Problems regarding power button

xSkye

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed my S3 shutting off randomly 2-3 days ago. Initially I couldn't figure out what was the problem, but then I discovered that whenever I hit the power button it shuts off the phone. Also, when I try to turn off my phone manually, the menu that pops up will flicker and I cannot touch it. Does anyone know what the problem is and what I can do to solve it? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sure sounds screwy. Consider a cache partition wipe as described here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html. Make sure to select "Wipe cache partition," and not "Erase data." You won't lose any important data with a cache wipe.

You could also try starting the phone in Safe Mode (Samsung Galaxy S III - Enable and Disable Safe Mod... - Mobile Product Support Forums). If it works fine, then one of the apps you installed might be messing up the system.

If none of that works, here's a long shot. Check out this article (Hidden Secret Codes for Google Android Mobile Phones - Tweaking with Vishal)--the 7594 code supposedly can change the power button to a shut off button, but the problem is that I can't find a code that changes it back.

xSkye

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That sure sounds screwy. Consider a cache partition wipe as described here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html. Make sure to select "Wipe cache partition," and not "Erase data." You won't lose any important data with a cache wipe.

You could also try starting the phone in Safe Mode (Samsung Galaxy S III - Enable and Disable Safe Mod... - Mobile Product Support Forums). If it works fine, then one of the apps you installed might be messing up the system.

If none of that works, here's a long shot. Check out this article (Hidden Secret Codes for Google Android Mobile Phones - Tweaking with Vishal)--the 7594 code supposedly can change the power button to a shut off button, but the problem is that I can't find a code that changes it back.

Thank you for the reply. I've tried the first two options, but the problem isn't fixed. I think for now I'll avoid using the power button and wait until I can purchase a new phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed my S3 shutting off randomly 2-3 days ago. Initially I couldn't figure out what was the problem, but then I discovered that whenever I hit the power button it shuts off the phone. Also, when I try to turn off my phone manually, the menu that pops up will flicker and I cannot touch it. Does anyone know what the problem is and what I can do to solve it? Thanks

Some S3 devices started to develop hardware power button issues. But those I have heard of we're almost at the 2 year mark.

Thanks, B. Diddy! To the OP, this suggestion, and your response of it not working is what is prompting me to say it's hardware. If it was software, the cache clear should have helped some, if not completely curing the problem.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781