Charged 5 day old S3 to 100%, set to idle before bed. When I woke up it was at 88%

DirtyHairy

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Any idea why this could be happening, is this normal and I'm just not used to it yet? One thing I noticed (although it is small in this instance) was the Word Splosion (the game) was still in my list of running apps in the Application Manager even though I had closed in by holding down the home button and swiping it. Also, my RAM usage is usually sitting around 800MB-1+GB. Is that normal?

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Any idea why this could be happening, is this normal and I'm just not used to it yet? One thing I noticed (although it is small in this instance) was the Word Splosion (the game) was still in my list of running apps in the Application Manager even though I had closed in by holding down the home button and swiping it. Also, my RAM usage is usually sitting around 800MB-1+GB. Is that normal?

Any help or advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

The swiping doesn't always close it. It should, but it doesn't. I would try to see if there is a menu option to exit the app or make sure you hit back on the main screen of the app. Most apps when you do that action, should ask 'Are you sure you want to exit?'.

The RAM usage is supposed to be as full as possible. It helps load apps faster. However, the app constantly running didn't help matters in this case.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So you set your phone down before bed and it was at 100% and when you woke up it was at 88%, I find that to be quite good (if you had the device one for roughly 8 hours and it only went down by 12%. The S3 is a power hungry device with a whack of radios that still require power even when the device is sitting doing nothing.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Swiping programs from your screen doesn't close them. That's just a list of recently used apps... and by swiping you are just removing them from the list. To make sure you close all apps... you need to goto the application manager.

JSYNC

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Your phone perhaps was updating applicatilns while you were sleeping, if you phone wasn't on flight mode the antennas will still be searching and pulling signals.

Posted via Android Central App

AndroidCanuck

May 31, 2013
Visit site
So you set your phone down before bed and it was at 100% and when you woke up it was at 88%, I find that to be quite good (if you had the device one for roughly 8 hours and it only went down by 12%. The S3 is a power hungry device with a whack of radios that still require power even when the device is sitting doing nothing.

The S3 is only as power hungry as you configure it to operate. Go through and turn off all non-essential notifications (eg. I don't care about emails using LED & thus have that turned off). Enable CPU Power saving, Screen power saving, & Turn off haptic feedback.

The S3 can easily get less than 1% battery drain per hour during idle time after appropriate optimization. I've seen it as low as 0.57% per hour and typically it's around 0.8-1%.

If you don't need emails/phone calls while you sleep then you can probably improve it further by turning the radios off while you sleep (eg. Flight Mode) or use Blocking Mode to control which notifications are allowed.

If your battery is draining quickly even when not being used, then you may have a rogue process that's running even if you can't see it & the only way I've found to remove that on Stock GS3 is to power cycle the phone.

Kagedtime

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had a lot of success with the app Greenify. Of let's you stop apps from running in the background. It does need root though I believe. I used it to hibernate Facebook And other trouble apps.
Doesn't help with Android OS drain or anything like that unfortunately.

Posted via Android Central App

Aaron Watson

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well when i go to sleep, i turn off wifi, mobile data, gps and all those power hungry stuff and i only lose 3-4% during sleep. C: As for high ram usage, is your performance affected? Mine redraws the homescreen but thats a software issue that should be fixed in the next update. Anyway, aslong as the performance is unaffected, you shouldnt bother.

Posted via Android Central App from my Samsung Galaxy S3! GT-19300