Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mhinc
  • 2 Post By crester
  • 2 Post By crester
  • 1 Post By mhinc
  • 1 Post By Endo R
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Endo R's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Defective Screen on GS3

    So my screen cracked for the second time. This time though, it was not my fault.
    The first time it cracked, I was sitting at the movie theater and it fell out of my sweatpants pocket.
    I've never seen a phone that was this fragile. I called Samsung and they were really nice about it and fixed it.
    So a few weeks go by and i receive the phone back from the service center. The next day, as I'm walking back to my house, I notice something in the corner of the screen.
    A CRACK?!?!?! But how? I didn't drop it. I didn't have anything in the same pocket as the phone. I didn't do anything physically demanding that would have squished the phone in my pocket.
    I immediately call Samsung and explain to them what happened. The first guy says there is nothing they could do about it because I already had a free repair, but then I ask to speak to the supervisor and he emailed me a shipping label and told me that if the phone was found to be physically damaged and not a defective screen then I would have to pay for it. I was fine with that. I didn't want any shipping damages to be blamed on me so i took some pictures of the phone. I didn't send the phone back right away because I didn't have another phone I could use. So about two months go by and one of my friends lend me his old phone. I send in the GS3 and in about a week I get an email saying I need to pay $300 to get my screen fixed or $30 for them to return my phone in it's current condition. I call Samsung and ask them what happened. I got the issue escalated all the way to Executive Customer Relations (ECR) and spoke to a guy named Julio. He was the most useless person in customer service that I have talked to in my entire life. He didn't want to look at the pictures I had taken of the phone and kept saying that any crack, no matter what is physical damage. I was on the phone with him for about two hours and got nowhere. I called back again and again and every agent would be unwilling to help me because of the notes they were reading. I finally got through to someone who was willing to look at the pictures. He gave me an email and I sent them in that night. A day later I call them again to see what's going on. They tell me that there's nothing they could do because it's physical damage even though noone actually looked at the pictures. I end up calling a few times and someone from the ECR team said they would escalate it and I'd get a call back sometime this week.
    I will keep this post updated on what happens but so far I've spent maybe 6 hours on the phone with Samsung and only two or three people actually tried to help me. The others simply didn't give a sh*t.

    I love the phone but I wouldn't buy another Samsung product unless they don't fix their customer service and quality control. If it were my fault, I'd pay the $300 and get it fixed but take a look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p4jzqtq5u1rxr07/hDkGGnEN2X#/
  2. #2  
    crester's Avatar

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    They're probably having a hard time believing it because it happened to you more than once. Freak defects tend to be a rare occurence... so having it happen to the same person multiple times probably set off their radar.
  3. #3  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Seriously? How about you get a frickin' case for it if you are going to carry it around in your SWEAT PANTS pocket. Try an Otterbox or something, it's not Samsungs fault you have decided to not protect your investment, nor is it their fault you were careless and your phone dropped. You are lucky they fixed it free the first time that is more than I would ever expect from any company! I can't believe you are sitting here complaining to us after they fixed your phone free for something caused by your own stupidity!
    The fact you say " If it were my fault, I'd pay the $300 and get it fixed but take a look at the pictures and judge for yourself." Makes me laugh! IT WAS YOUR FAULT!
    Give your head a shake buddy! You SHOULD have had to pay the first time, but you didn't! They were nice enough at Samsung to fix it. Don't bother keeping us updated, you don't deserve another freebie! I agree with Samsung 100%
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Endo R's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Why so mad bro?
    First off, I've never bought a case for any of my phones because I don't do anything extreme with them. I take really good care of my phones and don't see the need to get a bulky case like the otterbox that you suggested. How does my phone slipping out of my pants pocket have anything to do with me being careless? Have you heard of accidents? happens bud. BUT it shouldn't have cracked from a drop less than a foot.
    When I went to the Apple Store with my previous iPhone (speaker stopped working), I saw them replacing many customer's cracked screens over the counter. They could have told everyone to off but they didn't because they stand behind their products. (at least from what I have seen)

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    IT WAS YOUR FAULT!
    My fault that Samsung built fragile screens? I have seen iPhones survive higher drops.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    you don't deserve another freebie!
    What makes you say this? Let's say I had paid for the first repair and then this happened. Would it still be fair for me to pay a second time just because i got stuck with a ty screen? If you're telling me those pictures look like i dropped the phone then you need to get your eyes checked. Don't be mad that I didn't pay for the first screen. It's not like you paid it for me. Nothing came out of your pocket. Did it?

    I don't get why your're being such a *****. You're getting upset for no reason bro. Relax. I think you got bullied a lot as a child. Maybe that's why you're acting like a big shot. Maybe you just need some friends that are nice to you. Maybe we should be friends. We can hang out and hold hands. We could be buddies for life. PM me if you want to take me up on my offer.
  5. #5  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    You were careless you had your phone in your sweat pants pocket, and it fell onto the concrete floor. You are lucky they even fixed it the first time period.
    You really think all those people at the iStore were getting free replacement screens? Apple is the first company that will gouge you for all you have to make a profit.
    If you are so against case even something basic so your phone is safe from a drop like you had, then go back to your precious iphone and stop bad mouthing Samsung
    for your mistake in the first place!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Oh Samsung sucks!!!! unfortunately, I bought my husband a galaxy for Christmas. Immediately it began having problems with the battery. It would just shut off by itself and to turn it back on he would have to take out the battery and put it back. I brought it back to the store where I bought it they said because I didn't have the box they cant do anything I would have to call Samsung. Ok fine, I call after getting the run around the guy did a reset troubleshoot with me and he saw for himself the phone was messed up so he confirmed they will give me a new one, but I have to pay 200. What no way I just paid 400 for this phone. Very nasty customer service.. I understand what your going through.

    Sent from my GALAXY S3
  7. #7  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by marie727 View Post
    Oh Samsung sucks!!!! unfortunately, I bought my husband a galaxy for Christmas. Immediately it began having problems with the battery. It would just shut off by itself and to turn it back on he would have to take out the battery and put it back. I brought it back to the store where I bought it they said because I didn't have the box they cant do anything I would have to call Samsung. Ok fine, I call after getting the run around the guy did a reset troubleshoot with me and he saw for himself the phone was messed up so he confirmed they will give me a new one, but I have to pay 200. What no way I just paid 400 for this phone. Very nasty customer service.. I understand what your going through.

    Sent from my GALAXY S3
    Funny how you just went on a rant about your husbands defective Samsung S3, yet your quote states "Sent from my GALAXY S3"
    Last edited by mhinc; 02-11-2013 at 09:32 AM.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
    crester likes this.
  8. #8  
    crester's Avatar

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by marie727 View Post
    Oh Samsung sucks!!!! unfortunately, I bought my husband a galaxy for Christmas. Immediately it began having problems with the battery. It would just shut off by itself and to turn it back on he would have to take out the battery and put it back. I brought it back to the store where I bought it they said because I didn't have the box they cant do anything I would have to call Samsung. Ok fine, I call after getting the run around the guy did a reset troubleshoot with me and he saw for himself the phone was messed up so he confirmed they will give me a new one, but I have to pay 200. What no way I just paid 400 for this phone. Very nasty customer service.. I understand what your going through.

    Sent from my GALAXY S3
    Samsung doesn't suck... don't be an *****. If you don't like them... don't buy their products.
    mhinc and jomacral like this.
  9. #9  
    crester's Avatar

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Endo R... regardless of how you "think" you treat your phones... the bottom line is you are doing something to break them. You said you see Apple replacing screens... and Samsung replaced yours the first time. How many times should Samsung pay for your carelessness? Just buy a damn case already. They aren't all bulky... and some just cost a few dollars.

    I have a really thin Belkin gel case on mine... and most people can't even tell that I have a case on my phone. Yet I've dropped my phone on a concrete sidewalk from waist height... and absolutely nothing happened to that phone just because of those few milimetres of rubber padding provided by the case.
    mhinc and jomacral like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Endo R's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    Apple is the first company that will gouge you for all you have to make a profit.
    Lets not talk about apple making profit because it cost me the same amount to get the GS3.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    You were careless you had your phone in your sweat pants pocket
    So I'm supposed to hold it in my hands at all times? It was in my pocket where 99% of people who have phones put them.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    You really think all those people at the iStore were getting free replacement screens?
    No they weren't getting replacement screens, they were getting replacement phones. I saw it several times.

    Quote Originally Posted by mhinc View Post
    If you are so against case even something basic so your phone is safe from a drop like you had, then go back to your precious iphone and stop bad mouthing Samsung for your mistake in the first place!
    I never had a case for my phones so that's why i didn't think i needed one for this phone. CLEARLY i was wrong. I will get a thin case like crester suggested. BUT can you explain to me how a case would have stopped the second crack? You can see from the pictures that it wasn't caused by a drop

    Im not asking for everyone's opinion regarding if i should have gotten the first repair for free. Im asking if I should have to pay for the second repair because of a crack due to material quality and no fault of my own.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Endo R's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    How many times should Samsung pay for your carelessness?
    This time. the screen didn't crack because I was being careless. I didn't drop it or anything as you can see in the pictures.
  12. #12  
    crester's Avatar

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Consider it karmic balance then.
  13. #13  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by Endo R View Post
    BUT can you explain to me how a case would have stopped the second crack?
    Listen I am really sick of listening to your childish banter. And that is EXACTLY what it is. I am not even going to grace you with a reply to the majority of your statements above. What I will tell you is THE FIRST time you carelessly dropped your phone WITHOUT a case on it, WAS your fault. And if you would have had even a cheap gel case on it in the first place, you wouldn't have ever had this issue in the first place, hence a screen replacement wouldn't have been necessary, HENCE you wouldn't have ever had the second screen crack. That is THAT! Quit whining and suck it up! iPhones are proprietary pieces of over priced non expandable junk, and if those people were getting replacement phones it was under warranty for one of the MANY defects that Apple products have. If you want to continue to bash Samsung, even after they did you a solid for your stupidity and carelessness, and praise iPhone. Then maybe you should just sell your G3 and go back to your amazing iPhone so we don't have to listen to you whine!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
    jomacral likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Endo R's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    I don't see how i'm being childish by sharing my experiences and opinions about Samsung.
    Samsung is replacing my screen free of charge and I'm happy with that. Even they understand it wasn't my fault.
    As I stated earlier, I love this phone but the quality could should be much better.
    Before the iPhone I had a BlackBerry and I loved it. I'm thinking the Z10 for my next phone. Heard a lot of great things about it. I also heard the build quality is much better than the GS3.
  15. #15  
    mhinc's Avatar

    Posts
    692 Posts
    Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by Endo R View Post
    I don't see how i'm being childish by sharing my experiences and opinions about Samsung.
    Samsung is replacing my screen free of charge and I'm happy with that. Even they understand it wasn't my fault.
    As I stated earlier, I love this phone but the quality could should be much better.
    Before the iPhone I had a BlackBerry and I loved it. I'm thinking the Z10 for my next phone. Heard a lot of great things about it. I also heard the build quality is much better than the GS3.
    GET A CASE! GET A CASE! GET A CASE! What don't you understand! You dropped your phone, it was your fault, get a frickin case!
    Simple!
    And seriously stop going on about other phones, I used to have a Blackberry as well, but I now have an S3 and I love it, I have an Otterbox on it, and it`s fantastic! And if I drop it, it`s protected. I am not stupid enough to care it around in a pair of sweatpants without a case!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Endo R's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Defective Screen on GS3

    Quote Originally Posted by Endo R View Post
    I never had a case for my phones so that's why i didn't think i needed one for this phone. CLEARLY i was wrong. I will get a thin case like crester suggested.
    already on the to do list
    jomacral likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Keep Screen On During Charging
    By jayinla#AC in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
  2. Do we know what material is the screen on the 4g?
    By ohthebaby in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
  3. Lock Screen on Incredible
    By skagen in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
  4. active screen on call
    By BurrDroid in forum Samsung Moment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 08:00 PM
  5. unlock screen on the hero?
    By maddmatt02 in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Posting Permissions