded. - "SuperLaser" and "iFighter 1945" A friend of mine in the UK said his model doesn't do that. A local friend said hers does do that in these games. So I'm wondering if It's just our model.....If anyone in Canada feels like testing that out I'd appreciate it..
    I probably have the same model as you SGH-I747M Running JellyBean 4.1.1
    I have never had this issue. I would start looking into your apps that are running in the background and shut them down one by one until you determine the culprit. If it still happens when all apps are not running that you have downloaded, then I would look at warranty repair. That is NOT normal.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    bassmig's Avatar

    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    1) the charger you can get from Amazon/eBay. There are a few threads in the general S3 section in regards to them. Main thing is to not get the iPhone ones since they probably will only charge at lower rate of charging.

    2) It is possible to swipe instead of pressing all keys on your keyboard. Just swipe your finger around in a text. I have tried Super Laser and the top 1/6th of the screen seems to be a blurry mess. It looks like the ad on top is compressed and showing up smaller than it is supposed to.

    here is a screenshot of the game.



    https://www.dropbox.com/s/djudxs3p2w...2011.43.13.png
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    To answer the first part of your question. Here is a link to the Rapid Charger specifically for your S3
    Samsung Micro-USB 1A Rapid Travel Charger - Android Chargers & Cables

    Second part. USB Ports only have SO much power they can provide to charge, hence way slower than what an electrical outlet can produce.



    I probably have the same model as you SGH-I747M Running JellyBean 4.1.1
    I have never had this issue. I would start looking into your apps that are running in the background and shut them down one by one until you determine the culprit. If it still happens when all apps are not running that you have downloaded, then I would look at warranty repair. That is NOT normal.
    Pretty sure It's not an app issue as I noticed the screen glitch issues during the first week when I didn't even have any apps downloaded.
    To shut down the apps running I just press and hold the home button - scroll through the list and swipe the apps off - that closes them?

    Does that rapid charger charge the S3 faster than the wall charger that came with the S3?

    Also are there higher mAh batteries for the S3?
  5. #5  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    693 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by FennecTheFox View Post

    Does that rapid charger charge the S3 faster than the wall charger that came with the S3?

    Also are there higher mAh batteries for the S3?
    Yes the rapid charger is 1 Amp, it would charge your S3 at just about double the typical wall charger that came with the phone.

    As for higher mAh, yews indeed there are. There are MANY companies that sell them. So far I have seen that you can get up to 2900 mAh WITHOUT having to get a different back plate due to an increased thickness in the battery. Above that say 3400 to 4500 mAh. They are thicker and require a new battery back plate which if you are buying the battery, most will come with the back plate. Just an example below.

    Samsung Galaxy S3 4500mAh Extended Life Battery w/ NFC

    Unfortunately the above company doesn't sell to Canada. So I suggest if you are looking for a higher mAH battery check Ebay. I just ordered 3 x 2900 mAh batteries with a wall charger and paid 15.00 after tax and shipping. Here is a link

    3 x 2900mAh Battery USB Charger for Samsung Galaxy s 3 III I535 L710 T999 I9300 | eBay

    If you aren't into that link above, I would say just google it and I am sure you will get a bunch of hits.
    Hope that helps
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    To answer the first part of your question. Here is a link to the Rapid Charger specifically for your S3
    Samsung Micro-USB 1A Rapid Travel Charger - Android Chargers & Cables

    Second part. USB Ports only have SO much power they can provide to charge, hence way slower than what an electrical outlet can produce.



    I probably have the same model as you SGH-I747M Running JellyBean 4.1.1
    I have never had this issue. I would start looking into your apps that are running in the background and shut them down one by one until you determine the culprit. If it still happens when all apps are not running that you have downloaded, then I would look at warranty repair. That is NOT normal.
    Hmm, I returned the S3 to Fido and got them to replace it with another S3. The screen glitch issue is still there..... So I don't think It's the hardware....
    I'm wondering if it could be related to the SIM card....Thoughts?

    On another note how do I disable "Data Roaming" "You have lost data connectivity because..." Really annoying notification that pops up all the time for me. I checked Google and it seems the steps to resolve the issue are dated back from 2011 and Android has been updated since then. Even then people still reported that the steps didn't work all the time.

    Also I notice when using the stock web browser or even Dolphin browser and I'm trying to scroll through web pages sometimes flipping up and down will zoom into the web page. WTF is this ? I checked Dolphin browser FAQ but couldn't find a way to disable if It's a feature.
    Also, how do I stop the browser from entering .com after every damn word I type into the URL bar?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    Anyone?
  8. #8  
    bassmig's Avatar

    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

    Default Re: USB/Wall Charger / Screen Issue

    There is a data roaming option if you go to settings then Data Usage option and hit the menu button. Not sure if this will do what you want it to.

    on the stock browser if you scroll up or down on the edges of the screen it does act as a zoom in or out. Not sure about Dolphin. Opera doesn't do it.

Similar Threads

  1. USB car charger issue
    By mtbvert in forum ASUS EeePad Transformer Prime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 01:37 PM
  3. Reuse of Mini-USB Wall Chargers
    By masterdebator in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 05:26 PM
  4. Epic detects USB when connected to wall charger
    By cdjh in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM
  5. Droid Wall Charger $1.99 on Amazon
    By DougFNJ in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Posting Permissions