All notifications/ringtones are stuck on silent

cofthea

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
S3, 4.1.2

Sound mode on
All volume sliders maxed out

I go to settings>sound>device ringtone and it says silent.

I select it and navigate to the sound I want (which plays just fine on the phone in any player)
Once I select the song it returns me to the menu where it still says silent.

This happens for device ringtone, default notification, facebook app notification, hancent, gmail, email, you name it.

All of my device sounds are stuck on silent despite the phone not being on silent.

Any help would be appreciated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
S3, 4.1.2

Sound mode on

I select it and navigate to the sound I want (which plays just fine on the phone in any player)

This happens for device ringtone, default notification, facebook app notification, hancent, gmail, email, you name it.

All of my device sounds are stuck on silent despite the phone not being on silent.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reboot the phone and see if that helps. Otherwise, check through the settings and see if there is quiet time set all day. This would set all sounds to silent.

Rajashekar Reddy

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I am facing exactly same problem:
Sound mode on

Rebooting the phone didn't help, and I could not find any setting like "quiet time".

Please help, Thanks in advance.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Rajashekar,
You don't have any apps installed that modify the sound profile?

If you boot into Safe mode does this same thing occur?

Have you made sure that Settings -> Accessibility -> Turn off all sounds is unchecked?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

AppleisFacist

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just had this problem on my phone; here's the solution. You need to use your phone's default file explorer apps. If you're like me, you have a third party file explorer installed, but for some reason the device is now refusing to accept selections from that program. For notification tones, you want to use the program with the android logo. For ringtones, you want to use "sound picker."

If, when you try to change tones, your 3rd party program automatically opens, you need to clear the defaults for it. Go to application manager, find your program, and hit the button that says "clear defaults."

Hope this helps someone :D

Declan McHugh

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the problem with the Galaxy S5 and I have to change the Settings > Sound and Notifications > Interruptions, and check Phone Calls and uncheck the rest.

Took me a week to figure this out, relief

louhardt

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I may have just found the answer to this - at least on my Coolpad. Time will tell but I went into Settings, System Profiles, found the little gear by Silent and looked into the 'triggers' that can activate Silent. I have disabled triggering by Bluetooth and by WiFi. Will see how that works. I noticed that at work where there is no wifi I had no problem. Got home where wifi exists and bingo, I was in silent. We shall see.

colorunr

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
As noted previously, this has to do with using a third party app to select your ringtone. Incidentally, it will let you use some apps (e.g., Solid Explorer doesn't work, but 3C Toolbox does)... Note too that Android's default will direct you to the ringtones folder (/system/media/audio) that contains the stock *.ogg files, and it won't let you browse other folders on the phone. To fix this you can clear Media Storage defaults in the Application Manager and choose a different file manager to browse.

rojaac

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I just had this problem on my phone; here's the solution. You need to use your phone's default file explorer apps. If you're like me, you have a third party file explorer installed, but for some reason the device is now refusing to accept selections from that program. For notification tones, you want to use the program with the android logo. For ringtones, you want to use "sound picker."

If, when you try to change tones, your 3rd party program automatically opens, you need to clear the defaults for it. Go to application manager, find your program, and hit the button that says "clear defaults."

Hope this helps someone :D

Thanks so much for this post, while it didn't directly help, it put me in the right direction. There was annoying app Aeris that needed too many permissions which I refused to give. Turns out it was the culprit ! Why the hell does Android allow 3rd parties to be the default for a ******* ringtone is incomprehensible!

daniel dredd

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
yeah I was having a similar problem or what you have to do is to scroll your top menu down and c if do not disturb me mode is on and if it is just off it[

Dena Norris

Mar 1, 2018
Visit site
Ringtones are stuck on silent

I just figured this problem out on my phone. On the right upper button push it until volume comes up there's a little arrow down, click on that and you'll see ringtone on the slider bar and you can slide it back on.

RusiQ

Jun 4, 2019
Visit site
Re: Ringtones are stuck on silent — SOLVED

I encountered a similar problem — the ringtone do not playing during an incoming call

In the Settings -> Sound & notifications -> General -> Phone ringtone — when I select a ringtone, it does not play.

Although when I try to select a Notification sound, they are played fine.

After rebooting the phone, the first call plays the melody, but the next calls are quiet.

None of the things described in the comments helped me.

But I thought logically and found a solution:

1. Open Settings -> Applications -> [three dot button] Show system

*Or on another Android versions swipe to All Applications or find where in your version of android a list of all applications including system.

2. Find the Media storage app, tap it for open App info and make Clear data

*In your version of android you may need to click something else, such as Storage, but you need to find Clear data

3. Restart the phone and wait a few minutes.

Now look in the Settings -> Sound & notifications -> General -> Phone ringtone

If you do not see the list of system ringtones, wait for the incoming call or just call your phone from another phone and your phone should ring with standard factory ringtone.

After that, the system ringtones will appear in the list and you can choose the one you want as usual and all ringtones will be played.