(facebook) messenger sometimes can't send pictures

Deviant112

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Sometimes on my S3 I can't send pictures with messenger(the app used to message your facebook friends). It seems completely random but most of the time I can't send them.

When the error happens there is a little red exclamation mark that comes up beside the picture. If I click it it comes up with a message that says "Your message was not sent." and it gives me 3 options to Try again, delete or cancel. If I click try again, it usually doesn't go through.

This happens when i'm on wifi or on LTE

S3
Android v 4.1.1
Messenger v 2.3.1

Louispg

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Wow ! Sorry I can't help, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

Also on my Telus Galaxy S3.

I usually reboot the phone, then re-send and 95% of the time it will work. But then I'd try to send a second picture, and BAM "Your message was not sent" once again.

I've had this problem for a long time now, so not a "recent update" problem.
Can fail or work over Wi-Fi, 3G or LTE.
I've put my pictures on lowest possible quality and I still have issues.

Louispg

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok... so I did a full factory reset, installed Facebook only right after all the system's updates, tried and I still have the same bug.

First message with picture goes without any problem.
Second fails. Sends after a restart.

Very annoying.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

Sometimes on my S3 I can't send pictures with messenger(the app used to message your facebook friends). It seems completely random but most of the time I can't send them.

When the error happens there is a little red exclamation mark that comes up beside the picture. If I click it it comes up with a message that says "Your message was not sent." and it gives me 3 options to Try again, delete or cancel. If I click try again, it usually doesn't go through.

This happens when i'm on wifi or on LTE

S3
Android v 4.1.1
Messenger v 2.3.1

Who is your provider?

cody0851

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem on my s3 through verizon. I rebooted the phone and it worked once so far, but not sure how long that will last.

I'm just using the Facebook app, not the Facebook messenger app.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
If you are in a weak signal area it is just probably timing out. To send Pictures/Vid you need a good quality signal for it to send. If you drop down to 2G/Edge it will not send.

Louispg

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I agreee with the weak signal theory.

Thing is, this also occurs on Wi-Fi. Try to send once a first picture, goes no problem. Try a second pic, fails. Reboot, retry, works ! Try a second picture, fail. Rince and repeat.
Same with 4G/LTE.

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Every time I try to send a picture from the native Gallery or QuickPic gallery using the "share" button, I get the red exclamation point with the message "Your message could not be sent"

However, I have no problems sending pictures from within the messenger app using the "+" button next to the chatbox at the bottom.

The problem used to appear only once in a while but now it happens with every picture I try to send from the Gallery. It's been happening to me consistently for the last couple of days.

And it has nothing to do with the signal. It has been happening whether I am on 4G/LTE or Wi-Fi.

And it is not device specific either. I tried it on my Verizon Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Nexus and also on Nexus 7. Same results.

dtcmusic

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
The solution for me was to uninstall the new Facebook messenger app with the bubble heads and just use the facebook app instead. Messenger used to work until the update

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this as well... I was trying to send my friend a picture thru FB Messenger and it didn't work. What I noticed is... if I sent the picture from the phone's Gallery program... the picture wouldn't go thru. HOWEVER... if I opened the Facebook Messenger app and then chose the same picture... you'd see the picture load... and then it would send okay.

So if you are having trouble sending a picture... open the Facebook Messenger app and send it thru there.

Roboj1m

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Every time I try to send a picture from the native Gallery or QuickPic gallery using the "share" button, I get the red exclamation point with the message "Your message could not be sent"

However, I have no problems sending pictures from within the messenger app using the "+" button next to the chatbox at the bottom.

The problem used to appear only once in a while but now it happens with every picture I try to send from the Gallery. It's been happening to me consistently for the last couple of days.

And it has nothing to do with the signal. It has been happening whether I am on 4G/LTE or Wi-Fi.

And it is not device specific either. I tried it on my Verizon Galaxy Note II, Galaxy Nexus and also on Nexus 7. Same results.

Confirmed. I can sent *one* picture after a reboot using Android's Share framework.
Reboot allows you to send one more.
However, using the "+" button in the app itself works.
Bug in messenger app, not limited to Samsung, I have a stock Nexus 4.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm